Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared About Life After Surgery

I thought abt getting the sleeve done two years ago but my parents talked me out of it but this time I feel like I researched a lot and I'm ready. I'm on the fourth day of my pre op diet, not really hungry which is a good thing. My doctor allows Protein Shakes for Breakfast n dinner and decent lunch which can be fish or chicken w veggies. But last night when my kids were eating I took a couple of crackers out of their plates w/o realizing it. Once I was on the third bite I was like "I'm not supposed eat this". Now I have this fear that I might do this after surgery as well and just regain or not even loose any weight at all. Another one of my fears is after surgery I have to come home to 3 kids which are 5, 2 and 10 months. Not seeing me for two days, they're going to jump on me and expect me to pick em up and love on em. Which the fear is if I might pop an incision or leakage might happen? On top of all this I saw the grim reaper in my dream this morning. Ughhh

I couple crackers aren't going to hurt you. I think I will become my mindful of what I eat. Right now post-op, I am very aware. It might not always be like that, so they tell you about "mindful eating. When you eat, you sit down and pay attention to the food.

As for the kids -- just have somebody explain that mom's got a boo-boo on the tummy so they need to be gentle.

Smith, You will have to pay attention to what you're eating after surgery, but it won't be a difficult thing to do. This surgery automatically changes your eating habits because you must follow the recommended diet for optimal healing.

As for the kids, you'll definitely need some help, but the aftercare is similar to what you need to do after giving birth. Don't pick up the kids from the floor. The older ones can climb up on the couch to sit next to you and the 10 month old can sit in your lap, possibly with a pillow to protect your tummy.

Honestly, though, the incisions aren't super vulnerable as long as you try not to lift more than you're allowed and don't let the kids kick your tummy.

Reading your post, I kind of got the feeling that maybe you're trying to talk yourself out of having the surgery. That's normal, especially the closer you get to your surgery date. However, you'll be so thrilled with the results once you start losing that you'll know it was the right thing to do. Imagine being so much healthier and lighter that you feel like taking the kids to the park AND you have the stamina to run around with them! Imagine your hubby's delight when he sees that you are slimmer, healthier and more interested in doing things with him! :)

A couple of crackers aren't going to kick your pre-op diet too badly, but you need to concentrate on being more aware of what you're eating. It's a pain in the tush, but it will be worth it in the end! :)

Good luck on your journey!!! :)

Lissa is right... just explain to the older ones you have a sore tummy. I did that with my granddaughter. It worked great & she understood. Now when she plays in "her kitchen" she makes all my food fat free & sugar free! LOL!!!

I won't re think the surgery cause I know this will only make me better. I did the same thing for my marriage, looking for signs that I'm doing the right thing lol. My kids are already asking, mommy how come your only drinking chocolate milk( she means Protein shakes). Thanks for the support!!!

Smith, the chocolate milk is a great jump point to start prepping the older kids for your after surgery changes! I'm sure you know that, but it's a good place to start saying little things about it.

I'm glad you're not considering backing out. I think that being nervous helps us make sure everything is handled before surgery. :)

Lissa

Smith,

I'm glad i'm not the only one feeling like this!! I did the exact same thing with my daughter today, but it was a fry! :( I didn't realize it until after i swallowed it! I was so upset! my daughter is also asking me why i'm drinking so much chocolate milk. lol.

When is your surgery?

I'm on the only liquid diet since my surgery is on on wednesday, the 18th. So i'm basically going crazy because i have to be feeding my daughter all these delicious meals and i can't have any!! but i know that one fry won't hurt, but i'm also afraid of how its going to be after surgery.

Am i going to have the urge to eat a whole burger just cuz i love the taste? That's scaring the crap out of me!

I have been having anxiety myself, a lot of restless nights thinking about the procedure, recovery, and ultimately the lifestyle change. I have been going to the gym 2x wk just to try to work it into my routine and make apart of my life. I work from home and its so easy to turn the computer off and plop down on the couch, or solve the neverending mystery in my house "honey, what's for dinner". LOL But I talked to my sister and hubby and they were able to get me refocused on the ultimate goal, which is healthy living and "hopefully" helping with infertility. What helps me and visiting this site and all the wonderful youtube vidoes out there...It real encouraging.

My surgery is on 27th with dr Clayton Frenzel. My husband is really good supporter(sometimes) before I decided to do this we were both biig coffee drinkers. Now since I can't have any, he cut down a lot as well. Meals are tuff, my kids are eating fried chicken, rice, noodles, eggs, sausage and since I'm making it, I smell it and when I smell it, I wanna taste it. Ughhh! My daughter asked me " mommy u wanna Oreo, u didn't even eat one yet, it's ur favorite" I told her that I can't right now. I felt good that I haven't eaten one yet. Weekends are harder cas I'm w the kids most of the time and weekdays I'm at work so it doesn't bother me. I guess as days go by it will get easier.

Whose ur doc?

You're going to do great! I personally believe the more you battle with food demons before surgery the better you will be after surgery. A cracker here and there isn't going to kill you. Remember- the goal is to be normal in all aspects. A normal weight, normal eating habits and a normal life. Most people will eat a few crackers- not an entire row of Ritz!

I agree that the 2-3 crackers are not going to hurt and if you eat them after surgery you are going to be full and not want anything else. Although they are not the best thing that you could eat there are many that would be far worse. You want to make sure that you eat your Protein first, then vegetables, then fruits and last of all carbs.

As far as your kids jumping on you that may occur but I am not sure that it would pop a stitch or make you bleed. You will just have to be careful when you get home as you will be more tender than pain. I know a couple of times I bumped my stomach on the counter edge and it did not feel so great. Is there anyone that can help you for a week or so after you get home from the surgery????

I also dreamed a lot of things before my surgery but now I am living a "REAL LIFE DREAM and I AM THE STAR". You can do it also.

I had dreams before and after surgery that I would eat or drink (soda) something that I shouldnt. I think it was because I was so careful not to fall into a trap by trying those unhealthy foods and drinks again that I thought about them all the time. A couple of times while cooking for my family I tasted something and immediatly spit it out...It was just a habit for so long...I dont have trouble any more. I have three children too. A little older than yours. They were 9, 3, and 18 months when I had surgery. My husband stayed with us 24/7 the first week and the second week he went back to work only in the afternoon after the two little ones went down for a nap. My 9 year old came home from school in time to help me when they woke up and the really the only thing I couldnt do was pick my daughter up out of her crib, we changed diapers on the floor and it was no biggy. My kids have always offered to share their goodies with me and I just tell them no thanks that would hurt my tummy. They always serve Protein when they play resturant now:)

I was really lucky this week (post-op week) that my mom took care of feeding my son. I just prepared his first meal entirely myself since surgery Monday. My son has been pretty good about being careful with my tummy. he lifts up my shirt and says "oh, my poor momma". It's pretty funny. I've only felt hungry in the last two days but it's been a huge help to have someone else deal with the food.< /p>

My parents live around the corner, my mom might live with us the first week after surgery. I have a big goal to meet, loosing 151 lbs and my doctor thinks best results are achieved in first 9 months.

Thanks for all the great support, it makes me feel better knowing m not alone.