Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I am single female, just turned 41 two weeks ago with a daughter who will be 20 years old next month. I have been a Social Worker for nearly 20 years but have been home for 4 years after massive emergency surgery where I almost died. I was a serious workaholic (80 - 100 hrs/wk) and this change of pace has been quite an adjustment for me but I have learned to stop and appreciate the small things in life.

I have been significantly overweight since my mid-20's lingering around 270 lbs at 5'3" but over the years I put on weight, perhaps 10 lbs per year. I reached my high point 402 lbs in September 2012 and 'sort of' tried dieting and lost about 20 lbs.

I have sleep apnea and high blood pressure but in July 2013 are started testing as pre-diabetes with sugar levels of (105). It was enough for me to be approved for surgery by November. My surgery date at 368 lbs was December 2, 2013 where I had the VSG in New Jersey. I lost a good portion of my intestines in the first surgery in 2010 so the gastric bypass wasn't really an option for me despite my weight and I really did not want to do that one.

I have a 2 year old (this month) chihuahua/jack russell mix named Sheldon (after The Big Bang Theory) He is quite the character and keeps me company. I got him as soon as my prolonged hospital stays came to an end because I had a hard time staying home without a nurse being there.

I love to read, murder mysteries are my favorite especially those told from the crime/forensic science perspective. Some of my favorite authors include Patricia Cornwell, Jonathan Kellerman, Tami Hoag, James Patterson, etc. I absolutely love the classics Jane Austen - who I can read over and over again, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, just to name a few. I like watching movies romantic comedies, tear jerkers, drama, comedy, action. I like going to the movie theater but I can watch them at home too. Clearly I have too much time on my hands. I used to fill my days writing but I stopped a few months ago and plan to start again. It was cathartic. Of course there is the Internet. I like Facebook. I don't post a lot of personal stuff there but I have friends who love to and it is always interesting to read the morning posts.

I walk every day with my dog despite the fact that I am struggling right now with eating. At four months post op, I have experienced a tremendous amount of early success and I need to get my focus back. I am now 295 lbs but I was as low as 281 lbs in February 2014 but I let my eating get out of control and regained some of my weight. Still I look at my before picture at 368 lbs and realize I still nearly lost an entire person so I have to focus on the small things for now. I look at my face in the mirror and I actually have a chin. It's weird. I actually am confident enough to put on a pair of jeans for the first time in 20 years so that is really big for me. My daughter came home from college for spring break and couldn't stop staring at me in those jeans, neither could her dad. I just laughed. They were both happy for me and my success since they hadn't seen me in months.

I just recommitted to this journey yesterday after a nearly two month hiatus due to relationship problems. Now that is over and I can regain perspective on what is important. I feel like I am being reborn yet again.

this is a great post idea. I am writing this from my hospital room less tha 24 hours post VSG. I really don't know who I am right now. I am certainly on a journey. One that has taken me thousands of miles from my home and my children. I am running away from being the funny fat chick. I am not sure why.I started this journey six months after I lost my mother. I am not sure why I didn't know who I was anymore after she's was gone. I just knew that I didn't feel ok in this body any more. I put on 25 lbs since have died and everything on me hurt. My knees, my back, and my heart. It wasn't enough to just be me. I am sitting here now questioning who or what it is I want to be and I know the possibilities are endless. I want to be the mom who has the energy to play with my kids and the wife who my husband is proud to be with. I actually wouldn't mind being the funny chick in size10!!

this is a great post idea. I am writing this from my hospital room less tha 24 hours post VSG. I really don't know who I am right now. I am certainly on a journey. One that has taken me thousands of miles from my home and my children. I am running away from being the funny fat chick. I am not sure why.I started this journey six months after I lost my mother. I am not sure why I didn't know who I was anymore after she's was gone. I just knew that I didn't feel ok in this body any more. I put on 25 lbs since have died and everything on me hurt. My knees, my back, and my heart. It wasn't enough to just be me. I am sitting here now questioning who or what it is I want to be and I know the possibilities are endless. I want to be the mom who has the energy to play with my kids and the wife who my husband is proud to be with. I actually wouldn't mind being the funny chick in size10!!

My name is Melissa, and I'm 49 years old. I'be been married for 21 years to my husband Tim and we have two boys 13 and soon to be 17 years old. I joke and say the only time in my entire life that I was underweight was the day I was born and it's been an uphill battle ever since.

I am finishing nursing school in a month and receiving an associates degree in nursing science and criminal justice as well. I hope to start my bachelor's in the fall and take my NCLEX in July. I feel that this is the right decision for me because I have gained and lost so much weight in my life I could make six or seven regular size people. I'm ready for a permanent change and a tool that will assist me in being successful. I have numerous comorbidities (rheumatory arthritis, hyperlipidemia from the prednisone used to treat the RA, hypothyroidism, and recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea). I'm hopeful that the weight loss will greatly improve my health. I want to be around to enjoy my children and family and to make a difference in other people's lives as well.

