Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discomfort After Food Or Drink

So when I got home I was having gas problems but that has subsided. Now when I drink the smallet amount of liquid or my cream soups/oatmeal (as approved by doctor) I feel this tightening. It goes away shortly but its really uncomftorable. I have been sipping and I know that I am not putting too much on my spoon as I have been following dime size bites. Did anyone experience this as well? Other then that my energy is getting better every day! I can't wait to get my staples removed and move to the next phases of my diet!

I've been having the same tightening. I'm about 4 days post op and I definitely notice it more when I drink stuff that is too cool. Warm stuff is not as bad. But you really don't feel like taking in anymore because of the discomfort, and I'm also having trouble with the clear Protein stuff. They keep telling me it will get easier. You hang in there. We Can Do This!

4 days po here and those pains seem to be getting worse! I actually thought I was h ing a heart attack this morning as I was woken by the tightest chest pain ever and could t breath or move for about 1min. I'm seeing my dr today for a chest X-ray but nurse said she is positive it's gas. Warm broth and peppermint tea seem to be all I can get down without horrible pangs of pain. And I'm burping like nobody's ever heard, so I know I'm getting it out!!!;)

Experiencing same thing, it's getting less each day.

It does get better when normal careful eating. If later on during solids you eat too much or too quickly you will have pain. The tool is there working for you and reminding you.

I had my surgery 8 days ago and I had the same tightness with Water and tea and I could only take baby sips. Out of the blue, it cleared up a lot yesterday...I am able to drink almost normally now and only have a little tightness after I have a "meal" of strained creamed Soups.

It does get better and may only take a couple more days of healing to make a huge difference.

:0)

This is why I love this forum! I realize over and over I'm truly not alone..Thank you for your responses :)

So when I got home I was having gas problems but that has subsided. Now when I drink the smallet amount of liquid or my cream soups/oatmeal (as approved by doctor) I feel this tightening. It goes away shortly but its really uncomftorable. I have been sipping and I know that I am not putting too much on my spoon as I have been following dime size bites. Did anyone experience this as well? Other then that my energy is getting better every day! I can't wait to get my staples removed and move to the next phases of my diet!

I'm still on clears until Tuesday morning. :/ Then I get to add the cream Soup and Protein shakes. I'm a little nervous about it!

I had the same pain in the early days. Not everyone has it and people were telling me that I was eating too much or too fast. But it hurt even when I swallowed my own saliva. Tell me how that was too much or too fast!?

Anyway, it does get better. About 4-5 weeks later the pain was mostly history. I don't know if the Prilosec I started helped or if it just took time. But I'm 7 mos.out and never have pain unless I DO eat too much or too fast. I can gulp Water when my stomach is empty and no problem. Hang in there!

I am 5 days PO and my stomach has definitely settled down. I was horribly nauseous and couldn't even keep Water down the first 2 days I was in the hospital and then after the upper GI showed that my sleeve was fine - no leak, no blockage - the silly thing settled down. How much of it was just in my head? I don't know. The mind is a powerful opponent ;-) When I drink ice water I get a "clench" and then it feels like it rolls out of it. I would call it a spasm feeling, but it's not painful at all. And I'm not hungry. I think I have to be very careful to make sure I am getting enough nutrients. This is all new to me - being careful with myself at all. Very strange journey I have embarked upon indeed.

I'm only two days out,when I take sips of Water it hurts a little and I immediately have to burb. I don't wanna force the water down but I definely don't want to be dehydrated either. Anyone else felt this discomfort in this early stage?

I am 6 days out and still burp and hear my stomach. The soreness with drinking is almost gone. I am able to drink more everyday. Everyday it's easier.

I woke up in my hospital room after my surgery screaming " I'm having a heart attack!" I had no surgical pain, but this was enough to kill. My doc fixed it right away. He said it was esophageal spasms and that they were truly excruciating. He ordered morphine and Valium by IV to kind of paralyze it. He also informed me mine were made worse by some of my maintenance meds. Unfortunately I was allergic to the morphine and went into respiratory arrest; so there was a bit of drama there too. Ultimately they worked out a combo of Dilaudid and Valium that let me have less pain and be alive at the same time Every time I tried to take a sip I had one though. It felt like someone was trying to squeeze my heart out through my throat! I only took in about 12oz. The entire time I was in the hospital. I was actually surprised they sent me home. He did tell me it would get better every day and it has. I'm six days out now and my problem is not pain, but extreme tightness. Water bubbles up after just a couple of sips. I've also been given the wrong diet foods list and orders and that def was not a fun experience, but alas that is another post