Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Mos Out - Pix - Frustration!

Hey y'all, long time no type. It's been six months since I had the vast majority of my stomach removed in a hospital in the Austrian countryside!

The highlights:

• I've lost up to 60lbs (down to 253).
  • Went from a tight size 26 to a size 20.
  • Am fitter & more able to exercise than ever before, even the last time I was this weight.
  • I've been on & off very sick (sinus/upper respiratory issues, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia -- all predate surgery, but I wish they'd improved more than they have)
  • I'm worried I'll be stuck here forever

Here's a little pic montage! All photos are post-op. I forgot to take pre-op photos (yes really!). In the first ones, I've lost about 20lbs already. Newest ones were yesterday in a fitting room for my new sz 20 jeans.

20120106-pxqpae5byhp85rfip4mwec683k.png

I'm VERY excited about the size 20 jeans.

But I'm also super frustrated sad.png

This graph from the ticker factory kinda shows why:

20120106-njciceccgdn3arnimtr5pt8u12.png

The lowest weight I reached was 250 on Dec 1. My weight shot up 6-8 lbs overnight one night, and fluctuates wildly 3-4lbs on any given day. On Monday, after a transatlantic flight, I weighed 260. Today, 256.

Obviously this *can't* be fat. I mean, I don't always stay below 900 calories, but I surely haven't eaten 21,000 calories in a day or even a week or two weeks. And, as I keep trying to remind myself, 60lbs in just over 6 mos is a pretty good pace!

But the weeks on end of no real, positive movement are getting to me.

I struggle with exercise. I still have pain in the muscle areas under my incisions. I have back and hip problems due to an injury/genetic disorder. My ankles are screwed up from an injury, too.

Some days, just 10 minutes of aerobics will leave me exhausted & unable to do anything else, not even think… that's a chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia thing. I take D-Ribose and magnesium, & they help, but don't solve the problem.

And it seems like once a month, I get sick enough to require time off and antibiotics. Luckily I run my own biz, or I'd be sooo fired right now.

Post-op, I'm definitely better off than I was. I'm definitely *fitter* than I was, in terms of how far/how long I can walk, how fast I can walk, stairs, etc. But it hasn't seemed to help my immune system at all -- and it certainly hasn't made the CFS/FM go away sad.png

When I'm sick, I don't have the energy to be Super On The Ball Girl with what I eat. I don't eat fast food, and I don't binge… I feel so lucky that I never had an eating disorder, but I'm an "eat to live" girl and when I am so tired or ill, I just don't have the energy to be fussy. I'll eat whatever's easy… my ability to resist is low. It could be (part of) a sandwich or grilled chicken wrap, schnitzel (which is always breaded) or some chocolate. I feel like I'm still eating an appropriate *volume* -- when I weigh my food, I eat about 4 to 5 oz of Protein at a clip.

Anyway, that's my rave / rant. I'm so thrilled to be in the size 20. But worried & anxious & frustrated that it's not a size 16, or even 18. And worried I'll be stuck here for ages, since I've been stuck here for over a month. sad.png Worried that I don't "have what it takes" & won't ever, not physically and not mentally, to be hard core about it, and that I'd have to be hard core to get much further than this. Blargh!!

If you've got something to say that you think could help me, I'm all ears.

I am not sleeved yet but... I think you look amazing! You look so much better than in the other pics.

Slow and steady. You know where you can change things to get there, if you really want to get there. I know you do want to. Keep your head in the game. I pray your over being ill so you can focus on doing the best you can do. :)

Have you tried weights? I know you said that cardio/aerobics but Walmart sells some cheap dumb bells that you can do at your desk or on your couch. The weight you lost is great and if you are staying on top of your calories in then excercise is the missing component.

That a look at your Water intake too. I notice that I fluctuate terribly if im low on water even a little bit. You look fantastic by the way!!!!

You do look great - give yourself credit for your accomplishments! Since when you are sick, you eat what you have available, it is going to be important for you to always have healthy foods on hand that will fit into your eating plan. Then, when you grab the first thing available, it won't ruin your eating for the day.

