Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Full Again...............

I am 3 weeks out and on the second week of mushies. i am trying to eat sllloowwww but it is hard. I am using a teeny spoon so im hoping its not AS bad, but i cant seem to get the proper amount of food. Im either not eating enough so i will find something and eat another 2 oz then i feel bad. how do you gage the proper amount of food? Do you eatonly a half cup and thats it? Can a veteran tell me how they gage it cause im struggling. Im doing great besides that. I never get hungry and i rarely think about chocolate cake and donuts anymore. RARELY lol. I am 25 pounds down in 22 days. im quite happy with the pound a day loss and i am working out an hour a day, i would rather lose slower and get toned so i dont have batwings and a bunch of jiggly bits.

The teeny spoon is good but undereat your sleeve. At 3 weeks out I was still on full liquids and getting about 320 calories a day from 2 Protein shakes. Now, I measure 1/2 cup of soft food (like cottage cheese) and if I finish it, fine, if not, that's okay too. For lunch today I microwaved 4 meatballs (about a tablespoon each) but could only eat 3. I ate the last one as a snack about 2 hours later.

You will figure it out over time.

Good job on the exercise!

I agree, it is better to under eat than eat too much. My surgeon's office tells us to take a bite every 10 minutes. I don't do this but I eat slower and I try to take measured amounts. I did something stupid today. I got angry at my daughter because she didn't do something I asked her to do before she left. So what did I do, I took the chili cheese fritos off her dresser and I ate a whole bunch. Now I am so uncomfortable and upset with my responding to a trigger and munching down on junk food. Yecks! I haven't done that for ions. Time to get back on track and recognize the trigger and exercise instead. Easier said than done.

Eat moderately and slow, use small utensils and small desert size plates to eat on. I have a beautiful desert plate that I always use and I love it! It's beautiful. ;)

Maybe I am eating too much or too fast as well...I ate 1 egg (my first time) today and it came right up. It didn't make me feel sick, but my mouth started to Water and I know what that means, time to worship the porcelain god smh!

I also tried to eat about 2 tbsp of pureed tuna and I'm feeling the same way but trying to keep it down. I ate twice as much of the same tuna yesterday and was fine. I'm getting so frustrated...

I know it's so frustrating! Hang in there, though, because your sleeve is really still healing (and will be for a few months!)--sometimes stuff works one day and not the next. Even I had this happen yesterday with some ham, and I'm 9 months out. It's just something we have to deal with, but it does get better and much less frequent as you get familiar with your sleeve's capacity and individual foibles.

Maybe try dairy and see if that sits a bit easier in your sleeve. And don't worry if you're not getting in all the food you think you should--you can't do what you can't do. Be kind to yourself and do what you can and don't sweat it--it will all get better over time. Hugs!!

I am still on liquids for another 10 days, but I am struggling a little to get used to the new sensations in my sleeve as well. I definitely don't know what full feels like because I am not really hungry like I used to be. It is all such a new experience. You are not alone in your question.

Fluffy, At 3 weeks out, I could NOT have eaten half a cup of anything, mushy or not. If it's causing you pain, perhaps try measuring out 2 ounces for yourself, eat it slowly, then give it a few minutes. If you're still hungry, you can always have more. It's hard to 'un-eat' if you've had that one bite too much. I'm grossed out by the thought of sliming or vomiting, so I always try to eat a little less than I need to fill me up. I don't always accomplish it, because I had my first ICK session last week, but I try. Mine was because I took a drink much too soon after I finished eating.

Good luck!!

Hi there,

I measure out my food and if I eat it all great, and if I don't, also great. But I don't eat more than what I measured and if I don't feel full right away, I do in about 15 minutes. It took some time to figure out though and I was throwing up a lot in the beginning :-(

When I was first starting out moving from the liquid diet to mushies and solids, I could just eyeball my portion of food that I knew I could eat comfortably. I cut up my meat or whatever I was eating, put it in a pile, and imagined if it could fit into a 1/2 cup.

If I didn't do that, I couldn't guess how much I had eaten and I would eat more than I should have, and I was sorry and in pain.

I am still on liquids for another 10 days, but I am struggling a little to get used to the new sensations in my sleeve as well. I definitely don't know what full feels like because I am not really hungry like I used to be. It is all such a new experience. You are not alone in your question.

You will not feel "full" at all while still on liquids.....they leave your sleeve almost immediately. Once you start on mushy or solid foods you can start to determine what "full" is for you. Always measure your food undereat your sleeve.....don't rely on feeling full or restriction.

Thanks, doggz. I figured that might be the case. I am looking forward to that next stage very much!