Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m a 44 year old very girlie-girl mom of one precocious 8 year old daughter who is equally girlie. On my second marriage, married just this past September 2013 in Europe. Married my soulmate, hands down. I’ve been homeschooling our daughter since the third grade, she’s finishing the fourth grade now. We have a busy schedule and that’s the way we like it. Lots of travel and activities all the time. I have two degrees, one that includes as a registered nurse. I live with my Mom, a divorcee, while my husband is in Afghanistan. We are a retired Army family of 23 years and he is now a contractor overseas. I’ve been overweight ever since my parents divorced at the tender age of 9.

Just had my GS done three days ago Friday. The gas pain is PAINFUL and the nausea is beyond normal. I mean, I was nauseous all nine months with my baby girl and that was nothing in comparison to this. The sutures, five, are not bothersome in the least. Taking no pain meds.

I did this surgery for myself and myself only. My husband pleaded with me at first and turned the corner when I further explained it was not vanity but for health and that enough was enough being severely obese. When I teetered at 276 before our European wedding I crashed the weight down to 260 in a matter of weeks. Of course, it came back and was headed to the big 3-0-0. Could not, would not, should not allow that to happen. The science is there, insurance was there and the support to all those that love and support me followed and so I had the procedure done.

Three days post-op and i’m 262.4.

Miss Mac here, My name is Shirley. I share Danielle's love of history. Last year I too up the mantle of family genealogist and use that hobby to keep me out of trouble. My ancestry through a recent DNA investigation is ancient stone builder / Viking, which explains the red hair.

Because of Ancestry.com and is international records data base and family documentation, I have been able to document our descent through Mary Boleyn, the Bassanos and Laniers (royal court musicians), John Vassall (the builder of the Mayflower), John McCulloch (who harbored reformer John Knox at Barholm Castle), along with many others present at Jamestown, Salem, and Plymouth as well as Richard Morgan who sold land to two of George Washington's brothers - Lawrence and Samuel - and was in the first group of settlers to live across the Potomac in the Shenandoah Valley of West Virginia.

My McCullough ancestors met up with the Morgans in pioneer Kentucky after valiently fighting in the American Revolution and associated with Danielle Boone and fought in many of the battles to defend pioneer forts. Studying family history has given me a fresh purpose for life and perspective of whose shoulders we stand on. My sleeve will let me live long enough to keep at it and leave a full legacy for my grandchildren.

I think my favorite family story is that of Paul Revere's horse. I have a family cousin connection to the Larkin family who loaned Paul Revere a horse detained by the British and they kept the horse which was never returned to the family. That's my passion - genealogy.

Hello, Beth here, calling out from Alabama. I'm a 43 year old mother of one, who is a grown woman off with her own hubby now. I've replaced her with a cat, who I dote on just as much as I doted on her...lol. You will hear me talk a lot about my cat and my husband.

I haven't had my sleeve surgery yet. I'm on a 10 day liquid diet for pre-op. The big day is February 21st, 2014. I've been waiting for the last six months for this exciting time (insurance deems 6 month wait). I'm excited and nervous. My mother is flying up from Guatemala just to be here for this.

I'm hoping to really improve my life. I am disabled, with COPD and chronic back pain. I'm hoping with some of this weight gone, my pain will ease, not to mention just being healthier. I've kicked the cigarettes and though I need a bi-pap, I don't rely on my oxygen as much. I've lost 25 pounds pre-op so far.

I'm moving more, eating smarter and trying to get my husband to do the same, but he is ever so reluctant. I'll find a rant thread to discuss him in however. :)

Surely you are someone outside of your surgery and struggles with our weight. You have interests and dislikes and families- jobs and hobbies. And honestly- yes it is exciting to have this stool and to be on the journey- but hasn't there been enough focus all our lives on just our weight?

I know VST is dedicated to our VSG stories, but I sort of think that who we are makes our VSG surgeries that much more meaningful.

So I'll go first...

I'm Danielle. I'm 27 and I have three sisters and one nephew. I am unmarried and have no children. I work full time running the office for a respiratory company. This semester I am also attending college full time via online classes. I'm now also trying to squeeze in going to the gym three times a week.

I suffer from PCOS and had this surgery to help increase my chances of having a family of my own one day.