I am currently scheduled for surgery April 29th and am learning to enjoy my Protein shakes. I lost almost 35 pounds prior to beginning my pre-op diet and am so excited. Looking forward to making some friends along my journey. Keep you posted.

Hi Everyone,

I'm NancyInOKC,

I am 53 years old, married, and work fulltime in the telecom industry. I have 2 grown daughters and 4 wonderful grandkids. I've been overweight most of my adult life, and have tried and failed at most "diets". My weight has caused health issues for years. I have tried to get insurance approval for WL surgery several times over the last 10 or so years, to no avail. After being told that I need back surgery, or lose 100 lbs, I began researching again. I determined that my husband's new employer does cover the surgery with prerequisites and a hefty copay. I figured our budget and found a way to do it. Surgery is May 5th!

I am very excited about starting my new life and hope to be a great "Loser"

I'm Jessy. I'm 18 years old, a high school senior, and I'm about a month away from graduating.

Ever since about fourth grade, I've been obese. I've always been the "larger child". My parents have tried their hardest to help me lose weight, from diets to exercise, but nothing ever helped. I always heard people say "oh she's young, she'll lose the weight in no time", and yet I've never been able to, no matter how hard I tried. Temptation was too strong, resources were lacking, and an overall lack of motivation didn't help at all.

Around 6th grade, I stopped menstruating.Upon seeing a doctor, I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and a Pre-Diabetic. As someone from a genetically diabetic (type 2) family on both sides, I was a likely candidate for the latter if I did not lose weight.

The idea to go under the VSG did not come to mind until about my junior year of high school, as my weight increased along with my deficiencies in immunity, energy, and general health. There were many difficulties insurance wise, but finally I was approved and my surgery took place on April 14, just three days after my 18th birthday. It's been six days, and I am currently down about 10lbs, more than I've ever lost during my failed dieting regimes.

I am determined to reach my goal weight of 125lbs, which is a healthy weight for my stature, not just for my health but for my self confidence. I want to lead a new life as I move on from high school to college. Honestly, I can't wait to buy some cute clothes~ :P

Hi Everyone.

I'm Christine and I'm 49 years old struggling with my weight since my 20's when I started working night shift as a nurse.

Just now giving up the battle and admitting I need this surgery so I'm already approved and will soon be scheduled.

I had to recently retire due to health issues some related and unrelated to my weight.

I sell on ebay now full time and love it.

I love to travel but haven't been able to lately due to some cardiac troubles so pretty much grounded these days.

I am involved with some online travel forums and I'm a Disneyphile.

I miss going to Disney too since getting disabled and hopefully that will change soon.

I have two cats, I am single, never married and live alone in downtown Miami, FL.

I love the beach and spend my summers in Hollywood beach near Miami.

While I am on this weight loss journey I am also focusing on becoming a minimalist.

I have way too much stuff and am finding joy in just giving away everything and keeping

just a few things. It's a tough job but it's keeping me very busy. LOL.

Boy do I have alot of junk!

Glad to have found this forum and hope to be an active participant.

Thanks for having me.

Christine

Greetings everyone! I love this idea since there is so much more to each of us than problems with our weight.

My name is Leona and I am 44 years old, living on the outskirts of Denver. My husband and I have been married 26 years and have two boys, 21 and 15. We also have a collection of 4-legged critters including two German Shepherds, a terrier and a very large cat, plus a tank of tropical fish. In my work-a-day world I am a financial analyst for a hospital system headquartered in Denver.

I have had weight problems since I reached puberty in 6th grade. Before that, my family always worried because they thought I was too small! Nonetheless, between 6th and 7th grade I suddenly "blossomed" ;) . Throughout school I was overweight until I met hubby during my Junior year and fell in love. The weight dropped and for the first time, I was no longer the "fat girl" in the AP classes. My weight stayed healthy until I got pregnant with our first boy about 5 years later. I gained 75 lbs with that pregnancy and never lost any of it. Then gained another 45 with the second and at this point, 15 years later, I still weigh what I did at 8 months pregnant.

In combination with my weight issues, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2001. Being overweight and struggling with issues of weakness and bad balance don't always work out well together! For several years I fooled myself into thinking I was doing fine, but in the last 5 years I have realized that my weight is contributing to many of the issues I always blamed on the MS.

I met and started talking to my surgeon almost 4 years ago, and have put a lot of thought into this decision. Tomorrow is my last required visit with the NUT, then we can submit to insurance. Fingers crossed that I will have surgery date scheduled soon!

