Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am So Brand New--First Post, 3 Days Out

I started my surgery journey in Houston, where I used to live, and after a lot of thought, etc. chose to go ahead and have the surgery there even though I now live up north in Boston. (I am self-pay, and in Boston it was going to be 42k JUST for surgery, no pre or post-op included.)

I am so glad that I went with the Davis Clinic in Houston. Dr. Primomo was great, and the process was easy even though I had to do all my testing in Boston and get it sent. I had surgery first thing in the morning on the 20th, and am recovering in a hotel with my mom. The pain is not so bad, which is good because the pain killer makes me feel full since it is a liquid. The worst has been gas, but I am walking a lot, eating super concentrated Protein broth my mom made for meand applejuice. I have also found this ginger tea (all herbal) that is meant for digestive health:it's amazing! However, I still feel really tired and the gas is very painful at times.

I was scared at first because I didn't feel like I was getting in enough liquid or Protein in these first few days, but I am very swollen so I know it will come. Today I am just relieved that I don't feel as if a truck hit me, which I did yesterday. I am walking a lot in the halls of the hotel and I can even do stairs, a little bit.

I am nervous about trying dairy because of the gas: I know some people really can't tolerate it. Does anyone have any suggestions? What did you try?

In any case, Hi everyone! I'm new here. but I've been reading a long time. Here's to lots of changes ahead!

Glad to hear you are doing so great. Everyday will get a little better and then soon, you will hardly remember this part at all.

Can't answer about the dairy. Some people become lactose intolerant after the surgery (I did not) and other find they just don't care for the taste. I would suggest you just take a bite or swallow and then let that be it for about 24 hours to see how you react. If it's a problem, wait a few more days and try again. What you may not tolerate one day will sometimes be fine a few days later, and sometimes not.

I would suggest you try yogurt, greek yogurt or a Protein shake.

The most important thing at this stage is to get your liquids in. Don't worry so much about the Protein. Try Jello, popscicles, clear juice, broths, and of course Water and just sip, sip, sip. almost constantly.

Also at this stage some peole do better with warm liquids, I had to have everything ice cold. Warm beverges still do not appeal to me 9 weeks out.

You are so lucky to have your mom there to help. Have you tried Gas-X strips? A lot of people swear by them. I have more of a problem with heartburn than gas. Just can't resist spicy.

Good Luck and keep coming back to post.

Congrats on your surgery and it sounds like you are doing awesome! I just started my 4th week post op so I haven't had much dairy products. I did have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for lunch today and a Weight Watchers Low Fat mozarella stick for my afternoon snack and I have done fine with that. Glad to have you on board here and welcome!! Best of luck and keep in touch!!

Vance

I have not been able to do milk for years now, but found that the Almond milk and Coconut milk work great in shakes and for drinking. I really like the unsweetened Almond milk on my Cereal and in coffee and coco.

I slept a lot the first 2 days, but reading on here it is part of the process your body needs to heal. You have been though the mill and your body is responding the only way it knows how (SLEEP).

I also found that if I ate yogurt it helped with the gas, I still get it from time to time depending on what I eat.

Congrats on your new stomach (surgery)

Hope this helps some.

1. I am so glad that you wrote about whats going on.
  2. And the replys make me know it is going to be a good outcome.
  3. Keep up the good work.

I actually tried dairy a few days out from surgery. I haven't been brave enough for milk since then. I drink almond or soy milk now, if I drink milk at all.

Welcome to the loser's bench! :) It sounds like you are doing well. Good luck!!

I began making my Protein with milk once I hit goal. But i did eat cottage cheese, cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, pudding at the mushie stage. I used mayo to mix my tuna and chicken salad. I used to have an allergy to milk so I expected to have problems post op but I do not and now I drink a Protein Shake a day and I use milk everytime. I am glad that things have gone well for you. It sounds like you know all the right things to do...good luck on your journey...cant wait to read your posts inthe future.

my surgeon doesn't want any milk for the first two weeks. I saw the PA on day 11 and she cleared me to try lactose free milk. it went fine for me 11 days out.

Congrats on being sleeved. Please continue with posting, I will be sleeved on Feb 4th and would love to hear about how you are doing.

Also, what struck me about your post was it sounded so positive. I beleive that is what makes a big difference in ones recovery. Your going to do wonderful!!! :)

Hi, everyone--thanks for all the support.

I am getting better. Gas is not as bad and I had a bite of yogurt, even. I can't tell if it was really bad because I had so little, but I am going to try more later. I am drinking Water with lemon and looking forward to my favorite Soup tomorrow. I will keep posting...thanks for all the ideas and encouragement!

Congratulations! I will be going to Mexico for mine. I am exicited. Seems like things are coming up to get in my way. Trying to decide what if anything is needed to be different towards my surgery.

Congrats. What worked for me was lots and lots of Gas-X, strips, pills (I found out that you can chew these), liquids(chicken broth - yummy)some pain pills (small) and a light tranquillizer to help sleep, and antacids.

What didn't work the first ten days was solid food of any type, Vitamin pills, Protein powders, and citric acids. Hydration was absolutely critical, and walking around the room. Nourishment was not so important as giving my tummy a little time to heal.