Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled....but Lingering Question Is 'am I Messing With God's Work'.

Thoughts from minds more clear-thinking than mine appreciated. :-)

I'm kind of a superstitious person, and also fairly religious and have a great closeness with God the creator of our lovely bodies. So now that my surgery is scheduled (20 days out....yikes!) I'm not sure if I'm just looking for an excuse to chicken out or if I'm truly uncomfortable with the idea that I'd change the mechanics of a miraculous thing God created (the human body). I mean if every person is unique and special in their own way, will God turn his favor away from me if I mess with His unique and special work? Ugh!! I know not everyone believes in God, but I do, and I'm struggling with how to justify the surgery with my WWJD mindset.

I believe that "GOD" has given us this tool to help with difficulties with weight. I like to keep it simple......... I am blessed by "GOD." Congrats and can't wait to hear how your doing after the procedure. ;)

God allowed us free will, which has done many things - it has allowed us to think for ourselves, which has created medicine and treatment options, including this surgery. Because you're doing this for the RIGHT reasons, I believe God is on board with this. You are not using this option to do harm to anyone or for any other reason than to be healthy. I think you're good to go! :)

Ok...since you have opened the door for this type of communication, I am going for it. Look at it this way: Adam and Eve were created as perfect humans in a perfect world. They would have lived forever, but for their disobedience. Once they disobeyed God and plunged the creation in to sin and death, we all became subject to decay. Our bodies start dying the minute we are born. God gave us medicine and doctors and he gave those doctors big brains so they would learn more and more about keeping us healthy and living as long as possible. I believe we are using this surgery to be good stewards of the bodies God gave us. I want to prevent an obesity-related death, so I am getting this done now.

As for God turning His favor away from you for changing something in your body? No sweetie. He turns His favor away from those who reject the One He sent to save us. Once you belong to Him, He will never leave you nor forsake you.

I hope that helps.

I'm kind of a superstitious person, and also fairly religious and have a great closeness with God the creator of our lovely bodies. So now that my surgery is scheduled (20 days out....yikes!) I'm not sure if I'm just looking for an excuse to chicken out or if I'm truly uncomfortable with the idea that I'd change the mechanics of a miraculous thing God created (the human body). I mean if every person is unique and special in their own way, will God turn his favor away from me if I mess with His unique and special work? Ugh!! I know not everyone believes in God, but I do, and I'm struggling with how to justify the surgery with my WWJD mindset.

Lmao but this isnt funny.

I dont know if yall can see it but I can. Game of Twister anyone?

Oh yeah. Jesus told me to live. So I am going to do everything possible to do so. If he wanted me dead. He has had plenty of oppertunities. Like nike says Just do it

I bet yer a hoot to hang out with Capt. D! ;)

We are also very religious people. I have had a big run around over my surgery and my husband says to me the other night, " Did you ever give it any consideration that maybe it is not God's will for you to have this surgery?" I looked him square in the face and said, "No and frankly I don't really even care." He was completely stunned, but I went on to explain. " If I was dying with my heart you wouldn't question me having surgery to correct that. Or if I was having back surgery for pain you wouldn't question that. So why does it have to be "God's will" because it is this surgery. Am I dying any less or am I in any less pain? I had rather die having this surgery trying to do better for myself than to have to live the rest of what life I may have in miserable pain, eating Rx drugs like they were the very staff of life itself." Let's be completely honest, if we wanted to leave everything completely up to God, we would never take medicine or go to the dr or anything. He did give use a good mind and I believe he expects us to use it. If it is something to help the body, I believe it is in his permissible will. The only thing we must be careful of here is pride. We don't need to get so carried away with our new bodies that we lose sight of what is truly important and slip into a little idol worship :0)

Very interesting responses all -- thank u for reading and responding. Dooter, well said. That does help. Capt D - sorry but I don't follow the twister game reference? (but I'm sure it's hilarious!?)

And yes the pride aspect is something I've considered, because I must admit not only am I doing this to ease the load on my poor aching joints but also because I do love to shop for clothes and be fashionable and am sooo excited to buy smaller outfits!! That's prolly more troublesome to God than 'repairing' my stomach,

huh!? ;-)

I believe God will never turn his favor away from us, he loves us too much. Throughout this whole process I always knew he was with me, as he is with you. When the day comes for surgery don't think its only doctors operating on you, God is surely going to be in that room guiding the hands of the surgeon, and the nurses. Whenever I am feeling some doubt about something I say this to myself "I am BLESSSED and HIGHLY favored''.

I will never leave you nor forsake you. Hebrews 13:5

I think that God watches over us, whether we want Him to or not. He created everything in this world and He doesn't make junk. However, He allows us to make choices for ourselves and He already knows what we are going to do before we even know. I truly believed I would die during surgery, so when I woke up I felt that He had something else in mind for me to accomplish.

He gave us medicine so that we could live longer. As Benisa said, if you had a heart problem, or cancer, or diabetes, you would treat those things. What is so different about treating obesity? Nothing.

You can't do what He has in His plan for you if you're dead. Since having surgery, I've had plenty of opportunities to tell other people about my WLS and to tell them that I feel it's a miracle that I'm still alive. Maybe that's what I'm supposed to do...maybe there is something else coming, but I know that God provided this opportunity and I need to make the most of the gift He's given me. :)

I believed God brought me to this, therefore He will bring me through this...I wondered if I couldn't believe Him enough, but believe me it is a constant leap of faith and trust to go through this journey! Go for it...God never leaves us and He is always with us!

God wants us to be around to witness to others.

When I was trying to decide if I could take thus step & have surgery - I was praying about it while driving (eyes open 'lol) & said I need you to show me this is what I should do - & "Voice of Truth" came on the radio as soon as I said it.

I also got a call from my mom who was not really for the surgery saying she had been thinking about it & changed her mind.

Anyway - it was scary to take the step but it probably saved my life. I am so much healthier already & am only 6 weeks out.

Take Care -

I had worries about changing my anatomy and feelings that I should stick with what I showed up with. But then I realized I don't have what I showed up with in many ways. I have lived in my body for 55 years and it shows. I thought it over and realized for me, this operation was my only hope for returning to health. Once I fully grasped that, I was able to proceed, even though I was afraid. Afraid I would be different. Afraid I would die on the table. Afraid I would do something I regretted and there would be no turning back. I had all those fears and more, but concentrating on the fact that, for me, VSG was my only path to health allowed me to continue on my journey. I am so grateful I did. I am at a normal BMI now and my health is so much better. I still don't like shopping for clothes, but I do like getting dressed in the morning.

Lynda

Thanks all - great words of wisdom. I am about a week & 1/2 to surgery and some days totally excited!! other days totally "what the heck am I thinking?" :-) I'm trying to just keep the fear dialed down and positive thinking dialed up.