Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Disappointed In The Amount Of Weight Lost? Wish It Was More?

I do get disappointed at times. I lost most of my weight directly after surgery and now am averaging 1-2 pounds per week. I am eating on average 1100-1200 cals/day and am rather sedentary.

I'll remind myself that I'm losing consistently, mostly do not feel the insanity with food--the BEST GIFT I could've been given, and am making permanent changes in the way I eat.

I know I'll not only reach my goal in time but more importantly will be able to manage my weight long-term. In my experience, reaching goal quickly lends to more grandiosity which leads to rebound weight gain.

The more weight you have to lose the longer the process. If you were 20 your skin would bounce back more and faster. Granted they may be able to lose faster but if you are in your 50's like me slow is good as I do not want to end up with sagging and hanging skin and look like I am much older than I am. As long as you are losing there is not much to complain about.

Some great advice here! I am now losing as slow as a snail. I am giving myself the whole year to lose my last 7 pounds. It might even take longer than that at this speed! I am also not on a "diet" though I do write down what I eat and do exercise regularly. I know I can keep this up, and I won't jump ship because I'm tired of the way I am eating. Would I like to lose it NOW? He11 yes. Its human nature to want what you want now.

Same here "Iwish". Losing too fast can be a bad thing because a lot, if not most of that weight will be muscle. I've lost well over 40 pounds in 3+ months and some people would think that's failure. But I'm also really close to my strength (weight room marks) as I was before I lost the weight. So I now I've retained a lot of muscle, so most of my weight loss has been fat. Slow, steady weightloss works for me.

Hang in there "Emmasmom" and don't get discouraged. You're doing well, just enjoy life and be reasonable with food and exercise.

Same here "Iwish". Losing too fast can be a bad thing because a lot, if not most of that weight will be muscle. I've lost well over 40 pounds in 3+ months and some people would think that's failure. But I'm also really close to my strength (weight room marks) as I was before I lost the weight. So I now I've retained a lot of muscle, so most of my weight loss has been fat. Slow, steady weightloss works for me.

Hang in there "Emmasmom" and don't get discouraged. You're doing well, just enjoy life and be reasonable with food and exercise.

hi Aroundhky can u plz inform me about ur diet and workout schedule , cuz im planning to de the same u did here :)

I know how you feel. I'm also a slow loser. But I just try to remember that I was gaining the same amount every month. It might be slow but at least I'm losing. =)

I am 6 months out and I have lost a good amount of weight, but, not as much as I was hoping for. I am 6 months out and I am down 61 lbs since surgery. (18 of the pounds was immediate after surgery) Which I no way could have done on my own, but, I just feel like my weight loss is slowed drastically and I really have to work at losing now, going to the gym 4/5 days a week and eating healthy. The honeymoon is over and im scared that if I dont exercise or eat low carb that I will gain and/or just not lose anymore weight. Its exhausting how much effort I have to put into losing weight. I dont want people to think, boy, she had weight loss surgery and she is still fat! Plus I can eat normal size portions. Not big ones, but, I can eat a small meal with my family! I stay away from potatoes, rice, Pasta and most bread products, on occasion I will have wheat bread or crackers. Anyway, how are you doing this far out and further? Does the weight still come off after the window of opportunity is passed? I need some hope and encouragement!

This could be my story except I am at 7 months and have lost 60 pounds. My doctor has even given me a med to try to help me start losing again. I need to lose 30 more pounds. I am so afraid my weight loss has come to a halt. I haven't seen the scale move since early December. This is very frustrating. On a good note, my Diabetes is much better. I am thankful for what I have lost, but I have been so discouraged the last week or so. I guess when I see and hear so many stories of huge losses and Diabetes resolved early on, it makes me feel like a failure. I just need to get to goal for my health. I need some assurance it will happen.

I think this is the best thread I have ever read here. I have stated so many times that this is a lifestyle change and not a race! We eat about 10% of what we used to eat, healthy choices, daily excersize, with that said, We can not fail! the weight will come off, maybe slowly, maybe faster. Depends on your body, when it lets it go. I lost the first 50 pounds really fast and easy, then the loss started to slow, now I loose 1-3 pounds per week at this point. The key to my understanding this slow down period is now I'm getting all the nutrients that I need to build muscle, not like the first few weeks where loss was muscle and fat. I'm now loosing fat! Just fat! I don't work out in a gym, I work at the things that I enjoy to do on a daily basis. I fish, work on my dump trucks, etc. Just move and keep moving. I can climb, run, walk, squat, whatever and it's getting easier. Yes the weight loss is helping, but I'm building muscle again in places that I lost that from being fat and not doing these things. Thats why the weight loss has slowed down. When I first was sleeved, I had figured I would be down to 230 by march 5th 2012, well I'll be down to 240 or so on March 5th, thats a long shot from 316 on Dec 16th 2011. LOL Your not a failure, your sleeve is not a failure, give it time. all the time it needs and concentrate on living healthy, eating only good food and being thankful for what we have done while making this a change in our lives that we can live this way for the rest of our lives.

Hi there! I'm almost 6 months out and we had about the same starting weight and I've lost 65lbs so far. I know some people consider this slow but I really don't. It sounds to me like you're doing great, eating right, exercising, and still losing.

For me, it feels like I had surgery ages ago, and for the most part I feel normal. I tolerate most foods and and don't always make stellar choices with few ill effects, but for the most part I try to do what I'm supposed to do. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It isn't over until we get to goal or give up.

