Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgical Diet: Torture.

Anyone have any advice? I was sleeved on the 24th. I've been struggling so hard to get in Water and whey Protein, and today I did pretty well. I've gone through my Unjury sample pack. The problem is, everything single thing I put in my mouth is giving me problems. I have never been able to eat sugar free things without getting sick, so that leaves out Jello, popsicles, and pudding. I decided to try them anyway, and last night was up all night feeling like a cauldron of acid was roiling in my stomach. Today I have taken prilosec, zantac, and Malox and am still fighting acid. I am lactose intolerant, so I've added the protein to soy milk, which makes me want to gag. Also, the unjury tastes like powdered milk to me, which I have not been able to tolerate since the 1st grade. So... ok, I'm whining. I am hating life right now. What can I have???? I've got to go through another week of this!! Also, did I add that I'm STARVED all the time? Maybe it's the good old gnaw of acid, but it still feels like starvation. This seriously feels like the most unhealthy thing I've ever done in my life. I'm open to suggestion here, if anyone has anything for me. Thanks for listening. Or reading...

Have you tried Powerade? The most important thing right now is for you to stay hydrated.

The first week I lived on unjury chicken Protein powder, Water, and greek yogurt. After I could tolerate it, about 10 days out, I drank the Gold Standard Whey Protein French vanilla flavor with soy milk and 1/2 packet of the Starbucks Via Italian Roast Decaf. I also liked Sleepy Time Tea.

Lynda

Did the pack include unjury chicken Soup? That goes down well for most if not all during the first few weeks. Warm cafeine free tea is another option. Homemade well seasoned broth as well. Diluted apple juice.

I am also lactose intolerant and now add Unjury unflavored to Lactaid skim milk. I add flavoring to it though. Torani syrups, 25% less sugar Nesquick, vanilla extract, banana etc. Many ready to drink Protein shakes are lactose free. I buy them at GNC. Not sure if the Isopure clear juices fall into the category of "sugar free". Check them out at GNC. Are you allowed yogurts? Lactaid now has them.

If all fails, ask your doctor if it is ok to drink real Gatorade, real apple sauce and other things so you don't get dehydrated and/or weak.

Also it seems like your doctor has not prescribed daily medication to combat acid. (not on an "as needed basis".) I had to try a few until my doctor and I found something that worked. Best wishes!

call your doctor's office and get some help. In the liquid stage, I was drinking Soup broth, Jello, pudding, and yogurt. Drank Protein Drinks from costco called premier chocolate shakes. Hang in there, it gets better.

If you can't tolerate the SF stuff, don't. Get the regular stuff. You have to eat. Dorrie's right, the Premier shakes are awesome and you have a costco right there in Fredricksburg.

ohhh I hear ya sister. Tuesday is scrambled egg day and cottage cheese and I have never been more excited for an egg. All I can say is it totally sucks, I'm with you...but the weight is falling off of me and the compliments are rolling in - and that is what keeps me on plan. I want so freaking bad to chew something. You will get there I promise. I have tried every protien drink available and they don't taste very good. I just think of it as medicine and force them down. I don't have any tricks for you...just get the protien down any way you can. :)

I am sending the hubby to costco tomorrow for those shakes...I have not tried those! :)

I lived on chicken broth (homemade by my dear hubby), beef broth (from the jar of concentrate, not boullion cubes), Isopure PLUS drinks (ordered from Amazon) and hot mint tea (decaf). Shortly after I found a couple of crystal lite flavors I liked. I also got the costco (chocolate) shakes and liked them, along with the EAS brand from Walmart (in chocolate and vanilla).

I then branched out to the nectar brand powder (ordered online from one of the bariatric sites) and started making my own smoothies. I like the Vanilla Bean torte flavor, the chocolate truffle flavor and the Fuzzy Navel (fruit) flavor. Once you are ready, the fuzzy navel makes a great smoothie with a frozen bananna or some other frozen fruit in it.

Good Luck.

Sharon

I have been on liquids for 3 weeks and even though I tolerate the Protein shakes fine, I am just sick of them. I have made a few Soups over the last week... cream of potato and Tomato. I add 2 servings of skim milk instead of Water for extra Protein and also some unflavored Protein Powder. I made sure it was not too thick for me to tolerate. I got about 3 servings out of one Soup can. I used an immersion blender to puree the few chunks in the cream of potato (or you can just avoid eating them).

For milk.. soy milk doesn't taste good to me either. You could possibly try rice milk or almond milk instead. They taste better to me personally.

For Fluid I have done several things... Powerade zero, diet lipton green tea with citrus, and Water with a few drops of mio liquid Water Enhancer.

Hope you start feeling better soon. I only had stomach acid once since I take prilosec every day, but it was not fun!

LacieMC is right. It sucks for a bit at first...you just have to get it in. I HATED and couldn't get down the whey Protein Shakes I bought, but my aunt told me about the CVS brand and its awesome. FINALLY! and it has 26 grams of Protein per serving. I have also been mixing it with Lactaid. I tried soymilk, but got really sick of it. And I DO NOT like milk at all, but chocolate milk is good and this stuff (when blended up with lactaid) tastes just like chocolate milk. Just keep at it. You'll get there. The day that I finally ate a whole Jello cup was an amazing day....and I was so proud of myself. You're only a couple days out. Most important is to stay hydrated. Just yesterday I got stressed out, couldn't eat anything cause of it, and ended up jumping in bed and throwing the blankets over my head in frustration. You'll have good days and bad....but just keep going.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to go buy Isopure today and see if that works better for me. I made a decision in the dark hours of the night that I'm not going to have things I can't tolerate (physically) just because they are supposed to be good for me. So I'm going to try the Isopure, which I won't have to add to anything. Got up this morning and had some cream of wheat with NO added Protein, and for the first time all week I didn't feel hungry or nauseated for a couple of hours. If the Isopure failes me, I'll head to costco. I'm still so weak and shaky I don't think I can take COSTCO today. I did get in 48 oz of Water yesterday, though, so I think my hydration is pretty good. Thanks again.