Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Hey Coops, none of the computers I have access to will open that simulator, could you plug in my stats and tell me what it says? 5'3" 167 lbs 30 yrs, and I would like to lose 40 pounds in <3 months.

Hiya GT,

yea, what Feedyoureye said re the stats... looks like the 6mths option is the healthiest way.

How you doing today, seems you've been a lil up and down (same here to be honest).

Hey Coops, I have been up and down, and very frustrated with this 2 month stall. My brain has reverted to feeling and interacting with the world as though I'm pre-sleeve, like I'm morbidly obese again, psychologically. =(

FeedYourEye - I sit at a desk for 8 hours and then:

Monday - 20 minute run, trx strength training, tango - 3 hours total

Tuesday - 20 min run, yoga - 2 hours total

Wednesday - 20 min run, trx strength training -1 hour total

Thursday - 20 min run, yoga, tango - 3 hours total

Friday - 20 min run

This is a relatively new schedule for me, only in my 3/4th week of it. I've lost 127 pounds over 17 months and am 40 pounds away from goal. As iffy as it may be to do the 600 cals, I'm concerned that taking too long to get to goal will actually make getting to goal physically difficult, I want to finish this already so I can move on physically and psychologically to the phase of maintenance.

Feedyoureye,

This simulator is SO cool! Thank you for sharing! It makes me feel like I can really get to goal, as long as I keep my calories under control and keep exercising regularly. As Coops says, slow but steady wins the race!

This application is pretty cool... it was very close to how much I lost so far. It shows how much you should eat to lose whaterver you want an how much time it will take, check it out...

http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/

here it is again. My computer askes me if i will allow a Java applet to open, I say yes, then it takes a little time for the button to show up on the screen, then press the button, then it takes a little time for the applet to open... then you can fill it in and everything is pretty easy. It also offers to walk you through the program.

Well, I'm a bit confused by the simulator. When I plug my information in, it says my baseline diet is 2312 calories per day (I think that's to maintain my current weight at my height, age, and activity level, right?). In order to achieve whatever goal, it says I am to reduce that caloric intake by X calories--but I'm already eating right around that "reduced" number of calories now, and I haven't lost diddly squat this month! So I'm not sure if I did something wrong with the simulator or what. :-)

I think medical science does not account for something. Did you figure your whole weight loss experience time? From surgery? or where you are now till you are finished losing?..only 2 pounds but still... I am eating around 12-1600 cals a day , so should be losing something, but really sticking to the same area for quite a while... even up a bit. Here is one of my charts from the simulator:

Assuming I eat more cals than I log (I don't log green veggies, carrots or tomatoes) and perhaps forget some things, or under estimate cals... always possible.... then 1500 could be right. This does not account for the 400-800 calories a day I ate for many months in the beginning. The activity choices.. I think the desk lifestyle is pretty right on for much of my life, however I do work out 4-5 times a week as well so I think my activity choice is pretty right on. I wonder what it is that keeps many/most of us needing so much less calories to maintain... calories in calories out... but that means we are in hibernation most of the time or eating in our sleep!

I tell you what I did. I plugged in my current stats, current weight, age, activity level, and put in a new goal weight to be reached in 180 days. It showed that my current caloric requirement is 2312 (which is really high--I'm not consuming near that many calories now), and that to reach my new goal in 180 days, I need to reduce my calories by X amount daily. My question is, I'm already eating around the suggested reduced amount of calories now--and I certainly am not losing a lot of weight, if any, for this whole last month. According to this calculator, I'm supposed to be able to maintain my current weight at 2312 calories a day, and I should be losing if I'm eating fewer than that, right? And I'm definitely not--

I think I'm going to experiment with detailed logging for a few days just to verify that my caloric intake is really what I think it is. Maybe I've been overeating all this time and have just been unaware of it, but I don't think so. I suspect that my metabolism is sort of shot because of hypothyroid issues (although I'm on Synthroid now--maybe years of obesity and thyroid malfunction have taken a toll and sort of permanently slowed my metabolism?).... and I'm definitely experiencing a lot of stress, so cortisol and other hormones might be part of this picture. Logging should eliminate that as the problem, though, so one step at a time.

