Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling Experienced Sleevers - - Tell Me It Gets Better?!

So I was sleeved on 2/13, went well and was home the next day not in 'horrible' pain. Still am not in 'horrible' pain other than when I try to sip much or take in some yogurt. Which I feel like I have to do as I'm not eating anything really and know I've got to get in some calories and Protein and fluids...but it feels so uncomfortable everytime I do. Not to mention I'm really sick o'protein drinks and plain yogurt (since the liquids only stage prior to surgery). I think I've hit the post-op day of "buyers remorse" because it feels like I'm not seeing any benefit yet am not able to eat ANYTHING good nor get around very quickly yet. It actually feels kind of depressing, like "what have I done to myself?" PLEASE tell me if you felt this way a week or two out and if it got better. Will I EVER be able to eat normal again? Man how I love mexican food. Even just a couple bites some day? I feel like crap today - seem to get real achy now and then all over (from my neck on down) like you've got the flu. But my temp is normal. So why the achies? I went for a 15 min walk today - very slow going but at least got outdoors and did it. Just not sure at this moment if I made the right decision with this permanent life-changer....

I know you said experienced sleevers and we are all different with different advice from our doctors. Yet I was sleeved on 02/04 and was on Clear Liquids for 10days post surgery. I just started full liquids :protein drinks, yogart, ect. I did try a few days earlier, like at day 7 and felt one day the same way you are descibing. I was told to truly just worry about hydration first then after 10 days concentrate more on Proteins. I have been recovering really weill , other than the one day I tried to take full liquids. Hope this helps.

I am not super experienced (just 5 and a half weeks out), but I can totally promise you that it gets better every day. Other than taking naps, I feel much more normal. This is a major surgery and recovery both physically and mentally really does take time. I am still getting used to my new portion size. Change is hard, but I know this one is really worth it.

Be gentle with yourself. It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and emotional at your stage.

I was sleeved on 2/8. I have been told to stay on liquids only for a month. The long incision/staple line of your stomach needs time to heal....Hope it helps. I too have had "buyer remorse" but that has passed. I still feel sorry for myself at times and wonder if I am ever going to be normal again, but those times are getting fewer as the days post surgery go.

I was sleeved August 17th, 2011! It absolutely gets better! The 1st few weeks are rough, but, I am 6 months out and I eat EVERYTHING! No restrictions. No issues. My food intake is less, but, I can still eat a meal. I just had 4 chicken wings and a half piece of my husbands chicken parm. For Breakfast, I have no problem eating a 3 egg cheese omlette, I eat 3 quarters of it. Some times I think I eat too much! Be careful of the sliders, like crackers because they go down real easy! Today was a bad eating day. I usually eat much healthier, but, I am going through a lot of stress and one of my triggers for over eating is stress.

But, the discomfort will be a thing of the past in 2-3 weeks. Once solids are introduced you will be in a much happier place! Then your gonna get mad at all the stalls! LOL! But, it is totally worth it! Good luck!

I was sleeved on 2/8. I have been told to stay on liquids only for a month. The long incision/staple line of your stomach needs time to heal....Hope it helps. I too have had "buyer remorse" but that has passed. I still feel sorry for myself at times and wonder if I am ever going to be normal again, but those times are getting fewer as the days post surgery go.

I was sleeved on 2/13/12 and I need some inspration - I am really sore nausated and just really not feeling too good - does this get better? Please send me a Facebook friend request at DawnaBailey I wold love to chat with anyone who is having success

I as sleeved on Jan 30, so I'm on day 17 now. And YES, it absolutely does get better. I was on here posting in my first week how I could not see the light at all. The first week does seem to be the toughest, and it gets better day by day. There are ups and downs in between, but they seems to be getting smaller each time. I absolutely hated the Protein drinks at first, but now I don't even notice them -- they're like sipping on a Water bottle now -- just THERE. And mexican food is my favorite, too. I can't tell you how many times we went past my favorite place and I wanted to cry. Now, I barely notice. I know I'll get to have it again, in smaller portions, when the time is right. And so will you!

