Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Sure If Surgery Worked?

I'm 5 days after my surgery and I feel normal. I'm not sore and I'm still very hungry. How could this be? I feel like the surgery didn't even work for me. Granted I would rather have this problem than and complications or problems, but it doesn't seem right. I don't have any problems drinking Water, milk, juice, or anything. I finally couldn't stand it today and even tried eating "real" foods, instead of full liquids. I had four pieces of marble cheddar cheese, 2 saltine crackers, and 1/3 cup of popcorn all in one sitting and feel fine. Still hungry! Anybody else ever felt this way? This can't be right......

This sounds like head hunger to me. I've had that to and you need to listen to the difference. I would not jump ahead from your liquid diet you do not want to disrupt staples and healing. Your stomach is not ready to digest that food even if your head is.

I don't think that it's head hunger, but I don't know for sure. If my stomach couldn't handle it, wouldn't I have felt something? Been in pain, or any sort of feeling?

I'm 10 days post op and having a lot of head hunger. I'm rarely physically hungry even eating tiny bits. By eating foods before your stomach is ready could actually stretch your stomach and negate the surgery. You may not have symptoms like diarrhea or nausea yet if you are having a hard time adhering to the rules now just think about when you can eat real food. You want to start new behaviors and remember why you did this.

Thank you Punkypoo for your comment, I needed that! I think 10 days of preop liquid diet and 5 days of postop liquid diet is just really getting to me. I have come to realize that I am a food addict and it's going to be so hard to adjust to a new way of eating. I love food and miss it so much! I will get back on track ASAP! Thank you again!

MrsSweny please, please don't risk your health by jumping ahead of your diet. I know it's hard. I have head hunger too. Everything smells better. My husband bought this huge cookie frosting thing and ate it right next to me. You may not know if you'll react to the foods you've eaten yet. The liquid /mushy diet is to prevent the stomach from working to hard to digest food so that it can heal. I would think popcorn kerns could get stuck in the staples.

I'm only 3 days post op so I'm definitely no pro but, I've read on here that the acid in the stomach makes us feel hungry soon after surgery. Many posters have said taking an anti-acid helps with the feelings of hunger. In the meantime go crazy with sf popicles and sf Jello.

We'll get to eat real food soon. Get on here and type away to keep your hands and head busy. Don't risk complications.

Take care. We're in this together.

If you want to do cheats, I can not even convey how much your cheats should be safe, wise food choices. Like maybe a slice of turkey or cottage cheese or Soup. When I read 'popcorn' I think my heart literally stopped! Please don't put yourself at risk!

Anytime! We all need the support of eachother here. This is hard and remember it will take time. You ate the way you did for your whole life so give yourself time to adjust. Just remember your goal and practice good behaviors now:)

You are really playing with fire by eating solid foods so early - You are increasing your likelyhood of a leak or other complications by 500%!

Your "hunger" could be head hunger or even acid. There's a reason you are given a post op diet to follow and that reason is so you don't tear the very fragile and tender wall of your stomach.

Wow....seriously?? That's a good bit of food at 5 days post op, and just because you didn't feel anything, doesn't mean anything. The reason we are put on a post op diet is because the stomach is not healed and a lot of nerves in our stomachs have been cut and we might not feel the correct "full signals" like we should which tells us to stop eating. In the case of a newly cut stomach and a staple line, this is VERY dangerous, and you are putting yourself at an unnecessary risk with this behavior. You are already at a risk of a leak post op with this surgery, but eating too soon and too much is really pushing your luck. I hope you're ok. I would watch my temperature closely if I were you and contact your Dr with any fever or abdominal pain or extreme left shoulder pain. I am very concerned for your safety.

Thanks everyone!!! I think the surgery made my brain dull! Obviously, I'm not clearly thinking properly. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything and I'm definately NOT going to do that again. Just a moment of weakness.

man when you said popcorn I about had a panick attack, I am 3 months out and still havnt had popcorn, dont know if I will ever do it. but it wasnt until recently that I started being hungry , you should feel lucky that you are not sick, the thought of food that early made me want to throw up, for the first week and 1/2 all I ate was a 1/2 yogurt I was only getting like 70 calories a day, please dont harm yourself, you are just one of the lucky ones that is not in pain.. it will work just be patient and stick to your plan. good luck.

I started feeling hungry about 5 days out too. That was the day I had to be around others eating. I wasn't feeling much restriction on liquids either so all my Soups and other fluids went down totally fine. The things that saved me were strained progresso soups that I'd thin a little with beef or chicken broth depending on the Soup. It messed with my head to throw out the rest of the soup but I got over it. Those soups were much more satisfying.

I had a really easy recover like you've indicated and the transition to "real" foods isn't a cake-walk. Getting used to eath 1/3 cup at a time is tough, I sort-of feel like why bother and yet I know I need to eat- and I'm hungry or at least my head is. I don't mean to complain, I'd do this again in a heart beat but it has it's challenges!

Good luck and like others have said, the best things we can do four ourselves is to stick to our surgeon's food plan for these healing months. Our health is worth the short trial. Hugs to you-

All have said what I woudl said, head hunger and/or acid reflux can make you think you are hungry when you are not. I felt a TON of head hunger in the liquid phase and it was really really annoying. I did suck on some dove chocolates and let them melt, and that I am sure was not good. I also did some ridiculous things which I now know have names, like chewing up food and spitting it back out just to chew and taste it. So I understand the feeling. LIke you I had no issues eating post op, I'm about 2 months out now and its amazing how fast time will go (you don't believe me now, but it will), you'll be able to eat more normally (just with focus on Protein and water)