Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't Understand Stalls Sometimes!

Hey all. First off, let me say the past few days I haven't been the most faithful to sticking to the plan, food wise. Now that that is out of the way...

Well, I'm almost 8 weeks out and going through, or might be finally pulling out of, a two-three week stall. The first week I contribute to my lovely TOM, but the second week left me baffled. I exercised, got my Protein, drank my Water and the scale wouldn't budge! Well, my family celebrated Christmas on Sunday (yeah, three weeks late!) as well as my aunt's birthday. We had it at my mom's and they decided to order pizza instead of cooking. I took a piece and ate the cheese and a few bites of the bread. They also brought a birthday cake, so I had a small bite from my mom's piece. Go to the scale the next day and you know what happens? The scale moves down two pounds below my lowest so far after fluctuating between the same three pounds for what seems like forever!

I thought, "well okay... maybe it's just because I finally broke the stall." Well, Monday and Tuesday, I went back to my routine of Protein, Water, exercise, etc. Get back on the scale Tuesday... I gain the two pounds I had lost. Wednesday, I went up another pound and a half. My roommate decides to make the cheesy garlic breadsticks that have been in our freezer for forever and a day. Now, I have a hard time resisting carbs and always loved carbs more than anything else. My snack as a kid was a piece of bread with butter on it, folded in half like a sandwich. I have home movies of me as a toddler, walking around and eating just a plain piece of bread. I've been adamant to keeping as many carbs out of the house as possible because of this problem. Anyways, the breadsticks are small, so I eat one and then a half of one later, careful to chew thoroughly until it's almost pureed consistency. Get back on the scale today... and the weight I had regained and then some are gone again! Sheesh.

I don't know what my body wants sometimes! I try to keep the healthy habits up, and when I slip is when my body decides to lose the weight? This doesn't mean I'm going to revert back to my old ways, because to be honest, my body wouldn't be able to handle it. I just don't understand that I stall for over two weeks eating as much protein, drinking as much water as possible, and when I cheat, that's when the pounds come off? I hope it's just a coincidence because while I do want to lose the weight, I don't want my insides to be unhealthy because of what I put in my mouth, even if it does make me lose the weight.

Has anyone else have something similar to this happen to them?

P.S. I normally don't weigh myself this obsessively. I usually weigh every third day, but I wanted to see what was happening weight-wise based on what I was eating. Sort of like an experiment.

I'm 14 weeks out as of yesterday. I track everything I eat on MyFitnessPal.com. I've found that if I keep my carbs around 40 a day, I loses weight. Doesn't matter how much Protein I get or Water I drink. If I go much under 40 carbs...I don't lose. If I go too much over, I don't lose. 40 is my "magic number".

I don't understand this, I've just noticed the trend and try to keep it around that number so that the scale is going in the right direction.

Hang in there. It's all a learning process.

I've been using fitness pal as well. Sadly, I didn't start using it until when I was about five weeks out, and that's when my stall started, so I can't tell what my magic number is. I feel better when I eat more than 30 carbs, and it really helps curb that awful ketosis I'm still having. I try to eat things that have more Protein than carbs in it, or at least about the same. Before, I had those thin sandwich Buns, the whole wheat kind. Those were basically the only true carbs I kept in the house. Luckily, I have an awesome roommate! When we go grocery shopping, I'll ask if he wants hotdog buns or something and he'll ask if I can have them. When I say no, he'll just say, "Nah, I can eat hotdogs without them." He now loves turkey bacon and turkey hotdogs, too. :wink1:

I need to experiment with carbs and see if I can find my magic number. I've tried low carb diets before, and they just don't work for me. I'm probably like you, and need like 40-45, not <30 that so many people on here tell us to do.

Hope to hear from people that have had a similar experience! Would love to see what sleeve veterans have to say. ;)

Good to see you are trying to figure things out. My body did crazy things during the losing phase too. How many caleries are you eating? I ask because your bash MAY be telling you that you need more. When I'd have a "carb" day ( eating more than norm) I'd eat more caleries total for the day. When I ate good, my caleries were less. Maybe your body wants more so it can lose better? Try it and see. Everyone's bodies work SOOO different. Trial and error seemed the only way things worked for me. Good luck!!!

I agree with the trial and error method cuz everyone is different even if its in just slight ways. I'm in my 9-10 th week and I've been stalled for almost a wk. Maybe its a common place to stall, like the 3 rd wk is?? I also popped up a pound and a half over a day then dropped it off again. I'm not too concerned yet. It's very hard for me to be patient but I know our scales will drop again. I am obsessed with the scale and weigh myself everyday. It sucks but I think I traded my obssessive eating for obsessive weighing. I'm working on this with my therapist, though. I know ur scale will drop, I just know it!