I am a TOTAL girly girl! I love the color pink, I like Hello Kitty the way others like Betty Boop or Tinkerbell, and I HATE HATE HATE spiders! I'm not much of an outdoorsie person- my idea of roughing it is five girls and one bathroom. That being said I do love to garden and can't wait for spring.

I love anything to do with 16th century european history and am a total fanatical nut when it comes to Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I. My favorite movie and book of allllllllll time is Gone With the Wind. I love watching old movies with my mom- our favorites are Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, anything with Doris Day and the Tammy movies. We also make a point of watching A League of Their Own together whenever it is on tv. I'm close with my Dad but sometimes I feel like we don't have anything in common.

Prior to surgery I loved home cooked food! (Along with chinese and pizza hut haha) I still enjoy cooking for my family (One sister, my parents and I all live together for economic reasons) and resumed cooking them meals within a few days of coming home from the hospital. I have a dog, she is a chihuahua/yorkie mix. Her name is Gypsy and well... she is sort of a monster!! I <3 her tho!

Now it's your turn!! Tell us who you are!

OMG! I love this!! I just want to read all of these and there are soooo many!

Hello All!

Let me first start by saying this is an awesome idea and I LOVE this site... totally cured my FB addiction.

My name is Joann and I am an RN and mom of a precious 3 year old son named Nate. I am 43 y/o so if you do the math you will figure out I had him at the ripe old age of 40 (I started late). His dad is 11 years younger than me.... Rrrrrarrrrrrrr but we are not married. My son told me "be nice to my dad" so I guess I need to try a little harder but most days I feel like I have a toddler and a teenager (the teen is harder to raise and messier!)

I have been a nurse for longer than I care to remember. I just was accepted to N.P school so I am super excited about that.

I have been heavy most of my life. I blame it on my Italian mom who is the best cook who ever lived.
I managed to yo yo diet and when I wasn't living under her roof was able to stay around a size 12-14.

My weight escalated to 241 lbs when pregnant. I was able to get down to 204 after the birth of my son... took me two years. I was placed on Lexapro for anxiety mostly and gained 45 lbs in 3 months. That was the pivotal moment I said I can't do this anymore.

I was sleeved a week ago and am feeling great.

I enjoy photography and have a pretty fancy camera (Canon 60D) that I really do not know how to operate but every once in a while I take some really great shots!

I have traveled a lot. I have lived in NYC, Boston, DC, San Fran, Santa Barbara, Honolulu and Ft.Lauderdale. I have been overseas at least 4x.

I live in Buffalo, NY now (my hometown). I am seriously considering a move when I am finished with NP School. Leaning toward TX because of the low cost of living, high salaries, no state taxes and great schools for Nate.

I love clothes and especially shoes. I converted my spare room into a dressing room which is absolutely amazing and have a ton of beautiful garments I cannot wait to be able to fit into again.

I have never been happier. This is the year of the horse which if you google that you will find out that it is the year of betterment of oneself. So if you are getting sleeved this year you made the right choice.... this is the year for radical transformations. I am happy to be here and am very grateful to have all of you available as resources. I wish you all the best of luck in your journey and pleased to get to know you all. Have a great week.

Joann

Do you know that beer commercial with the "Most interesting man in the world"? Well I'm his goofy cousin, "The most BORING man in the world".

I am 51, been married to the same woman for 30 years, no kids - therefore no grandkids. We have no parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles. My siblings are all busy with their own lives, kids and grandkids so that leaves me pretty much all alone with her. It's not been great but it's not been bad either. The bad thing is that not having any real family I am sort of the odd man out in nearly every group. We don't fit in with people our agee as they are celebrating their grandkids and families, people younger than us are still rasing their kids. There seems to be no room in anyones life for a middle aged childles couple. Well enough of this boring stuff. :(

I am 1+ year post-op and down about 170 pounds. I've started swimming about 10 months ago and it has really mad me a lot fitter than I have EVER been before in my life.

We like to ride our motorcycle in warm weather but the wifes arthritic hips keeps us close to home on the bike. We horse back ride a few times a year at a stable near Eureka Springs Arkansas. Oncein a while we go to a stage production at our local arts center. We mostly watch TV and doodle on the internet at sites like this. Maybe a movie every couple months.

Well that's me in a nutshell, sorry if I put you to sleep!

I really enjoy fitness but would never dare to don a swimsuit in public...maybe one day soon. I love to swim.

