Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long After Surgery Did You Take Pain Meds For?

I was prescribed percocet for pain after my surgery. It was a script for 30, taking one or two every four hours for pain. I have called in for one refill (have to call the dr, because the script is for no refills), and I will refill at the pharmacy today. Still, this script will only get me through Tuesday, which will be one week exactly from my surgery date. I feel apprehensive about calling for yet another refill at that time (if I need it), because I dont want them to think I am taking advantage of the situation.

How many refills did you get on the pain meds? Did you take them for more than one week?

Thanks for all for the advice!

No refills. I only took them regularly the first three days home. Then only at night until day six. I don't really think you should need the refill. Hopefully not :)

I had liquid Percocet and took one dose the night I came home. I didn't need any other as I found that walking, walking, walking took away most of the gas pain, as well as sipping, sipping, sipping to keep your tummy full and gas moving out. I fortunately had NO surgical pain from my incisions.

I stopped yesterday... I was released from the hospital on Wednesday and took it every four hours as directed... When i woke up yesterday I only had a "pulled muscle" discomfort. I then decided to not take it unless i needed it... I actually got up and moved around better without the meds... I needed to take it early this am because I couldn't sleep because of being so darn itchy! I think the pain is different depending on your incisions... I had laparoscopic surgery... I have 5 small incisions one of which has a drain coming out of it... they are also high on my abdomen right below my bra line...

Yea this of course is different per person but for me I was given Liquid Lortab which I stop taking 2 days after surgery. I never really was in pain

What they gave me for pain never worked on gas so I only took it the first few nights. My incisions hurt some, but I rather not take any pain meds, its bearable to me.

I had no pain meds. Not in the hospital and not at home. I did take an Aleve on the day I went back to work, but just once to make sure I could make it through the day. That was one week post op and I didn't need it.

My pain was more like soreness, I walked a lot in the hospital as soon as I could and felt fine by day 4. Your mileage may vary!

Boy, I guess I'm the big baby of the group! I took liquid Lortab for the first week or so following surgery. I had surgery on a Tuesday and came home the following day. I started taking the Liquid Lortab Wednesday afternoon before leaving the hospital. I tried taking 2 tylenols on Saturday, but with them I felt a burning sensation in my tummy that I didn't want to deal with, so as soon as they wore off I went back to Lortab. I cut down to 1/2 dose by Tuesday and quit taking the Lortab on Thursday, 8 days after surgery.

Because you will probably need less Percocet as time goes by, I think you probably won't need another refill. Especially since I took pain more pain meds than anyone else I've seen post in this forum and even I was in good shape on day 8.

Lynda

I think I took three of the 30 in the bottle. Last one was the Wednesday might after a Monday surgery. I put it up in the cabinet with the Rx from my c-section.

I was sent home with liquid lortab and it is so nasty that I would rather hurt!! The pain isn't unbearable anymore and I am only three days out from surgery. The walking helps me to get gas out and gas-x strips.

I never took any from them removing the IV and I had an open drain since I had my gallbladder out too. I must have been very lucky. I'm 9 months out and I kept my "stash" of 30 for headaches since tylenol does nothing for them. I think I still have 10 to 12.

Just want folks to know some of use don't have too difficult of a time with pain.

I took two shots of morphine in the revovery room, felt like crap and never took another dose. They sent me home with an RX for this huge bottle of Vicodin. Never took it. Anybody want some Vicodin/oxycodone?

I never was in any pain except for the gas which I walked off. How could I have walked it off all drugged up? Besides, narcotics mess up you digestive system. Things slow down and don't move well.

Bunch of candy butts. Lmao

For the life of me every one says NO Aspirin. Heres a quick Wiki

Hydrocodone/paracetamol (also known as hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is a combination of two analgesic products hydrocodone and paracetamol (acetaminophen) used to relieve moderate to severe pain.[1] It is usually found in tablet form, produced and marketed under the trade names Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Anolor DH5, Bancap HC, Zydone, Dolacet, Lorcet, Lortab, and Norco, as well as generic brands. Hydrocodone also comes in a combination with ibuprofen, available under the trade name

Hmmmm no nsaids? Hmmm hmmm somethings wrong huh

(null)