Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Workout Prevent Sagging Skin?

I am doing research on the Gastric Sleeve and one of my worries is with skin. What happens to our skin after such rapid weight loss? Is there anything that I can do to avoid or reduce the amount of skin that hangs? Also, what type of effect does the skin have on the self esteem? I appreciate any feedback. I am just worried... Thanks

This is and will be one of my greatest concerns too until the day comes when im at goal and go.. hmmm.. no sagging skin.. lol..

Ok so here is the deal.. it really depends on your body how much weight you have to lose, how long you have been at your weight, and YES IT DOES MATTER IF YOU WORK OUT OR NOT!

Here is why.. pregnant people get big and then it goes away in 9 months, now for someone who has been big say for the past 10 years your skin has stretched and had to carry that weight for a long time. which means its probably lost some of its resilience. It also depends a little on genetic make up and age. the younger you are and the more oily your skin is the less likely you will have to have an excess amount of skin.

For most of us we are going to have some type of excess skin, however by working out you are replacing the fat loss behind the skin with lean muscle which will even out a little bit.

I go to the gym 5 days a week doing not only cardio, but weight training too so that i can help my body along the way. so i would say thats a good place to start if you don't want the saggy skin.. also and most importantly..DRINK A LOT OF Water. it will help replenish you and help with the elasticity.

one last thing.. the faster you lose weight the less time your skin has to recover from it. I see a lot of people on here saying they are trying to get to goal in 6 months. which is great and all, but i don't think they are taking into consideration the toll that it will have on their bodies losing that much weight in such a short amount of time.. you didn't gain all that weight in 6 months so expecting to lose it in 6 months and have your skin go back to normal is a little far fetched...Im NOT saying its impossible im just saying its gonna be a damn miracle if it happens. lol..jk.. but really slow and steady is a good thing.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the information. I will start now with workouts, increased Water intake and realistic expectations. I appreciate your time and suggestions :) Have a wonderful journey!

no problem. and you too. im sure you will do great. so until the time comes try not to worry about it.. trust me you will drive yourself crazy.. lol

Exercise and hydration can only do so much. Beware they stretch marks, once skin hits a certain point not even age and skin vitality can really help. I am a slow loser, but I have the stretch marks from you know where and my skin sags really badly even though I am 22.

This is my worry too..

Blackanese is right on. That said, it is not going to prevent all skin issues. Time will help with this the most. It can take up to 2 years for the full results on how well your skin will retract.

IMPO, I never let this scare me from having weight loss surgery. I'd rather have some loose skin than have it packed in and be morbidly obese. I can hide my skin, I cannot hide being fat.