Wow, this is hard to talk about yourself. I was a police officer for ten years. I was always heavy but could still run and keep up with the p.t requirements. I lost my first wife and son in a dui accident and decided to change careers. I am now an electrical technician in a tire manufacturing plant. I am remarried and have three daughters. I ate my stress away and am now ready to kick this weight. I am having the gastric sleeve on Feb 7th and can't wait. I know that police officer to electrical tech is a huge jump but I went to college and have a degree in engineering. When I graduated I had a job at Texas Instruments but was laid off. I figured that policemen didn't get laid off so I thought what the heck. I just didn't have the stomach for the gore after my family was killed. It changed my outlook.

My heart goes out to you! I hope you are doing well post-op. I am sure you had a few guardian angels watching over you :) xx

What a GREAT idea! Thanks illgeturhairdid for suggesting it! I have to say though, for SO many years, my thoughts, no, my entire life has centered around "what can I do to get rid of some of this weight? I know I would be happier (healthier, more content, would love myself more, would feel better about myself, etc) if I was thinner"!

But anyway, here goes...... I am a 62 year old female, a wife of 42 years to Bill, mother to Katie, 37, Sarah 36, J.D. also 36 (NOT twins!) and Daniel 35. (Sarah will soon be 37 and Katie soon to be 38). I am also Grandma to Taylor, 17 tomorrow!, Alex 14, Ella 7, Tate 6 and Tyler 5. The kids, their spouses and the grandkids are the lights of my life and the joy of my heart!

I am a Labor and Delivery nurse of 42 years and still working. I am a travel nurse, which means I work for an agency that contracts me out, usually for periods of 13 weeks to various hospitals. I grew up and live in Iowa, but have been working contracts in California for the last 4-5 years. I HATE Iowa winters (it is freezing rain right now as I write this, the TV is already publishing the school closings for tomorrow!) which is one of the reasons I love to work in California.

I love to cook and bake (one of the reasons I ended up having a VSG!) and of course I used to love to sample what I made. My only regret in life is that I didn't understand how much I loved to cook and bake till about 10-15 years ago. If I had realized it in my 20's, I would have been a chef, not a nurse. My youngest son IS a chef, and he kindly teaches me lots of tips and tricks of the trade. So I do get to do some "chef" like cooking sometimes.

I love to read (Yeah Kindle!), cook/bake (already mentioned that one), travel (hench the Travel Nurse job), collect antiques (have a house full, am becoming VERY selective of what I buy these days!), decorate my house (am currently stripping the wallpaper in our bedroom. If I even mention wallpapering one of the rooms in our house again, please shoot me! I HATE TO STRIP WALLPAPER!!!), shop (that one gets me into trouble!), Entertain (hence the cooking/baking) and socialize with friends and family.

I had a total hip replacement when I was 48, and my doctor told me he was sure my weight at least contributed to my need for it. My joints (other hip and knees) have been painful for years now, and I was dreading the thought of more surgery, which seemed like it was going to need to be done SOON. I was plagued by fatigue from dragging 260 pounds around all the time. I was finding it difficult to go out in public anymore as I was ashamed of how I looked. My (Intimate) relationship with my husband had deteriorated due to the fact that I hated to have him see or touch me as I was so fat. In short, I was miserable! I hated my body and how I looked. I finally decided I HAD to do SOMETHING in order to feel better physically, and to feel better about myself!

My cousin IS a bariatric surgeon, and I went to see him for a consult. He offered to do my surgery for free, but I would still have to pay the hospital and anesthesia charges myself, as our insurance would not cover any of it. Since those two items would amount to almost $15,000-20,000, I decided to go to Mexico for the surgery. I cashed in one of my retirement 401Ks to pay for the procedure. I wanted it THAT badly! And I have to say, it is the best thing I have EVER done for myself!

I have lost 98 pounds so far and am within 10 pounds of my goal weight. I went from wearing a size 26/28 top and size 24 pants to size 12/14 tops and size 8 jeans/slacks! I love it! And I love the way I look now. I hate it that my skin is saggy and floppy, but in my Size 8 jeans, no one can tell!

When I had my surgery, I was working a contract in California. My husband flew out and went to Tijuana with me, and then came home, leaving me in CA. That was in June. The next time he saw me was the end of September, when I flew home for a week of vacation, He came to the airport to pick me up, I was waiting curb side with my luggage. Guess what? He drove right past me! He didn't recognize me standing there, and we have been married for 42 years! As he drove by, he thought he recognized the luggage, and stopped and backed up to see if it really was me!

