Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does It Feel When You Are Completely Healed?

I am hoping that some of you that are completely healed can describe the hunger or non-hunger feelings you have now? Like if you eat a few too many bites of food does it feel like over eating on thanksgiving? If you don't eat do you feel dizzy? Do you forget to eat?

Thanks! :)

Good question.

For me, it's not "a few too many bites," it's ONE too many. lol It makes me feel really uncomfortable, like I really need to burp but can't. Feeling stuffed doesn't feel like Thanksgiving used to, it's different. When you feel full after eating slowly and chewing carefully it feels a lot better than when you feel full after eating three bites in rapid succession (don't do that!) and are suddenly stuffed.

I don't forget to eat, but sometimes I get busy or don't feel like eating. I do still feel hunger sometimes, but it doesn't rule my life anymore. I'm often hungry in the morning, but I have to wait an hour after taking my heartburn medicine before I can eat anything, and by that time the hunger sensation goes away and by that time I've lost interest in eating. I've had to start bringing Protein shakes with me to work so that I can have a late "breakfast" and not skip the meal entirely.

I hope that helps.

It helped me; it's a good question. I've wondered the same thing about feelings of hunger over the long haul.

I am rarely if ever hungry! I have to literally remind myself to eat. And I am not even on a PPI any longer, I dropped them at 3 months post op. I did that to try it out and see how I felt without it, because I was concerned about absorbing my nutrients. I try to stay on a schedule of eating a meal or snack every 3-4 hrs. I do this both to get all my Protein in and to keep my blood sugar from spiking or going too low. I was previously Type 2 Diabetic, but am resolved since surgery.

I don't normally let myself overeat or get that "too full" feeling. Even though I technically don't measure any longer, I know about how much food is considered 3-4 oz and only put that much in my plate/dish during a meal. I really don't wanna experience that too full/overstuffed feeling and I don't want to make myself sick. When we go out to eat, as soon as my meal arrives, I kind of separate the amt of food I know I should have, scoot the rest over on my plate and when I'm getting close to finishing my portion, I ask for a go box for the rest to have at a later meal or give it to someone else if they want to try my dish. I usually don't have the desire to eat more than what I should eat anyway.

The once or twice in the very beginning when i first added solids back in that I did get a kind of "full feeling", it was similar to overstuffing at Thanksgiving. Kind of uncomfortable and I had to get up and kinda walk it off. I just try to eat till satisfied to also keep from feeling like I am stretching my sleeve. I still have a lot of restriction at 8 months out. Hope this helps!

:)

If I eat too much its like I've inhaled tryptophan... and its really uncomfortable.

My hunger level is always dependent on what I've eaten at my last meal. If it more Protein I never feel hunger, ever. If its more carby, then I will get tiny hunger pangs in a few hours usually. Not a whole lot though.

I'm about 8 and 1/2 months out. I get hungry, but not "I'm gonna die" hungry. I'm with little miss diva. If I haven't eaten a Protein rich meal, I will feel hungry sooner. I don't get the dizzy feeling I used to if I miss a meal, but I try to be regular in my eating habits, with Breakfast before 10, lunch by 2, and dinner before 7. Sometimes I want a snack mid-afternoon, or in the evening. I think often the evening snack is head hunger: that was a big problem for me pre-op. I just couldn't stop snacking after dinner. Now, I can usually control it with just something small, such as a little cutie tangerine, 1/4 apple, or a couple of graham crackers.

If I overeat, I have a range of symptoms, depending on how much I've overeaten: First step: I am overfull, kinda like thanksgiving, but not as rewarding. I do this periodically because I'm not paying attention, eat too fast, or I really want the item I'm eating and stuff in an extra bite. I haven't done it since early out, but I tried to eat more than I was comfortable with back then and would get a serious pain in my tummy, like a cramp. Learned not to do that fast! And a couple of times I got the slimies and one time I threw up. Really quick learner on those things and has never happened again.

Lynda

I'm 9 months out now, and I agree with the others that hunger feels different now. I don't get the overwhelming feeling of "I've got to eat now" that I used to--in fact, sometimes I'm busy and remember later that I need to eat; sometimes I feel physical hunger, but it's less a growly tummy and more a sense of needing fuel--and I don't have to run right out and find food that second. And a very small amount of food will satisfy that hunger now.

It's really important for me not to overeat, since my sleeve will reject the entire contents if I eat only 1 bite too many. It is not pleasant. I deliberately undereat my sleeve--I aim for "eat until not hungry" as opposed to "eat until full." Makes a big difference. Protein first, then veggies. Small, frequent mini-meals. Vitamins and Water. It works. :-)

Thanks for the insight ladies! I am praying I have the same result as you all! For as long as I can remember food has been my hobby. I love all things food... I have been really good about changing that over the last year, but I still get the 'must have food now' syndrome at times. I just want to be on the "I eat to live" team, rather then the "I live to eat" team :) I appreciate allllll the support I get here. :) thanks again!

Before my sleeve, I used to get really bad headaches if I went too long between meals. Since my surgery, I haven't had one hunger headache!!! I never really feel hungry but I do know I need to eat b/c I will sometimes get an empty feeling in my sleeve--but not the same empty feeling I would get pre sleeve. My relationship with food changed much faster than I thought it would. I can't believe how much food I used to eat and I cannot even imagine consuming that much EVER again (I don't know, maybe that will change over time?)!! And when I have ONE bite too many, my body lets me know as I get pain that radiates up into my left clavicle area (the denser the food, the worse the pain).

Before my sleeve, I used to get really bad headaches if I went too long between meals. Since my surgery, I haven't had one hunger headache!!! I never really feel hungry but I do know I need to eat b/c I will sometimes get an empty feeling in my sleeve-

No more hunger headache?! Wow! That would be awesome!! Thanks for sharing :)