This is really interesting - re the cal thingy - i am defo eating under 1500 cals a day and not losing. But not gaining either... I am now seeing the lower end of my bounce range and will up date my ticker tomorrow if the scale still says 164 or 165... I think these things are good for awareness and guidance. They simply can't factor in everyone's individuality. I agree with you Meg... there are a lot of other issues underlying the way our bodies react and although the cal in cal out thing is the way forward it is a one size fits all train of thought - like the BMI scale - and again, doesn't factor individuality of each body.

I really do believe that the hormones; the good, the bad and the ugly all pay a huge role in how we lose weight and how the our body reacts.

I know for a fact that my body is struggling with hormones and although the HRT Patches are helping, it is going to take a while for them to settle into my system. So, for me, it is a case, of 'lets wait and see what happens'! But I have waited this long and will continue to do what I am doing... I actually feel comfortable eating around 1000-1200 cals a day and at the moment that is my focus. The low carb thing didn't work for me so I have introduced healthy ones that make me feel better and give me more energy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little update here... it has been a bitter sweet weekend so far! Friday I was proper sick it started with blurred vision first lesson, the I had a headache. I took some painkillers and hoped it would go away but it was followed with tummy cramps... I went over to our little office where we have lunch, to get some space as I had a free lesson and I just got really upset, tearful and 'wobbly' if that makes sense. Work is still very hard at the moment and I am doing as best I can but for some reason, Friday I was really struggling. I had a cuppa and a dry piece of toast, hoping I would settle and my tummy would behave but the cramps came harder and I threw up some bile -YUK! I asked to leave work as I knew I couldn't teach like this ... luckily I did as I hadn't been home twenty minutes when I needed to loo... I don't need to add anymore info here do I!!

I spent the rest of the day asleep on the sofa, and I felt proper sh*t! Cold, dizzy, sweaty and the stomach cramps came in waves. Today the cramps have gone and I have been ok with the food that I have eaten... not great food, but at least it has settled in my tummy.

I needed to get a dress for Jack's funeral, as his parents have requested that the ladies wear 'colours - no black' and there is nothing in my wardrobe appropriate... Anyway, long story short, the very first shop I went into I found a colourful dress (browns, beiges and reds) that would be suitable for a funeral, but also somthing I could wear again (I don't mean that to sound harsh but I can't afford a funeral wardrobe!). The only sizes left were UK 8, 10, 14 and 18. I knew the 18 would be too big, so I bought the 14. When I got home and tried it on, it actully fitted... and looks lovely too. I might need to wear 'big pants' but I am cool with that...lol.

I hope Jack is looking down and laughing at me, 'cos he really would be proud to see me at my smallest size just for him!!!!

To say that I am going through a whirl wind of emotions right now is an understatement...

Sorry it has been a long one...lol x

Aw, Coops, I'm so sorry--how icky to be sick on top of bereaved. I hope everything picks up for you very soon in terms of physically feeling better. Being a member of a loving, caring community is really important when the community mourns one of its own--I know y'all will collectively comfort one another through celebrating Jack's life and his continuing presence with you.

Hang in there--thinking of you and yours.

Coops, feel better! I'm sorry to hear you were sick on top of all the other stresses you were having :-(.. I hope this weekend brings you some sunshine and you start to feel better!!!

Thank you for your kind words... this is such a rollercoaster for me at the moment. Today I am at the top of it, just looking down! Ready for the 'dip' if that makes sense.

I bought a pair of boyfriend cut jeans in a UK size 14... thinking that they would spur me on a little... I just had to try them on...

they FIT!!

So one minute I am feeling really low and sad and the next I am elated as my original size goal was a 14 jean!

My head really is in the shed...lol... but I am proud and pleased with myself - and all this in the middle of a bloody long stall!!

Phew! I really do need a holiday!

Coops, my thoughts are with you! Your "attack" sounded exactly like my gallbladder attack, do you still have your gallbladder?

Y'all, I just posted in another place about visiting my local farmers' markets this week--WOW! I am sitting here eating the best salad I have ever made--it's roasted beets, homemade orange vinaigrette, microgreens, and feta cheese--good for me and completely healthy, AND I know where all the food came from!! I think this is fun, and it feels healthy and tastes amazing!

What are some foods you eat that make you feel especially good?

Sounds great Meg! I went out to the garden and picked fresh kale. Chopped it fine, mixed with walnuts, white stilton and dried blueberries (I usually use fresh, but was out) I chopped up some Jicama for crunch, a splash of low fat ginger sesame dressing.... BIG YUM!