Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Out, How Long Does It Take You To Eat A Meal?

So I've had a horrible time adjusting to my sleeve, with yucky complications. However, I am THRILLED to be on day 2 of NO PUKING!!! I found I can tolerate warm Decaf tea with a touch of peppermint extract. Last night I ate a shot glass full of shredded cheese & today I have kept down 1 oz of applesauce & 2 oz of VERY runny refried Beans. I want to throw myself a party, I am soooo excited to not have my head shoved in my trashcan which hasn't left my side yet since being sleeved. So I know I'm VERY paranoid about going slow. It took me literally an hour & a half to eat 1 oz of applesauce & an hour to eat 2 oz of beans. I sipped my tea last night from 4pm-1am & was able to drink about 40 oz!!!! Am I being overly cautious. Tips are welcomed please!!!

I don't think you're being overly cautious at all!! I think you're doin great! 40 ounces of fluids in 8 hours is good. If you have had a problem with vomiting I would def take it slow. As slow as you want to go,baby your sleeve. Congrats to you and I'm glad you're not getting sick anymore. You should try some greek yogurt,it is awesome and great for Protein. I put a lil sugar free Torani Syrup and sugar free strawberry preserves in mine and it is heavenly!

Question about the vomiting after....I too will likely be nervous about drinking too fast 'cuz I don't want to cause my body to reject whatever went down because I'm afraid of vomiting afterwards. Won't that strain the new sleeve too much? I don't want to strain it & CAUSE a leak. thoughts?

Your dr never gave you meds for nausea??? My dr gave me meds as well as a patch to wear behind my ear for the first two weeks. I never had nausea.

Even with the patch-it was STILL pukefest 2012.

Awesome idea, I tried that this morning, deeelish! Thanks!!!

I don't think you're being overly cautious at all!! I think you're doin great! 40 ounces of fluids in 8 hours is good. If you have had a problem with vomiting I would def take it slow. As slow as you want to go,baby your sleeve. Congrats to you and I'm glad you're not getting sick anymore. You should try some greek yogurt,it is awesome and great for Protein. I put a lil sugar free Torani Syrup and sugar free strawberry preserves in mine and it is heavenly!

Awesome idea, I tried that this morning, deeelish! Thanks!!!

I'm glad!! =) I have found,like many other ppl, that Greek yogurt is easy on my sleeve but I needed to kick it up bc I just can't eat it plain. I am now also eating very soft meats like really tender chicken. I can barely get in an ounce but I still try.lol I use the greek yogurt as a dip. I mix a lil seasoning or even some of the ranch dips seasoning into it and dip the chicken in it. It's great to give the meat more moisture and of course,more protein! =)

I have been eating chicken (no problem) I ate fish for the first time last night and that was ok... I have noticed I can eat more then an ounce now. I ate a 3oz fish fillet but I notice that as I was eating it, it melted in my mouth so I dont really know how much actually went down... LOL

I did not get to more solid foods, albeit very pureed, till around the six week mark! It's a process and you have to be patient. I think you are doing well by taking it slow. When I was first instructed to include soft foods I was petrified! It gets better though. Again, it's a process! Now at 8 months out I can eat anything I want - I limit what I eat based on good choices, not inability or nausea. Hang in there! It will get better!!!

I did not get to more solid foods, albeit very pureed, till around the six week mark! It's a process and you have to be patient. I think you are doing well by taking it slow. When I was first instructed to include soft foods I was petrified! It gets better though. Again, it's a process! Now at 8 months out I can eat anything I want - I limit what I eat based on good choices, not inability or nausea. Hang in there! It will get better!!!

Just wondering how many oz. you can eat during a meal at 8 months? 8I am 9 weeks out and can have 8 oz., but can't get it in. How long did itvtake foryou to eat 8 oz. at a meal?

Oh Gosh I hope I can follow in your recovery-I'm hanging in there, keeping my eye on the prize but sheesh-this is sooooo much rougher than anything I anticipated. But, I know it will all be worth it, & at some point I'll be able to eat without looking at it regurgitated I'm the trashcan. Lol

Just wondering how many oz. you can eat during a meal at 8 months? 8I am 9 weeks out and can have 8 oz., but can't get it in. How long did itvtake foryou to eat 8 oz. at a meal?

I eat anywhere between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of food, o occassion I get to about 1 cup. That's because foods "go down" differently. I focus on lean Proteins and they tend to give you a satisfied, full sensation right away. Carb laden foods seem to fill you up less and that's why people call them "sliders." Also, alot depends on how fast I eat. I need to eat slowly! This has been my challenge. If I relax and take my time and just enjoy each bite, I can eat a little more and also be comfortable. On occassion I forget and revert to slaming some food in my mouth and at about one bite I'm done! :-) So, taking your time makes all the difference. Generally, 40 to 45 minutes is a good time for me to enjoy a nice meal. So if I go out to eat, that's what I do. I even sip on some wine before my meal - something I did not start till after about 6 months. I can eat anythinng, however. I don't like fried foods or very heavy foods and they don't sit with me well. So fo instance, if I have fried calamari, I have one and enjoy it. Not because it filled me up but because I know it won't feel as comfortable and certainly not give me the nutritional value I need. One thing the sleeve really gave me is the ability to have " a taste" or "a bite" of things without feeling deprived if I don't eat more. So for me, it's easy to stay on program. I don't stress so much about how much I ate, more about quality and if I want to try things I just go for it. I will honestly say that it's been a long time (probably since being a teen ager) that I don't have to worry about food! LOL I know everyone is different. But I do want to stress that it takes some patients in allowing your body to regulate and come to its natural place. My sense of all this at this point is that the first year or so is the real adjustment. Then everything becomes the new normal and most of us don't seem to fight it nor have any more difficulties. That's my sense. Others may chime in with different ideas too. (The best part about this board!) I know this is a l longer response than you may have expected! LOL But I think the answer is a little complex, as you an see. At least for me! Happy losing!!! ;-)

Oh Gosh I hope I can follow in your recovery-I'm hanging in there, keeping my eye on the prize but sheesh-this is sooooo much rougher than anything I anticipated. But, I know it will all be worth it, & at some point I'll be able to eat without looking at it regurgitated I'm the trashcan. Lol

I'm sure you will get there! I also wanted to share, as I mentioned in a post above, that for me how fast I eat makes a big difference. Eating slowly and smaller bites was a big adjustment and still will affect me if I revert back to stuffing a bunch of food in mindlessly! I have to take small bites and eat slowly, over a period of at least 30 minutes or else I get nauseaus and sometimes pain, on a couple of occasions I had to throw up! I would just add to be sure and check in with your surgeon so you're at ease that all is well. I'm sure you've done that but I just wanted to throw it out there. Hang in there! You are going to love looking slimmer and trimmer and feeling energetic!!! I fee so good, I don't even thing about food!!!! LOL

I eat anywhere between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of food, o occassion I get to about 1 cup.

Wow I can't believe at 8 month there is such a restriction to only be able to eat about 1/2 cup. He told me I could eat 8 oz. now, but like i said i can't, but I can certainly eat 4 oz! Do you wait 1/2 hour after eating to drink? Also do you only have 3 meals a day at 8 months and 2 Snacks? thanks!