Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glass Of Vino After Surgery? What Are The Consequences?

I'd be interested in knowing the science behind why not to have alcohol after surgery. I just think it would be lovely to be able to have an adult beverage with hubby in the evening occasionally. I know you can get inebriated more easily, and it also is reputed not to stay with you as long. My physician recommends not drinking any alcoholic beverages for six months after surgery.

A few questions:

Does it interfere with your wound healing?

Does it impact your liver adversely?

Does it slow down your weight loss?

Looking forward to hearing from everybody!!

C2

What I read is that rapid weight loss puts a lot of strain on your liver, and alcohol strains it even further, so the combination is just not a great idea. There's also the fast inebriation effect you mentioned, and the possibility of a transfer addiction. I think all three factors combined is why so many surgeons advise against alcohol, at least for awhile. Personally, I've just never given a hoot about drinking, so the extra empty calories and carbs for something I don't miss aren't worth it. I'd much rather have a mini Reeses pb cup! To each her own.....

I have a glass of wine occasionally. I think the first time I had it post surgery was at around 5 months. Yeah, you definitely feel the buzz a lot faster; I don't know if it's the lower body weight or the fact that I'm such an irregular drinker--I'm talking maybe a glass of wine once a month or so. I do drink margaritas on occasion, as well, and find those kick my fanny pretty fast (so have to be very careful). If you tend to drink while there is food around, be very cautious about over-indulging because of lowered inhibitions or just not paying attention to what you eat. I actually can use that to my advantage sometimes--if I drink a few sips of margarita and chill for a few minutes, I can actually eat a bit more than usual (I think things just relax in my tummy a bit?); for me, this is not a bad thing and can be a really good thing, as my sleeve is still really small and very picky. If you're still in an active losing phase, maybe it's not such a good thing and is another reason to be cautious regarding alcohol.

Also, remember the dehydration factor. Alcohol can cause dehydration, so if you're having any trouble at all getting in your Water, subbing alcohol for some of that liquid probably isn't a smart idea.

I have occasionally have had a little bit of alcohol since the sleeve surgery. I didn't have any until about 5-6 months after surgery. I have had a small glass of liquor (irish whiskey or tequila) straight - and it takes less than 1 oz. for me to get a buzz. Good that I have practiced those tiny sips! I also have had about 1/4 cup of beer or wine twice. I only drank the 1/4 cup because that was when I felt a buzz and stopped. I haven't noticed any ill effects - but I did have to account for the calories in my daily totals.

Dear CC,

I have received the same feedback from my surgeon as well...6 months, and I do love a quality glass of wine. I would believe the rationale is probably because the risk of the inebriation and also irritation to the staple line. I miss having a good glass of wine here and there. I look forward to having a glass again in the future, until then, I will stick with watered down juice.

Now this is an interesting thread for me and I'd love to hear more personal experience.

I am not a drinker. Never been drunk. But I'm changing a LOT about my life and being more social in setting with "adult beverages" is one of the yeppers. So I'm over 6 months out (although we were not told to wait for non-fuzzy type drinks like wine, holding off on something like beer) and I've had a few experiences now and really noticed very little. I drank 2 beers rather fast one night as a test -- here at home all safe and sound, and felt basically nothing. Then I was at a neighbor's party and I had two glasses (normal wine sized glass but full) of wine in about an hour and again, felt basically nothing.

Is this normal? It certainly doesn't sound like it is. And it's bothersome to me because I have nothing to compare it to. The most I ever drank before was maybe 1 or 2 beers over HOURS at a cookout where I'd also had a burger...or, you know, maybe 2. So I didn't expect to feel anything from that.

I'm 5-7 and a bit over 200 pounds now for the frame of reference.

I am going out next weekend to a bar (yea, baby!!! - remember I'm old and this is all like a new world for me : ) )

and was wanting to move into something of the mixed drink variety. I never drive and my friend who does knows my situation. She's a diet coke drinker who is tagging along for the pool table. So I'm ready for the night but I'd love to know if my experience so far is odd ball (like so much of my life) or if there are others who are not impacted as they expected they would be. Also, is the part about it passing fast true? Maybe my buzz comes and goes so fast I don't notice? As I said, I am getting older..... lol

Just a thought on this topic, could it be maybe one reason we are restricted form alcohol is known to cause dehydration? Also I think I would be worried if I did erronously ended up inebriated and risked vomitting, but not sure if that would be a risk. I rarely drink myself and if I have a glass of wine, it is typically with dinner.. It will be interesting to see the effects

I think they are also very concerned about substituting addictions in the early days. By 6 months I was fully at peace with my sleeve but it takes a while and they want folks to not run to other ways to cope.

I had my first glass after 2 months and have had a few glasses a week since. My weight loss has been great.

Everything said above is true--cross-addiction, empty calories, getting drunk fast, etc.

I was a big social drinker before. I tried a few sips about two months out. I have allowed myself the occasional glass of wine or cocktail since month three. I am now 4.5 months out and I still can't really tolerate it. It BURNS in my stomach. If I drink slowly I can sometimes finish my cocktail or glass of wine, and sometimes I get a pleasant buzz or a fun tipsy, but most of the time I just feel sorta sick, and if I'm in a social situation I end up not having a good time until it passes. The last several times I've ordered a drink with dinner or at a bar I've only been able to drink half of it before giving up.

I was told by my doc at my 3 month appointment that I was totally healed inside and out so I'm not worried about it hurting my staple line. I'd say just make sure you proceed with caution and definitely try it at home the first couple times. I poured myself half a shot so I could shoot with my friends on new year's eve and man oh man, I was sloppy drunk for about 15 minutes afterwards. Good luck.

I've had a glass of wine. No problems .. No fast effect. Same as before surgery.

I would think that doing it all the time the empty calories would add up quickly.

I enjoy a glass now and then.

I was kind of hoping for the quick buzz. So I could be just as cheap of a date as I am with food.

No go same as always!!:)

Julie

Im almost 9 months out, and I was told I could have wine after 1 month post op. Im able to drink as much as I did before, feel like I get buzzed at the same rate as I did before too, the only thing I noticed is that where I used to like red wine I only like the whites now..I do agree with the transfer addiction too, be careful

I had one glass at Christmas, about 1 month out. It burned a little, so I stopped. At nearly 7 weeks out, I had 4 glasses over a period of maybe 4 hours. I did NOT feel drunk at all & it went down fine. Losing steadily!

I went to a New Year's Eve party and had the tiniest sip of white wine. It burned my stomach and scared the bejeezus out of me, so I immediately switched to Water. I will be a good girl and wait until 6 months out. But this summer, I am having some vodka!

I'm almost 6 weeks out and am enjoying a glass right now! It's earlier than my post op, but it isn't irritating me at All.