I am now home, working a contract at a small county hospital in (cold and frozen) Iowa. (Did I mention I HATE winter in Iowa?) I am hoping to do a contract on the east coast, somewhere within commute distance of Washington, DC this spring, as I have never been there and want so badly to explore the Smithsonian, all the Memorials and Monuments, the historic places, etc.

To help in my Quest to get healthy and fit, I recently joined a fitness center near our home, and now I work out for an hour four days per week. I HATE it too! But I am DETERMINED that I will succeed. I will be healthy. I will not go into old age gracefully giving up doing the things that I want to do. I will work to be lean and fighting mean and HEALTHY! Since the surgery, I have been able to go off my arthritis medications, my blood pressure meds, my cholesterol meds and my allergy meds (who knows about that last one? I don't have ANY idea why my allergies would be better from loosing weight!) But I am saving big bucks not having to purchase all those meds, and I AM Healthier!

And I almost forgot, I LOVE PINK TOO!!!

I was a travel nurse for 6 years then I returned to my hometown to go back to school and got pregnant at 40! LOVED all my experiences. Lived in so many great cities. I just got accepted to NP school for Mental HealthNP. I am thinking of relocating to TX when I am done. Ever been there?

Just curious to know if you had your surgery and how it is goin? I have also done a consultation at Cleveland Clinic, and would like to hear from anyone who has had surgery there

I wish my surgery was complete by now but it was denied by my insurance company. I submitted my appeal yesterday. I should have a response in the next 30 - 40 days.

I continue to be impressed with the Cleveland Clinic of Florida. The staff has been accessible, understanding and helpful. Everything was a go until my insurance hiccup. I plan to move forward with the CCF once approved. Dr. Szomstein was very personable. Not your typical "I am surgeon, I am God".

I work with a woman who had the Gastic Bypass at Cleveland Clinic several years ago. She has had wonderful success and has moved on with her life with a healthy BMI. She has gotten herself certified to dive and seems quite happy. She never complains about her new lifestyle or dietary restrictions. To my knowledge she has suffered no complications and her diabetes is gone. Her mother also went to CCF for the gastric bypass procedure. Her results have not been quite so positive. She is about 30 years older than her daughter and not following Doc's orders when it comes to her diet. She has lost all of her hair. However, she too has lost an enormous amount of weight and no longer suffers from diabetes.

My brother had the Gastric Sleeve surgery in the fall in Buffalo N.Y. Less than two weeks ago he completed a 63 mile bike marathon. I look forward to my future.

I am sure I gave you more info than you needed. Good luck with your decision. I know how hard it is. I looked for a program closer to home and was not pleased. I am willing to travel to CCF for this surgery.

Patty

Hi Patty! I am from Buffalo.. was sleeved one week ago by Dr. Caruana. I have my fingers crossed for your appeal process!

Great thread!

My name is Jennifer, I am 36 and I am very happily married to the love of my life for 9 years. We have a 7 year old son who amazes me every day in his strength, independence, and humor (just like his dad!) I am an RN and I work the overnight shift on a medical/surgical floor and I LoVE my job. We also take care of the post op bariatric patients so I knew the surgeons quite well and how they took care if their patients immediately postop.

I love to travel the world (which I did a lot befor my son was born), I love to read, and I am a 100% jersey girl so I spend most if my summer down the shore :) Next year I hope to take a medical mission trip to Asia, and keep going in school towards my bachelors degree.

Hi Jennifer! I am a nurse as well. Used to work in NYC as a travel nurse and now back in Buffalo, NY my hometown. I just was accepted to SUNY Stony Brook for NP Program. Good luck in your journey to a healthier you and your educational pursuits!!

I'm 36 years old, an OR nurse and I just became an acute care nurse practitioner. I'm a single mom with a soon to be 16 year old special needs daughter. She is the reason I'm the person that I am, and I credit God for giving her to me. I live in Cypress, Tx (a suburb of Houston) and I own my home. The man of the house is a Schnauzer and he takes his job seriously, lol. I love to read and watch ID. Life is good, and it'll be even better after surgery.

OMG another nurse! So many of us on here! Congrats on completing your NP. I start my program for Mental Health NP in the fall and thinking of relocating to TX after. I was just on Trulia looking at homes in the suburbs of Houston. I hope you don't mind.. I am going to add you as a friend and may want to pick your brain a bit. I too am a single mom of a 3 year old (I'm 43.....started late).. I travel nursed for 6 years been almost every where but never TX. Hope to to chat with you more.