Iwishfit...... my diet is fairly typical for most on this board. I make sure I get my Protein in first during meals. However, I've been going through "bulking phases" and "cutting phases" the past 2 months, each being around 2-3 weeks at a time. Well, modified versions of those phases anyway, I'm far from a body builder. This so called cutting phase, I really reduce my carbs a lot, and do more cardio and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). From what I hear, this is supposed to burn fat, but helps you retain muscle better than doing long hour sessions of cardio like running for miles. However, I've found that sometimes this carb reduction leaves me really tired by the end of the day. If so, I will sometimes eat a slower digesting carb or complex carb like oatmeal for dinner with Protein added. During the bulking phase, I may take in 200-300 more calories a day than during the cutting phase, with more carbs. This helps to at least maintain muscle, if not build it slowly. Just keep in mind, we can no longer do like those big body builder guys who take in 4,000-5,000 cals a day to help build muscle. So our muscle gain is going to be very slow. But I think over time, or I'm at least hoping so, that a year or two down the road I will still be muscular and strong like I was before, but without the added fat. Also, after some intense heavy lifting, I often have some simple surgars with my protein right after the workout. So many times, I will add my protein to a sugary sports drink like Gatorade to replace the glycogen in my muscles. This is the only time I have ANY simple carbs. Your muscles are tired and need it and those simple carbs (sugars) tend to not be stored as fat. But only after an intense workout. That's just the way I've tweaked my diet, but my other meals are a lot like everyone else, get in that protein first. Especially for the weight lifters wanting to build some muscle.

As for my workouts, I will do the "cutting" for a couple of weeks. During this time, my cardio consists of HIIT. I started out doing this on the stationary bike. I would sprint on the bike for 20-30 secs and then go slow for a minute and a half or so, then repeat the sprint and rest, back and forth for 25-30 mins. My goal is to keep my heart rate around 125-140 during the whole process. I do this 4-5 times a week. I now do this on the treadmill running, and hopefully when it's nicer outside, I'll do this on the track. During this phase, I just do maintenence lifting once or twice a week. Then when I hit the bulking phase, I do very little cardo, but very intence lifting during this time. I lift 4 days a week, but some of that will depend on your goals, age and recovery time. So this is my approach so far. I've not lost tons on weight during the 3+ months since surgery, but I have lost fat steadily and I'm still pretty strong and maitained most muscle and have built a good bit the past month. Let me know how you are doing so far.........

I totally agree with Iwishfit, slower is better. I'm going into my 3rd year and for the past year have maintained my weight. I've lost all of my weight that the doctor wanted me to loose, but sure I wish i could lose 30 lbs more. . .will I? probably not, cause of my frame and structure of my body. . .am I happy, YOU BETCHA! At least I don't weigh what I did before and can do so many more things that I could not do before. . . but of course, I'll keep working at it to see what can be done to lose that extra few pounds, but i'm def not going to kill myself doing it. . . if i loose, i loose, if not then not. . . good luck!

I will admit, i am a bit discouraged about my weight loss. I am 8 months out and have lost only 62lbs or so. Since November, my weight loss has slowed tremendously and have since only lost maybe 6lbs. If that! Im scared that i won't hit goal. I want to be down to 125 and that just seems so far away. I know that i would not have been able to lose the 60lbs without my sleeve and my health has improved drastically because of the sleeve. But i just wish i was one of the sleevers that the weight just melted off. I am thankful for my tool, but there are times i feel like my tool is broken :(

I am with those who say "yes I am disappointed"...but I also agree I am so much better off today than I was 4 months ago, for that I am so happy and grateful. I am getting a little nervous, it seems I am eating more as I look at my daily calorie count in my fitness, no longer does 2 oz work for me. I am exercising 3-4 days a week for 34 minutes but weight loss is slow.

Since January 11, I have lost 12 lbs, in 46 days. I have a lot more to go, so I will just keep plugging along. I just pray I do not stop or stall for a long period, I do not want old habits to creep up :(

Hi there!

I am VERY disapointed with my so called progress!!! I am a year out and have only lost 80lbs (most of which I have lost before surgery.) I too can eat larger portions than I think I should be able to eat. I was exercising and dieting religiously and would only lose 1 pound every 7-14 days!! Needless to say I gave up! Now, I haven't gained any weight back no matter what I do or don't do, but it's still frustrated!

I should mention that when I had my sleeve done, I also had a nissen fundoplication (a proceedure that helps control severe acid reflux) and I was told that I would never be able to gulp liquids, burp, or vomit...EVER! Guess what? I can do those things (have been doing them frequently) I went to see a different surgeon (my actual surgeon refused to scope me because he thought I was being a lazy cry baby) and she says that my surgeon wasn't supposed to do both proceedures especially not at once and that my stomach is way bigger than it should be for someone who has had a sleeve.....

Get a second opinion!

So will they go in and correct it???

I was a slow loser. At first, it really bothered me. I just decided that it might take me awhile, but I wasn't going to give up. I finally got to a normal weight after 14 months. Don't put a timeline on yourself. What's the rush anyway as long as you get there? Hugs and hang in there.

So will they go in and correct it???

I hope so! I found a different surgeon and she has started sending me out for all those wonderful tests to see what the problem rally is and how she can fix it.

I had a Barium Xray on Friday...I dont know the official results yet but I do know that my stomach litterally looked like it was shaped like a POM juice bottle!!!! =o(