Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm Freaking Out!

Hi guys!!! First time here. Surgery date is not far away and I think my nerves are trying to talk me out of this. I'm a single mom to a handsome 4 yr old boy. I am all he has. He is my world. I keep thinking of all the things that can go wrong. This is a major surgery! I have one of the best doctors in Chicago, but lately I am having palpitations and thinking of the complications--->mainly death. Did any of you experience this? When I was cleared by psych he cautioned to cover all bases and to have any desired wishes/plan readily available to my family.I am doing this to get my life back so I can be active with my son. Stressing. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

I experienced some anxiety... But you said it yourself, you are doing this for your son and to get your life back!!!..

BTW, I'm also from Chicago... Let me know if there's anything I can help you with... Who is your surgeon??

Dr Rami Lutfi @ St Joe's on LSD. Where did you have your surgery?

Little Company of Mary in Evergreen Park, Dr. Gerald Cahill

I think for many of us this is VERY common before surgery. I felt this way and the strange thing was that I was so calm the morning of surgery. I spent a ton of time praying about my decision and then just tried to leave it in God's hands. Take a deep breath and spend some sweet time with your son.

Yes, there are risks to this surgery - there are risks to any surgery. You can minimize the risks of problems with your surgery by picking a surgeon that is experienced with the sleeve. How many sleeve surgeries has your physician done in the past 12 months? How many sleeve surgeries has your physician done in total? A search of the literature shows, the more experienced the doctor is, the fewer problems they have. I would be looking for 50-100 in the past 12 months (for me personally)

Second thing to consider - the hospital where you will have your surgery - how many sleeve surgeries have they had in their facility this year? Same kind of thing as above - the more surgeries like yours the hospital has done, the fewer problems the patients have.

OK - so if you pick an experienced surgeon and he/she does your sleeve at an experienced hospital, you have minimized your risk of a problem caused by the surgeon or the hospital.

The way you can minimize risk of problems post-surgery is be 100% compliant with rules your doctor lays out. The pre-op diet is there to shrink your liver (which lessions the risk of damage to your liver during surgery). The rigid post-op diet (Clear liquids, then full liquids, then mushies) is to give your incision line time to heal before you put solid foods into your stomach. Many patients who have problems post surgery bring it on themselves due to non-compliance with the strict after surgery diet. (Not all - some problems that the surgeon caused aren't discovered till the swelling subsides)

So if you choose your surgeon and hospital carefully and commit to following the program he/she lays out for you - can you eliminate ALL risk? No - but a high % of it. Then, you are left with a choice - would you rather take a short term risk of having the surgery and getting the long term gain of being a much healthier, happier mom for your 4 year old; or minimize the short term risk (NOT have the surgery) and have a much higher long term risk of being in poor health or dying from weight-related problems when your son is older?

Only you can make the choice. And the psychiatrist was only being prudent about making sure you have your paperwork / wishes for your son clear before surgery - that is something you would need to do with any kind of surgery - in fact any time you undergo anesthesia. I did that each time I have had surgery - will, living will, medical power of attorney, and a sheet for my husband telling all of my bank account #'s, insurance policy #'s, keys to this or that, and my wishes for specific things. That kind of planning is again just prudent behaviour.

Good luck with your decision.

Sharon

thanks for the replies.

Hi, I'm also having these fears. My doctor is also Dr. Lufti, when is your surgery? I'm meeting with the psychologist on Wednesday and on Monday I'm having my sleep apena test.

Please email me and let me know how things are going. I'm a mother of 3, I have a husband but I basically take care of everything.

my email is jcibarra24@msn.com

Good Luck!!

Having surgery is scary, but NOT having surgery is scaryer. Take one day at a time. The first 2 weeks were absolute hell, BUT there is hope at the end of the tunnell. My third week I was able to begin eating some things that resembled food. Once I began eating food it increased my energy level tremendously. One important side note: Make sure you drin, drink, drink or you will be back in the hospital because of dehydration. No fun!! I am now 8 weeks out and can pretty much eat anything that I plan for. Good luck to you.

Oh, I definitely had those freak out moments. I have a husband and three boys that love and count on me. I prayed like a fiend for weeks before the surgery. I know my life is in God's hands and that was my comfort. Whatever the outcome was to be for the best. I also took great comfort in my surgeon's complication rate, which is extraordinarily low. It IS good to have your head rooted in reality though. I think you're having very normal feelings. I pray all goes perfectly for you!

I have not been sleeved yet. :( My ins required a 6 month dr supervised program instead of the 3 that I was told initially, so 3/1/12 is my 6 month visit and we already have everything ready to submit that day. So hopefully I'll get approved and get a date in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the prayers Dooter :) ~We are at similar starting weights now. I am 339 and was 369 in oct. I have had trouble posting my ticker.

Hey I grew up in Chicago!

I know it's normal to worry, but you'll find that we all really love being sleeved. You'll be happy you did this! Complications are rare so as long as you follow your doctors post op diet, the chances of anything going wrong are very slim.

Try not to worry and keep in contact with everyone on this board and you'll do fine. You're going to love being thin

and you'll be much healhier for you and your son!

Check out my latest post. I've had some great responses and they have helped. Good luck and susy in touch