Good luck with your sleeve journey and your health.

First of all, congratulations on your progress! You've done GREAT, and you should absolutely Celebrate that.

Some of us lose more slowly than others, and I agree 100% that can be so frustrating! It makes it all the more important to focus on how far you've come, on the improvements you're seeing, and on why you're taking this journey.

The only advice I'd offer is to watch the carbs. You may already be doing this, but I find that if I keep the carb count low that really helps me with keeping the scale moving. I aim for under 40g net carbs / day. If you're not doing it already, it might be worth a try, especially since your ability to exercise is limited. Also, how many grams of Protein are you getting in a day? If your body isn't getting enough, you may be losing muscle mass, which will further slow your metabolism.

Keep your chin up, you've made great strides!

I'm a nurse and have noticed with my patients who are following our healthly lifestyle program that they tend to gain Water weight when they are on antibiotics or when they are sick. I don't think it's to crazy to think that when we are sick our bodies say "hey, i need that extra water to heal this body" and it's holds onto it. Water is needed in our body's chemical reactions to break down fat and to eliminate our body of toxins. So of course water is used in healing. My friend, who is a nutritionist says, the more water I drink the more weight I will lose because my body "knows" it will always have enough water to do what it has to. And with that, I raise my glass of ice tea with a dash of raspberry crystal lite added for flavor and say "Here's to us sleevers. May your teeth be floating every day"! LOL

Big hugs to you!

Congrats! You have lost 60 lbs. YAYYYYY. Now it may be time to jump start your system again with going back to basics and doing MisslilDiva's boot camp. Yeah, I know it's definately going to be a challenge. But by following her weight loss boot camp, this will trigger your body to loss more weight. Please check her boot camp out! By the way, you are looking great so keep up your journey. ;)

Hey..Congratulations..I am 5 months out and a slow loser too..I'm down 55 lbs now.so we are going at the same pace which is fine for me..I exercise 3 times a week ..so if you can do any type that would be great.

You are really doing well, especially considering the other medical conditions you have!!

I suggest shopping for more sleeve friendly foods to keep on hand. I keep cheese in the fridge for Snacks, along with canned tuna in the pantry.

Get yourself a cute Water bottle and some flavors that u like to increase your Water consumption, if that's an issue for you.

You will get there, but I understand your frustration with the scale. Maybe put it in a closet for awhile and see if that takes the mental pressure off.

Good luck!!

Lissa

Looking at the weights you've posted, looks like great progress to me! Now's the time to actually "live". I would advise you to not constantly look at the scales, and just live and eat within reason. You're doing just fine, now enjoy the trip!

I'm a believer in gathering all the info you can, so thanks to all of the above for your good advice. When I hit the shelf, I'll keep these comments in mind.

Ahoy, it's a shame you don't feel as good as you look. None of the illnesses you are battling are any worse or more dangerous than obesity, and look what a winner you are with that. Conquering weight is such a battle for life ... keep your eye on that prize, and the rest will surely be far easier wars to win. Best of luck.

i think you look wonderful! Congrats on your success thus far! i am a super slow loser, and stuck in a stall. Lets KIT and support one another. Let me know what works for you. I think ill be doing diva's boot camp!!

Looking at the weights you've posted, looks like great progress to me! Now's the time to actually "live". I would advise you to not constantly look at the scales, and just live and eat within reason. You're doing just fine, now enjoy the trip!

Thanks!

I realized that graph wasn't the best example, cuz I only log the lows. So right now I'm 256. Which means that in 2 mos, I've lost just under 4lbs in actuality :( I got down to 250, then boom, up again practically overnight, basically negating 2 mos of progress… soooo frustrating.

congrats hun ... there is progress in your pics ... I think you look good and the weight is coming off... i have nothing more to add.... my fellow sleeve have said it alll just wanted to tell you - you look great ... stay focused and try the lilmissdiva boot camp it worked for me i was stuck for awhile so i know how you feel ...