Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Have Your "tastes" For Food Changed Since Being Sleeved?

Someone asked me recently if the sleeve changed what I wanted to eat. I do have different tastes now, even at a year out. Here are some examples:

Things I don't want or can't tolerate anymore:

Regular Milk

Fried Foods

Cereal (even with Soy milk, it bloats up in my sleeve)

School Lunches (I am a teacher and I used to eat the school lunches a few days a week. Now the thought of them makes me sick).

chips and Salsa (I used to eat an entire basket by myself at restaurants)

Most fast food (I used to love McDonald's, especially for breakfast)

bread (Although I can tolerate the thins now)

Sweets in general

Hmmm...no wonder the sleeve works! LOL

Any of you have have foods you don't want or can't eat anymore?

Actually in the beginning lots did change for me, but over time I've gotten all my taste buds back. I can say at this time the only notable difference is that pre-op I hated peanuts and Peanut Butter, and now? I LOVE THEM!!!

My tastes haven't changed much. As far as I know I can tolerate everything. What has changed is that I can say no very easily.

I have eaten a tablespoon of rice and toasted bread here and there but I don't miss it.

I am happy ordering an egg Mcmuffin with no muffin. (the girls at Mcdonalds were baffled at first and now just smile)

I ate a mini cupcake one day and easily declined a few days later when offered again. That is a miracle!!!!!

So far (11 1/2 months out) I am more lactose intolerant now than I was pre-sleeve. I can't drink milk or eat icecream without sever repercusions. I can eat yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese - which I really enjoy. I enjoy yogurt much more now than I did before.

I really enjoy the taste of raw veggies more now than before - they taste much sweeter. Fresh corn, sugar snap peas, or carrots amaze me with their natural sweetness.

I don't really miss Pasta, rice or potatoes - a couple of bites and I am satisfied. I use these as a garnish on my plate now. More than 2-3 bites, and it fills my sleeve up uncomfortably.

Fluffy bread does the same as Pasta, rice or potatoes. I avoid it. I can do a little corn bread now and then.

If I indulge in a "real sweet" desert (not a SF pudding or fudgsicle) usually 2-3 bites and I'm done. Don't want any more. That is as surprising as if my dog started spouting Shakeperean sonnets to me!

Overall, I seem to enjoy everything more since I am eating less quantity. I guess it follows the old line of thinking - if you only got to see one sunset a year, wouldn't you enjoy it more?

Mine have actually changed quite a bit. Like many, I am a bit lactose intolerant now. I also despise fried, greasy foods. How I ever ate even one McDonald's french fry is beyond me, totally grosses me out now. I have also found that whereas before, anything healthy tasting disgusted me, I am now more open to trying healthier foods and when I am behaving, I actually enjoy them.

I can still eat most everything now that I'm 8 months out. However, red wine makes me nauseous (which is very sad for me) and so do M&M's. Don't get me wrong, I can still have white wine and see's candy for some reason, but red wine and M&M's are off the table.

I too have found that fried foods seem to bother my sleeve, as do really fatty foods. I took my stepson to the NFL experience yesterday (we're hosting the Super Bowl here this year!) and we grabbed some lunch at one of the concession places - I had a hot dog with no bun and felt like vomiting afterwards. YUCK. I also don't eat much fast food anymore, it's like my sleeve knows that it doesn't want anything that high in fat and low in nutritional value. Thanks sleevie!!

I was never a huge sweets person pre-op, and even less so post-op. A little bit of something here or there doesn't bother me, but I definitely can take it or leave it. We made chocolate chip Cookies today and I had a tiny blob of cookie dough and it made me want to puke. When the Cookies were done baking, I had one bite and was fully satisfied . . . . didn't even consider another bite. It's so weird!

I understand what you are saying about sweets, during that special time of month, I do love my chocolate. But not too long ago, a coworker made some delicious, yummy looking homemade chocolate chip Cookies that everyone in the building was raving about. I had to try one, but I guess it was the wrong time of the month, lol, after only one bite, I had enough, it was too sickenly sweet for me. I guess that isn't a bad thing. If only my body felt that way during pms, I would be in good shape, lol.

The only type of food that I can't seem to handle at all are spicy foods, which isn't a big deal for me since I didn't eat much of that anyways. It does however mean that I can no longer add buffalo sauce to chicken with blue cheese (one of my fave recipes).

I have also learned that rice sits in my sleeve like a brick. It is truly uncomfortable. It was a good learning experience though. Where I live there is a person who eats white rice EVERY day, so it is ALWAYS in the house! I am glad I had such a negative reaction to it because now I'm not tempted.

For awhile I really really wanted salty things, but that was because my sodium was probably a bit off. I simply ate salty things for a while and it gradually went away. Other than that, the types of food I enjoy or my "tastebuds" have not changed.

