Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Encouragement-Pre Op Diet Blues

OK, I don't know if I'm just letting the liquid diet get to me or what, but as hungry as I am right now....I can't imagine looking at 1/4 cup of food knowing that it's supposed to be satisfying. I know my stomach is still the size of a football, full of Grehlin, so it's making it difficult to see. WILL I be satisfied with 1/4 cup of food on the other side of surgery? Will my head shut itself off from this feeling when I finally get some food?

I hear a lot of unhappiness and strife on this forum from post ops, and the way I feel now makes me wonder if I'm just crazy for wanting to do this so badly. Please tell me some wonderful, flowery tales of fullness and satiety......

Hi Dooter,

I'm day 5 post-op and I'm SO not hungry. It's amazing. I just started my full liquid diet today (first four days were clear only), and I had a 1/2 a c. of strained cream of chicken Soup for lunch. I was so full - too full! I'm going to have 1/4 a cup next time I have it. I've been drinking lots of Water and my Protein drinks (although it's 4:30 in California, and I've only had one Protein Drink and the Soup in addition to my Water, so I'm due for my second Protein Drink soon). It definitely changes how you view hunger and how you eat!! You'll do great!

Dooter I was thinking of you today knowing your date is approaching. Today was my 6th day out. I promise it will be worth it. I have had NO pain. I've been sore but NO pain. The worst was my throat after surgery and until I could sip the next day and also having aunt flo make an appearance. I am on full liquids. I look at 1/4 cup of whatever and am like OMgoodness how am I gonna get that down. (I don't, but I try). I keep a Water bottle at my side and try to eat. I have been using www.myfitnesspal.com to track my Protein, etc. It makes it easier to see it in writing.

I'm kinda like you in that this forum has been on the negative side lately. I have been reading less because I want to stay focused and positive. I feel like this was the best decision I could have made for me AND my family. We have tackled this as a team and they have been the best.

Hang in there it all gets better!!

I am almost 3 months post op and I am satisfy with 2 oz of meats etc :smile1: Your life won't be the same after surgery :smile1: Yes you can still be hungry a little but you will be surprise with the amount you are going to eat and get satisfy :smile1:

I am not hungry at all most of the time, and yes you will be satisfied on so little food, it's mind blowing! It's hard to wrap your head around the possibilities of this pre-op, especially during the pre-op liquid diet. That was the worst part of this whole journey to me. Hang tough, you can do this!!

:)

Thanks guys. That is encouraging. Do any of you ever imagine a big old mouthful of your favorite food and just want to cry? Or does it totally gross you out? (I'm hoping for the second option.)

I've been weepy today too. I'm thinking it's the hormones flowing from the liquid diet weight loss effects. I'm in full blown menopause right now, so it's weird having all of that going on with the hunger and gravity of the moment with surgery coming. I'm glad y'all understand. :) Thank you.

Anyone else wants to chime in- the more the merrier!!

Im so glad to hear all the positive feedback!!! Especially, since I daydreamed of a cheeseburger quite intensely at my lunch break; and then had to go back to sipping on my pre op Protein Shake hahaha

Hello Dooter, the thing that might help is remember this, you are on a liquid diet but you can have as much as you want. I had days during my pre-op diet that I had to eat a little extra broth or an extra Protein Shake, this really helped me get through it. It is better to have a few extra calories of allowed items on your liquid diet than to struggle with being hungry and possibly failing and eating something you should not. Keep your eye on the big prize, this will get you through the tough stretch. Good luck, you are almost there.He

im 5 days post op and honestly i am in pain, and have been in a lot of pain... it does get better each day but i didnt prepare myself for what id feel like post op.... I have a lot of head hunger... not physical hunger. i see people eating around me all day long and i really want to have what they're having but instead i just stick to my liquids..

i cant say i regret surgery, i just wish i wouldve been MORE prepared... reading this board had me thinking things would go smoothly post op, and that hasnt exactly been the case. on the good side.. at 5 days post op i've lost 7 lbs already. :)

Hello Dooter, the thing that might help is remember this, you are on a liquid diet but you can have as much as you want. I had days during my pre-op diet that I had to eat a little extra broth or an extra Protein shake, this really helped me get through it. It is better to have a few extra calories of allowed items on your liquid diet than to struggle with being hungry and possibly failing and eating something you should not. Keep your eye on the big prize, this will get you through the tough stretch. Good luck, you are almost there.He

Thanks Kemo! Good point. I'll try to keep full of something I can have. It's hard feeding 3 boys and a husband and not taste what I'm cooking. ;) I think today will be better :)

Im so glad to hear all the positive feedback!!! Especially, since I daydreamed of a cheeseburger quite intensely at my lunch break; and then had to go back to sipping on my pre op Protein shake hahaha

It's hard girl! I'm cracking under the pressure! We can do this though!!!

Hello,

My surgery is most likely going to be in early May. I love reading this board. I had major back surgery one year ago and the pain post op was not tolerable (even on a pain pump). I was crying in the hospital for four days, and am still in pain. So, I figure if I could get through that, I can get though this, right? I am though really freaked out about post op in terms of how little you are able to eat/drink. I can only hope I am one of the lucky ones who don't feel hungry. Thanks to everyone for sharing and being so open and honest. Heather

Dooter

I have same doctor as you.( Dr Kim)

I have Feb 14th has my date. You are a day ahead of me.

liquid diet is not easy but I have to do it. Ok...it is hard as heck. :(

Good Luck Dooter!

Barbara

Thanks guys. That is encouraging. Do any of you ever imagine a big old mouthful of your favorite food and just want to cry? Or does it totally gross you out? (I'm hoping for the second option.)

I've been weepy today too. I'm thinking it's the hormones flowing from the liquid diet weight loss effects. I'm in full blown menopause right now, so it's weird having all of that going on with the hunger and gravity of the moment with surgery coming. I'm glad y'all understand. :smile1: Thank you.

Anyone else wants to chime in- the more the merrier!!

Hi Dooter,

I know people have different experiences, but I've been really happy and relatively uninterested in food since surgery. I even made Cookies at Christmas time a few days after my surgery on 12/20/2011. Cookies were a little tempting but they were out of the question as I was on Clear liquids. What was not eaten was frozen to make cookie ice cream in the summer (for the family).

Since I've progressed from Clear Liquids to full liquids and I am now okay to try anything I want, I have lost interest in most food. I feel like I can have it all, but I want very little. I look in the refrigerator for a few minutes and then just walk away. 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food is a huge amount to me, and I aim to keep it that way.

For Valentine's Day, we are going to a dinner dance with a five course menu which includes quail and ribeye. I am really looking forward to one bite of each, maybe two of the ribeye, but I think that will be enough. There's always tomorrow, and I don't feel one bit deprived. I don't feel like crying. I am more concerned with my husband's ability to eat two dinners. lol.

I feel like my surgery has been the biggest blessing of my life - like the hell of being fat might be over - yet I was so scared going into it. It is a huge change, but you can do it. You'll get through to the other side, and you can still have that cheeseburger, most likely, but it might not be so important anymore and you won't care about the bun. Or the fries.

I recently went through menopause, started the process in my late 30s, so it has been "fun" to say the least. Since surgery, some days I can't get warm. I come home every day and put my thermals on, here in Dallas (and it has been a warm winter). If your menopause lasts as long as mine did, you'll be happy to be cold! It was so funny tonight, I was making dinner for my family and my husband was preoccupied after I told him I could not get warm. I went and changed into a huge fake fur coat and continued to make dinner. When he and my stepdaughter noticed, they were cracking up.

I'm sure you will do great! I have read good things about Dr. Kim. Keep us posted!

Thank you Amanda. That helps a LOT. I'm getting a little scared or "cold feet" today, as we're leaving for Dallas in the morning. I have my first appt. with Dr. Kim Friday, then surgery Monday. I think once I talk to him I'll feel better. Today was much better than yesterday, I'll have to admit. Thanks again! :)