Blessings to you all!

Leona

Hello!

I am 55 years old, happily married to a wonderful, active husband for almost 22 years now and have struggled with weight since I turned 30. Childless by choice.

My weight issues started right after I got diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I went for therapy for a few years and need to stay on the meds for life which help me immensely. I got diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a couple of years after that and had to have 2 brain surgeries, tons of meds including steroids which caused my adrenal gland to shut down and I gained over 60 lbs. in 6 months! I felt like someone grabbed my big toe and blew air in it until I became a round ball like the in a cartoon. I am only 4' 11" so that's a lot of weight!! Then--pulmonary embolisms which I nearly died from (just can't get rid of me that easy though...). I have recovered from all that and feel pretty good--except for the weight of course and need to lose about 90-100 lbs.

I am a animal behaviorist with a veterinary medicine background and clinical science. I admit I am a nerd and love science! I also have a background in acting and singing (performed on off-Broadway and Lincoln Center). Don't do that anymore (well I sing for fun). Love, love to play in the garden, have backyard chickens, 2 ponds with friendly fish, 2 awesome dogs and a sweet indoor kitty. We travel a lot and have a live in house sitter to care for the "zoo" while we are gone. I teach backyard chicken classes too :)

I start my 6 month pre-sleeve program in 2 Days!! Woo Hoo!

Hey Everyone!

I am 26 Ive been struggling with my weight since I was in the 4th grade. Ive tryed every diet out there it seems like I'll loose 40 lbs then I'll gain the 40 back PLUS 10-15 more! I have been going through the Aetna process since December. First I started with a seminar and they discussed the three different weight lose surgeries. I was leaning towards the Vertical Sleeve. After my first appointment with the Surgeon Eric Lough at Southwest Bariatric surgeons in Ausitn TX (( BTW if anyone has had him and has already had the surgery Id love to discuss your process)) I decided that the Vertical sleeve would be the best for me!

I have already gone through all the required steps for aetna like: getting my 2 year weight history(barely had 2 years) going to a nutrironal and a exercise physiology consulatation(With jerry at SBS in Austin), 4 nutrion consultations (Shelley Madsen & Associates), & I Just finished the Psychological Assessment with Marilyn Ross (Austin).

I talked to my Advocacy today & shes getting everthing together to send to my insurance!!

I cant believe its already happening im super excited and hopefully I hear something back soon.

Hello Everyone,

I am a 30 year old man who has been obese since 4th grade. I basically ignored the problem for the first 25 years or so and the last 5 years have been a constant emotional struggle to against my weight pushing me all the way to severe depression. I tried multiple diets and got disheartened by failure stemming from my lack of self-control and the lack of a supportive environment (I live alone and have a high-stress job). Finally I decided that I need something more and having my VSG done. I had to go the self-pay route as my insurance does not cover this surgery. My hope is that this is the kick-start I need to actually get to a normal weight and feel normal for perhaps the first time in my adult life.

I hope to share my journey with you folks!

I am fifty years old, mother of a 32yr old married son, who has 3 daughters and one son. I had always been a skinny kid so as a result of swing shifts, meds and other issues I at 44yrs old was 280lbs. I couldn't walk well, my knee were bad then became worst from the weight. In 2009 i had lap-band surgery. i did well at first, but my evening working hours made it easy for me to eat non stop, OH my job is very stressful. At one point I could not get below 200lb. finally I did, my lowest weight was 185lbs that was two summers ago. I had my bilateral knee surgery then. I notice last Feb. that I had been having problems with burning in my chest while I was eating. My doctor order a upper GI test which showed esophageal inflammation which left a bad restriction, causing my esophagus to work harder. My doctor took out some Fluid and all was well no pain, throwing up and discomfort. This year I had another upper GI problem better but still there and now I have gain weight. I am 238lb in the wrong direction!!!!. So my doctor and I decided to do revision surgery from band to gastric sleeve. I will work harder at this, now that my back is killing me and I just found out that i have RA.

I'm Tonya. I just turned 44 on Saturday the 24th. I live in Lexington, KY and I love Kentucky basketball!! I have a 4 pound 13 year old yorkie named Bentley and a 4 year old silky named Tybee. I also have a Russian Blue cat named Hershel and an orange cat named Merle. If you haven't already figured it out, I LOVE The Walking Dead!

I had my first child when I was 27, about to turn 28 back in 1998. I then had two kids back to back. In January 2010 I had my daughter and 11 months and 15 days later I had my other son January 2011.

Last year I found out my step sister was abusing her kids and I now have permanent custody of the and am in the middle of adopting them. They are 2 and 4.

I've been married twice. Once to an abuser for 12 years and the last and only time was to my Prince Charming.

I hate snakes more than anything in the world.