I chose not to eat carbs, except on the rare occasion. So for example if I go to someone's birthday party, I won't say no to a piece of cake. Now I either share with someone or I just don't eat the whole piece. I chose this because I found that my body just loses better without them. The only carbs I have, are actually carbs that I drink. I get them in my Protein shakes (under 10) and occasionally i'll have milk, or milk based drinks (like a latte). I find sometimes that the "occasional" high carb treat helps me keep my weight loss steady. At four months out I have only had two stalls, and nether lasted long. I don't know if it was the carbs, or if I was just lucky... but I'm not going to give up my treat to test the theory lol.

I'm just coming up on six weeks post-surgery, so I don't know what will change in the long run. I do know that I am enjoying my spicy foods, which I have always loved. I was worried I wouldn't tolerate them after surgery, but so far, so good! Yay!

Wow, I have a long list of stuff my sleeve can't tolerate: beef (I can eat an occasional bite or two of hamburger meat all chopped up, like taco meat), pork roast, turkey, chicken (can eat if it's blended in soup), eggs (ate one in December but can't any more), fried food, bread, sweets, Pasta, raw onion, raw broccoli, pepperoni, tuna, Cereal (can eat a few bites of grits, though), anything too sweet, applesauce, Protein shakes. I could go on, but you get the gist. He's a picky brat, my sleeve.

Post-sleeve, I eat salad, cheese and "water" crackers, nuts, milk in my iced coffee, Beans, Soup, yogurt, shrimp, Wendy's chili (if I "eat around" most of the hamburger meat), sushi (the kind with the fake "crab" meat, and I take off most of the rice). Something strange is before I was sleeved, I hated olives--now I eat them almost daily on a Greek-style salad with feta cheese and tomato--YUM. I also eat (and love) tortilla chips and spinach, bean, or cheese dip, which I eat as a meal--about 5 or 6 chips and I'm done.

This is VERY different from pre-sleeve, when I ate a lot of meat, fried food, BREAD and other baked goods, and so forth. I miss some of the flavors of my previous foods, but not enough to be sick after trying to eat them. No, thank you. I'm pretty pleased with the way the lighter, more healthy foods feel in my sleeve, and I don't even like the smell of most heavier food any more--I get a frozen yogurt at a place next to a Five Guys burger joint, and I have to sort of not breathe through my nose too much in the parking lot or the smell of the cooking meat makes me feel queasy; this is polar opposite to the pre-sleeve me.

The smell of really greasy, rich or overly sweet foods are not my favorite. I never had a sweet tooth, but I used to like fried foods. I look at the amounts of food people eat and it makes me slighty queasy. It's just hard to believe. I'm lucky though because my huband eats something like a sleeved person - or a normal thin person. Half a sandwich will do it for him. This morning I cooked him 2 sausages and 1 egg over easy with a small piece of toast.

My daughter on the other hand is scaring me.

I have only tried a banana once about 3 months out but it was horrible...havent tried it since

I dont get along with a large amount of rice and Pasta but a little here and there is fine

One funny thing is, I love milk, cheese (of all kinds) and cottage cheese are staples for me...maybe that will ward off osteporosis later in life? I'll bet I could stop taking 3 calcuim supps a day:)

Wow, I have a long list of stuff my sleeve can't tolerate: beef (I can eat an occasional bite or two of hamburger meat all chopped up, like taco meat), pork roast, turkey, chicken (can eat if it's blended in soup), eggs (ate one in December but can't any more), fried food, bread, sweets, Pasta, raw onion, raw broccoli, pepperoni, tuna, Cereal (can eat a few bites of grits, though), anything too sweet, applesauce, Protein shakes. I could go on, but you get the gist. He's a picky brat, my sleeve.

Post-sleeve, I eat salad, cheese and "water" crackers, nuts, milk in my iced coffee, Beans, Soup, yogurt, shrimp, Wendy's chili (if I "eat around" most of the hamburger meat), sushi (the kind with the fake "crab" meat, and I take off most of the rice). Something strange is before I was sleeved, I hated olives--now I eat them almost daily on a Greek-style salad with feta cheese and tomato--YUM. I also eat (and love) tortilla chips and spinach, bean, or cheese dip, which I eat as a meal--about 5 or 6 chips and I'm done.

This is VERY different from pre-sleeve, when I ate a lot of meat, fried food, BREAD and other baked goods, and so forth. I miss some of the flavors of my previous foods, but not enough to be sick after trying to eat them. No, thank you. I'm pretty pleased with the way the lighter, more healthy foods feel in my sleeve, and I don't even like the smell of most heavier food any more--I get a frozen yogurt at a place next to a Five Guys burger joint, and I have to sort of not breathe through my nose too much in the parking lot or the smell of the cooking meat makes me feel queasy; this is polar opposite to the pre-sleeve me.

Look at you girl!!! 1 pound away from goal! Cant wait to see a post soon!