Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Fiance Works With A Fat-Hating Numbskull

GAWD, so tired of overhearing this guy's crap. This is a family firm and my fiance will buy in before the end of the year once the patriarch retires, so it'll be just him and this guy. First off, a while ago my fiance told me that the he suggested this guy go out on a date with my fiance's former coworker who apparently had the hots for him. The guy's response? "I can't go out with someone THAT fat, everybody will make fun of me." Chick's like 40 pounds lighter than me at my heaviest, maybe like a size 10-12? That was only a few months after my surgery, and this guy knows I had surgery, so it was totally inconsiderate - and, considering some other comments he made about women before my boyfriend and I got engaged and he finally realized we were serious and shut up - probably a passive-aggressive indirect jab at me.

Then they were recently looking for a new admin person and it was pretty hard to find someone who was good and yet would be content with this type of job in the long haul. They went through like 200 resumes and interviewed like 5 people the first day. My fiance said one lady was a cut above all the other interviewees and that he felt that she'd be the best hire, but then he told me the other guy didn't want to hire her. Reasoning? "I don't want to hire a fat person." I asked just how big this woman was and she's probably just about my size pre-surgery (I looked up her pic on Facebook, too, to see for myself). She's also had several kids! I wanna see what this dickwad would look like if he popped out like 3 kids.

Anyway, they interviewed like twenty more people, wasting a ton of their own time and these other women's time just because this bonehead doesn't like "fatties." In the end, that woman did end up getting hired because she was still better than everyone else.

GOD, I can't STAND this guy, but it looks like he's gonna be in my life for the long haul since my SO is buying into the business.

Discrimination and hatred of fat, obese, overweight (whatever you want to call it) is extremely rampant. I really wish they would add it as a criteria to the Disabilities Act. I was FIRED from my last job for being overweight. No I'm not being dramatic -- I have physical WRITTEN proof that my boss' boss did not think I "fit in with the look and feel" of the rest of the team. Granted, it was with an athletic-centered company. I used to be very athletic pre-accident/injury and weight gain, so a majory of my resume speaks to working in that industry. But since most people have known me for 10-15+ years, they knew who I used to be, who I am on the inside, and generally never bothered them. It was the best job I'd had in years, I was so happy. Then they hired this jack*** who had a real problem with not just weight but women in general who were of "childbearing years." It was a bloodbath how many good people he got fired. However, this story has a happy ending: His *** was FIRED for being a disappointment just a few weeks ago. He barely lasted 8 months with the company!!

Also, I've had to unfriend a number of people on FB because they will make frequent posts poking fun at overweight people. Do not need that in my life!! I honestly feel really sad for them and feel like it's their own fears or worries to not love themselves if they ever got above 20BMI. I had a boyfriend about 10 years ago when I was 140lbs and our relationship started online. I NEVER lied about my weight, showed recent pics, etc. but he always talked about how he was concerned about a woman "gaining weight after marriage and having kids." Red flad #1. When we finally met, his face showed his disappointment. Mind you, I was very athletic and very large chested. A majority of that weight was in my legs (cyclist) and in my bra. Yet, he seemed to think I needed to be about 110lbs. That's what his former girlfriend was. Granted that relationship sunk faster than the Titanic and I have THE WORLD'S BEST HUSBAND now!

Just like there are racists, sexists, etc. - there are these people. Just pray for them and hope they'll find a way to cope with being perpetually disappointed. I wish your fiance could let him know people can SUE and WIN for that type of discrimination, so he should watch his back!

This reminds me of the old quip "I can lose weight, but you'll always be (stupid, etc.)". You're better than this guy. I have some bigots in my family and can't ditch them because they're family, but I only have to see them a few times a year. It's rough, but when it's for the greater good, like your fiance's business, you just have to take the high road and know that the idiot partner's views are going to be his undoing one day. And hey! Since you'll be there, you'll get to see it when he's tripped up!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches