Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Doc Wants To Band Me......

I am in the process of a getting insurance approval for a sleeve. I just wanted to see if any other docs out there are banding sleeves? I trust my doc 100%, as I work directly with him and his patients in the post operative period while hospitalized. I myself am a RN certified in Bariatrics and have heard mixed feelings on having the small band placed for extra protection down the road....any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm confused. Your doctor wants to put a band over your sleeved stomach? What good would that do? :::::::: puzzled::::::

He states that it just gives added protection from you being able to stretch it out in the long run....its not the same type of a band that gastric bandings get. Its just a small band that he places half way down the sleeved portion

I think because gastric sleeve is seen as a pre-liminary surgery. Once you have lost enough weight the next step would be gastric bypass surgery to help loose the 20-50% of excess weight that you didn't loose with the sleeve. So I am guessing he sees the band as a more safe and efficient way to get the rest of the weight off!

How long has your surgeon being doing sleeves? The reason I ask is, this seems to be more common with Gastric Bypass patients, who have issues with the opening of their pouch stretching out over time. That is because the gastric bypass pouch is man made using our intestines which is more stretchy than our original stomach. If the Sleeve is done properly there shouldn't be a need to put a band on it, in fact, I would be absolutely terrified that this would increase my risks of a leak or other complication. I don't know if that's true, but that is what my fear would be. But I also have no idea why a Surgeon would think a Sleeve would need to have even less capacity than it already does? A lot of people already have problems getting liquids in when they are first post-op with a Sleeve, and this is without a band wrapped around an already swollen tiny Sleeve. How big of a Sleeve does he make? Do you know the bougie size? I would find out how many Sleeves he's done, how many he's done with this Band, and how many leaks, complications, successes, etc. with the band/sleeve hybrid. I would definitely do more research and questioning. Good luck to you on your journey!

:)

I know several people with bands. I know you stated that this band is different, but it is still a foreign object.

Two of the 3 close friends I have with bands have had issues with swelling and stomach growth around the band. Definitely talk to your doctor about these possible complications.

Did he say why he thought you needed the "extra protection"?

I think because gastric sleeve is seen as a pre-liminary surgery. Once you have lost enough weight the next step would be gastric bypass surgery to help loose the 20-50% of excess weight that you didn't loose with the sleeve. So I am guessing he sees the band as a more safe and efficient way to get the rest of the weight off!

I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing that sleeve gastrectomy is not enough. I certainly don't see evidence of that here. I got this because I didn't want bypass.

I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing that sleeve gastrectomy is not enough. I certainly don't see evidence of that here. I got this because I didn't want bypass.

Same here! I just think that's what they think! Double banding seems to be a bit excessive in my opinion but then again i am not certified in bariatrics or any other medical field lol!!

I think my approach to the Dr would be to ask that he do a tight stitch close to the bougie ... give it awhile. If there isn't the expected restriction, then look at putting a band on it. It seems like a potential risk where none needs to be taken.

I've read on here people 2 years out still experiencing excellent restriction. I would hate to add a band based on a *maybe*.

I think my approach to the Dr would be to ask that he do a tight stitch close to the bougie ... give it awhile. If there isn't the expected restriction, then look at putting a band on it. It seems like a potential risk where none needs to be taken.

I've read on here people 2 years out still experiencing excellent restriction. I would hate to add a band based on a *maybe*.

Totally agree. We are restricted enough. I would imagine having to deal with stuck foods like the banded people describe. That's one big reason I didn't go for the band.

I personally wouldn't want that. If there's really no immediate benefit or proven need for it, I don't think I would want it.

My first thought was "you put that thing in me and I'll band you like I band calves"