Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Not A Good Cook - Any Ideas Regarding What On Restaurant Foods That Will Work Well With The Plan

Hi,

My wonderful Doctor told me to embrace my kitchen and start to cook my meals to help me keep within in the program. Well, I have tried - I either burn it (lots of smoke detectors going off) or it just lacks flavor.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they solved the problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions -

What stage are you in? When was your surgery?

I have found that when going out with friends most restuarants have something that will fit into your meal plan. What I do is find out where I will be having dinner and then going online and looking at their menu. This allows me to plan ahead so that I am not tempted to order something that sounds good and that I should not be eating. You can even find something to eat at fast food restuarants which I very seldom eat at any more but sometimes a quick meal is all you have time for when on the road or busy and short on time. I have some receipes that I have made and if you would like me to send them to you just drop me a line.

My surgery was January 10th - I am on stage five - solid foods and doing fine with eating solids. I just need some food ideas (and yes some fast food ideas as lunches are the toughest at work).

I always like chili out, very hearty and is full of Protein. Or, I will opt for a regular meal and bring the rest home to have for the next two days :) Such as chicken Marsala, or a fish dish, anything with protein really. If the dish comes with Pasta, I opt for a salad or veggies instead. I find eating out to be really easy actually, easier then eating at home! I have a place I love that does Ahi tuna as an appetizer or meal. I order the appetizer and still bring half home! Let me know if I can help more....looking at the menu beforehand as was suggested is a great idea as well.

How about Wendy's chili in a very small portion? I know fast food is bad - but it is fast and less expensive during the week - any more ideas?

hi there janerose et al

i've tried to learn to cook as often as i've tried to lose weight :biggrin2:

But I know i have to attempt to cook more often, cuz i don't want to go to restaurents any more. My DH and I have spent millions of dollars going out out to eat.

Anyways, i only have one example for an alledged recipe.

Last night i made veal stew and it was delicious - not gourmet for sure, but it was actually good :rolleyes:

My DH bought me 1/4 lb veal - i simply cooked it on the stove, turning. When i took it off, i cut into the smallelst pieces and put in my medicine cup. So i have more meals now. I know you can't get much more simple than this :smile1:

I'll use chicken too.

OMG - i done good :regular_smile:

More easy recipes, more recipes, more recipes please

so yes- please help us poor people that can't cook - the life you save may be your own. :cool0:

kathy

Hi Janerose,

I too have had to hit some fast food places :( since my sleeve in July 2010. I find that Taco Bell - Fresco chicken Soft Taco works pretty well, granted I can't finish the whole thing, and I am almost 7 months out. I also get the Wendy's chili in a pinch.

But like everyone else, I just try to order something that will not upset my stomach and something that will warm up well the next day or two...

Hope that helps!

Stephanie

Janerose, you can do this at home. Just give it a try. This Sunday afternoon, before the Super Bowl, run to the grocery store and pick up:

1 pound ground turkey

1 onion

1 green pepper

2 carrots

2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes

2 cans of kidney Beans

Chili powder

1 case of canning pint jars with lids (one time expense, but then you'll have them forever)

Dice the veggies

Heat up a pan (5 qt)

Add turkey and brown

Add 2 Tbsp chili spice

stir

Add veggies, tomatos, Beans

stir

cook on low for an hour stirring occassionally

Rinse jars, fill and toss in the freezer.

Grab one on the way out the door.

I do this every other week. It costs me about $5 and I have healthy, tasty lunches everyday. The prep time is around 10 minutes. That's it.

Do it once and you'll see how easy it really is.

And, you can do this with many other soups/foods as well. I love my little pint jars.

Love the receipe and know that I will make it this weekend; with a variation or two - allergic to onions. I just got a cup of chilli at Wendy's and so far so good (three teaspons).

I will also try the stew thing (just not with veal)

there are so many ways to make this successful!

I eat chicken Tikka Masala, veggies and or lentil Soup when eating Indian food (tandoori would be better but its too dry still). Ground beef when eating Cuban. Iskender when eating mediterranean. Baked chicken wings, Wendys Chili (I have to take a Beano type product for that one) and Starbucks latte are the other things I have tried.

However, I don't think I could eat out almost everyday and still meet all my goals and lose weight. I might be wrong (some do it on Weight Watchers and were succesful), but I don't want to try it. I feel I already "push it" by eating out and experimenting as much as I do.

With the "help" of a recipe book (or website), and small appliances such as a small crockpot and/or a george foreman $20.00 grill, you won't burn your foods. For flavoring, google marinades or pick recipes that ask for it. . See it as a fun hobby. :tongue2: Start with the easy stuff. Good luck!

Janerose, you can do this at home. Just give it a try. This Sunday afternoon, before the Super Bowl, run to the grocery store and pick up:

1 pound ground turkey

1 onion

1 green pepper

2 carrots

2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes

2 cans of kidney Beans

Chili powder

1 case of canning pint jars with lids (one time expense, but then you'll have them forever)

Dice the veggies

Heat up a pan (5 qt)

Add turkey and brown

Add 2 Tbsp chili spice

stir

Add veggies, tomatos, Beans

stir

cook on low for an hour stirring occassionally

Rinse jars, fill and toss in the freezer.

Grab one on the way out the door.

I do this every other week. It costs me about $5 and I have healthy, tasty lunches everyday. The prep time is around 10 minutes. That's it.

Do it once and you'll see how easy it really is.

And, you can do this with many other soups/foods as well. I love my little pint jars.

YUM!! Trying this!!

You know, the first time y'all try it, it will probably be more like 20 minutes, but once you learn the routine, it is lightning quick. I do the same thing with chicken veggie ... I use a rotisserie chicken, veggies, chx broth. Lentis/ham/veggies ... whatever. Toss it in the pan, add some seasonings and throw it in the little pint jars. Make it easy on yourself.

It is only difficult if you make it difficult. Say, "I can't do it!", and you are probably right. Say, "I can do it!", and wonderful things start to happen.

I know I have been learning new behaviors and have been loving life!

You should take your doctors advice, it is why you hired him isn't it?

Eating out is not sustainable, you really need to come to terms with preparing and eating your own food.

In a pinch, you can get by with making good selections at a resturant but as a staple, your diet will be limited, high in sodium and processed foods and overall not very good for you. With the limited range of choices, you will eventually get bored and stray off plan and all your hardwork wasted.

Some quick and easy meals to consider, protien bars (One a day), one pot meals you can freeze and eat off of for a week or two, starkist sandwich-ready packets.

I'm not a fasting carbs so I have some other options available like a small bowl of high protien Cereal with skim milk.

With a little creativity it's pretty easy to cover the bulk of the meals in a day wihtout a lot of fuss.

Oh, my wife does not make any of my meals, I have to plan, shop and make all my meals myself. If I can do it, so can you.

Get a slow cooker!! So hard to burn things in that : )

My fave meal in a slow cooker

- cheapest roast you can get or frying steaks (frozen is best)

- mushroom Soup can

- onion soup packet

- veggies

Throw in slow cooker - cook on low for 8-10 hours

Voila!! Yummy stew!!!!

Easy to put on before you leave for work

Heats up great!!

Veggies