Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Size After Surgery And 4 Years Later

This is probably posted somewhere already, but I ran across this video of a patient have VSG surgery performed. At the 8:30 mark, there is a side by side comparison of the upper GI photographs of a patient's sleeve immediately after surgery, and then the same patient's sleeve 4 years later. As you can see, the sleeve does get bigger. However, it's nowhere near the size of a normal stomach. It made me feel much better to see that after 4 years, the sleeve should still be a small enough size to be an effective tool. It just depends on what we decide to put in it!

Here's a screenshot if you're squeamish about the surgery portion of the video.

sP8UT.png

Also just after surgery, it is very swollen inside, so there is probably less difference than is even shown there.

Interesting pics. I wonder what that patient's success rate is.

I don't know, I would say the difference would be greater. The one on the left is right after surgery. The bigger one on the right is 4 years later.

Also just after surgery, it is very swollen inside, so there is probably less difference than is even shown there.

Interesting pics. I wonder what that patient's success rate is.

Wow this is really interesting!! Thank you so much for posting this!! I think this is one of the biggest fears people have about the sleeve. We always hear about this "window" that will close on us at a year or so out. But I think a lot of that is our anxiety. It's true that we can eat more as time goes on than we could in the beginning. But it's also VERY true that the stomach will never grow back and can only stretch but so much. Here we have an example at 4 years out even!! I love it. You have done a great service to everyone by posting this.

This is very interesting and very reassuring... it reflects the difference I have found 19mths post op! My max capacity, depending on the texture of the food is 7-8oz; my average is about 6oz (cooked weight)... That would take me all day at around the 4mth marker and hasn't changed since around the 10mth marker.

Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting. I'm going to get a copy of my post op xrays. Maybe some day, I'll be able to compare mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Very heartening, considering that the original stomach could hold up to 5 quarts. Thank you for the info.

Wow!! Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It's really good to see that this will be a tool for the rest of our lives.

Very Interesting info Jackie :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Wow! Thank you for posting this Jackie! My surgeon told me before my surgery, that he had one revision he performed, and he did a plication (sp?). It was someone who had gained most of the weight back and had stretched her stomach significantly. He explained that it could happen but that it was very, very rare. Apparently she had some serious food issues she was unable to get a hold of just yet. My surgeon was Cirangle and he's performed thousands of sleeves and has been doing them very early on. So this tells me that the info you posted is the norm and that for the most part we can expect to have continued success. There's always an outlier, but overall it looks pretty good for us sleevers! :-) Thanks again for posting!

I don't know, I would say the difference would be greater. The one on the left is right after surgery. The bigger one on the right is 4 years later.

I mean the difference between the new tummy and the 4 year old tummy would be less when compared in volume than is demonstrated in the photo.

The new tummy is swollen inside, so the barium you see is not how much the new tummy can hold because it is swollen from surgery, limiting the appearance of the volume it can hold. Sans swelling it can hold a bit more. so the difference in the volume of the new tummy would be even less than it appears - which is a good thing.

Very heartening, considering that the original stomach could hold up to 5 quarts. Thank you for the info.

5 quarts!? That's amazing. I'm so grateful for my 8 oz. tummy!

Yep, Cirangle told his support group that the original stomach can hold up to 60oz -- that's HUGE! After VSG, they are around 2-3oz and eventually with time that will stretch x3. So in the end, having a 6-9oz stomach. Still much smaller than it was originally. All the more reasons to continue to watch what you eat down the line so it doesn't come back. I see the first 3-6 months as just training for the marathon of life to come!

Me and my Hubby discussed that. I have no intention of stretching out my stomach more than the healthy progression allows but I have decided to put away additional funds so that should the time come I will redo the surgery, if necessary.

Great post!