Joann

Hi there!

I'm 44 years old, single with two daughters.

Oldest 25 youngest just turned17.

My oldest has two boys 6 and 3. Yep, Im a Grandma!

I bought my home ( by myself) 3 years ago this July! I am a hardworking Nurse, I oversee two Assisted Living communities every day and every third weekend take care of the entire senior community on our campus. I consider myself girly, but I also LOVE the NFL. San Diego Chargers being my heart. I love second hand shopping with my girls and playing Wii with my grandsons. I also have a sweet silky baby, Pepper(4 year old silky terrier)

I have lost weight many times over the years, but some how it keeps finding me! But seriously,

I have no problems losing weight, it's keeping it off that's the major problem!! I'm greatful this surgery is here to help me out! I'm almost 2 months out and have lost 45 pounds, only 35 more to go!!! Woohoo. So wonderful to meet all you fellow Sleevers!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hello fellow nurse...so many of us on here! What's up with that?? LOL I'm going to add you as a friend.

Hey I'm Erica I'm 26 just had the sleeve done two weeks ago an I did it so I can live to see my beautiful 4 year old son grow up an be a strong healthy man..keep everyone posted on how I'm doing.

That is one of the main reasons I elected to go through with it. My son just turned 3. I am 43. So fat + old.... odds weren't in my favor. I feel great and I hope you do too!! I am one week post op. :D

Great plan....

My name is Kjarlune Rae and I am a 40 about to be 41 year old mother of 6 and grandmother of 2...Before you ask we adopted our son at an older age. So typically no I am not old enough to be a grandmother but I love being one. We have one child left at home. I am married to my twin soul who cherishes me and allows me to be the girl all the time.

I am a professional therapist and have been Canada's Top Clairvoyant for the last 20 or so years. I love the radio work I do, and I am in the midst of filming a TV show that is close to my heart but have no idea when it is coming out

I love my life. I am blessed and now have the need/desire to travel...

Yes I agree my weight has plagued me long enough.....

Nice to meet you all...

"If you want something you have never had. Then you must do something you have never done in order to get it."

OMG... can you predict how much I will lose by summer??? LOL Jk. Do you do over the phone readings?

My name is Kelly. I am 41 years young. I have two wonderful children. My son is 22 and travels the world as a self employeed welder. My baby is 19 and is a sophomore in college planning to become a cardiothoracic surgeon someday. I have two of the most gorgeous blonde haired blue eyed grandbabies in the world ( boy age 3 1/2 and girl age 2) who absolutely light up my life. I love my kids...dont get me wong... But i would have had grandbabies first if i would have only known I am currently living with my boyfriend of 2 years in his home that we just completely remodeled. Ive never known a more supportive, loving, kind, generous, man in my life. He has been a Godsend for me. I am a very blessed woman. I was previously hostage to an abusive relationship with an addict. It took many years and lots of leaving and coming back to finally break free but I praise God everyday for the strength to do so.

I have been a nurse for 20 years. I am the Region manager for a Long Term Care Program that serves elderly and disabled members to assist to keep them safely and cost effectively in their own home if possible. My history is primarily nursing home work. I love the geriatric population. I love nursing and the fact that my career choice allows me to help people. It is very rewarding.

My hobbies are of course spending every possible waking moment with the grandbabies, photography, travel, and messing in the flowers and plants. We have a 100+ acre cattle farm deep in the country. I love watching the calfs play in the pasture. I also love to cook which brings us to the issue with weight; which of course brings us all together on this site.

I have battled my weight all of my life. I was my thinnest the day my daughter was born but have gained steadily ever since. I am currently at 221 but my highest weight has been 240. I am 5'6". I am scheduled for the VSG in Memphis on next Monday the 27th. I am excited and a bit nervous too. Weve traveled to Florida for a week to help take my mind off the upcoming surgery and to keep me busy. (and what am i doing??? Laying on the beach reading about the surgery) I'm just ready to get down to being me again. I know that somewhere under all this excess weight is the slender me just waiting to come out. I look forward to following everyone's journey to success.

God Bless and Good Luck!!

I can't believe how many of us nurses are on here. I think there is a group for us somewhere on here. Anyway, pleased to meet you.