The aches and pains may be because you are lying around more than usual and tensing more when you are active. Try to do some mild stretching and use hot packs, liquid Tylenol, massages to help you through. My back was killing me from how much I was hunching over to protect my sensitive belly. And quite often there is reference pain from the abdomen/diaphragm. That whole area was stretched and some things shifted during surgery. Not to mention the internal stitches that are healing. Most of that has gone away for me with some mild "aches" when I stay on my side too long or reach for something too high. Try to be patient and think about the last time a week just flew by - like before Christmas.

Things will get better and it will be worth it in the end. Hope you feel better!

I was sleeved on 12/5. The WHOLE first month SUCKS. That is the ugly truth. It does get SOOOO much better. I can eat what I want, just very small portions, which is OK. It is a learning experience and you have to adjust to your new body. I would do it over again ...and again, and again. NO REGRETS. Focus more on your Fluid intake right now. That is the main thing you should work on for the 1st week. Sip, sip, sip and WALK, WALK, WALK. It really does help. This stage is only temporary and it will be a distant memory very soon! Good luck and keep on truckin'!

It gets better - hang in there! I was sleeved 8/10 and like the previous poster, can eat nearly everything (foods that are greasy or really high in fat don't sit well, but otherwise I'm good). I love Mexican food too, and I enjoy it on a fairly regular basis. I get a fajita steak or chicken salad without the fried tortilla shell, and enjoy primarily the Protein with lots of grilled veggies, pico de gallo, salsa, and a bit of sour cream. I even treat myself to a few chips with salsa before the meal!

So, I was told before I left the hospital that the second week would be the worst. I have no idea if that was the case or not. I was completely stoned out of my mind the entire second week because anesthesia cracked one of my teeth and I ended up with a dental abscess and had to wait four days for a root canal. The pain was so horrible (WAY worse than the actual surgery) that I was drinking percoset every four hours. I literally don't remember that week AT ALL. Initially I was pissed! But, now after reading all of this I think I'm probably glad I missed out on all of that!

I'm sorry to everyone who is having a hard time! I hope it gets better! I am 17 days out now and I'm loving life! Honestly, I don't want to be "normal" again like I was before. I'm done with that life and I'm so looking forward to my new one!

I'm 3 weeks out and I can tell you it does get better! Every day! But make sure you get as many liquids in as you can and get your Protein in. It will truly, truly make things better!

and don't forget to walk walk walk!

Oh yeah. If you do a search for my posts, you will see the exact same "oh, my gosh, what have I done?" post from me back when I was first sleeved. I had SERIOUS buyer's remorse! And it took what seemed like forever for my sleeve to heal and for me to be able to tolerate more than just a couple of bites of food. I still can't/don't eat much at a time, but I'm healthy and full of energy. And yeah, losing over 100 pounds ROCKS. Y'all hang in there--you will soon begin to feel 100% better and be able to enjoy your new, slimmer, healthier lives. I promise it gets TONS better.

ALL - I can't thank you enough for all of the great encouragement and words of wisdom!!!!!! Yesterday was a TOUGH day for me!! Total pity party!! But today I feel much better mentally and a little better physically... the soreness seems to be getting a little better each day. And I'm finding a couple new 'liquids' that seem to taste good (cream o'chick Soup mixed with chick broth...someone else had posted this. can only do about 1/4 a cup but mmm is it delicious!) Just got back from about a 10 min walk, was fairly winded but it was good to move. One day at a time............... THANK YOU for all the super posts yesterday. Hopefully those days are few and far between. :-) Best wishes to all.

I'm a 1/30 sleever, too - so almost 3 weeks out. I'm by no means experienced, but I TOTALLY understand what you're going through. I have to say that I almost feel back to normal. It's hard to believe because that first week was pretty rough. Remember that every day is a new day and you're getting better and better. Be patient and have faith in your decision to do this. I suspect you'll be looking back in a few weeks the way I am now and thinking "wow - that was hard, but I'm on the road to recovery now!" You're only a few days out, so it's very normal and understandable that you feel the way you do. Go easy and slow; stick to liquids; rest and baby yourself as you're healing; don't push it.