Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry After Surgery ... Anyone Else?

Seems like most of the posts I've read here say that there was virtually no hunger at first, so the restricted clear liquid and basic liquid diets for the next couple of weeks were relatively easy.

I'm have the exact opposite experience. My stomach is actually grumbling and is truly hungry. I'm going to continue following the post-op diet religiously, and won't introduce mushy then solid foods until I'm allowed. Still, I'm aware that my stomach seems to be begging for something solid.

Well off for some lemon jello-o... wink_smile.gif

My stomach did at lot of growling at the beginning but I think it is because it is healing not truly stomach hunger. Try some warm chicken or beef broth, it may help you feel better. I find that my brain is hungry, especialy when I go food shopping and see all the things that I would normally have bought, pre-op.(especially with the holidays). I look forward to everyone else making their resolutions tonight - so everyone will be dieting within the next few days! Also, I just keep reminding myself- "your clothes are getting bigger as you are getting smaller" and I am looking forward to being petite again, with a new wardrobe. Just remember to stay hydrated- and - happy New Years! (also my Dr allowed me to have 2 Calcium chews-which made me feel like I was getting a treat)

I have been hungry in this phase,too. I actually felt better when I started drinking more hot liquids be it Soup, warm milk, coffee or tea. Don't know why but I guess it feels more like real food.< /p>

I am 4 days post op and I feel like my stomach could already handle the pureed food stage. I feel hungry or maybe it's head hunger. Not sure if I just feel like chewing on something either. But I will say my stomach is sending out all the signals like it's hungry, it's growling and rumbling. I am trying so hard to stay on the liquid diet and follow the instructions. How do you get past this stage?

I definitely felt hunger a few days after surgery and felt much better when I added unflavoured Protein Powder to my broth. It seemed to give my tummy something to do.

I am 4 weeks out and have found that I sometimes feel hungry but it is acid reflux, Water makes it worse but if I chew a couple of tums it goes away.

Also I now find that I need to eat 6 small....haha....very small meals a day.

Ok i am feeling the same thing! I am 5 days out. I feel yucky today and nauseaus and i want to eat everthing but i do think it is my head. My doc showed me something cool after the surgery -i had him take pics . He said that the part of my stomach which regulates hunger and satiety physically doesnt work. It has scar tissue that stopped the blood supply. I have no idea why i would have scar tissue (no injury). He said that half of his patients have this issue. When i think back in my life i have only known two modes: so starving that i am nauseaus and my tummy grumbles and so full that i can barely breath. I think it has been related to my stomach. So , knowing all of that, i cant trust my body to tell me when i am hungry or not so i am following i structions to a "t and trusting the experience of my surgeon. It is helping to think of it that way. I dont think its worth the risk of a rupture to screw with the meal plans so hang in there!! Also i took real Soup (beef stew) and heated it up and then strained it and it was a hundred times better than broth. Just a thought!

I know for me its head hunger. I am having a really hard time with it right now, wanting to eat what others are eating and trying to be satisfied with my stupid liquids. But I know this time will pass, and that pretty soon I'll be able to eat some things I like again, after I've eaten my Protein first. I just keep thinking....in six weeks, I can be reasonable again....and now its less, a little more than 4 weeks . We will be within reason soon.

I think what is frustrating most for me, is that here I am, doing what I am supposed to do, on a ridiculously low amount of calories and walking 30-45 minutes per day and I am not losing hardly anything :( Its not fair.

Thanks everyone -- glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was beginning to worry that there was something not right with my procedure.

I definitely am experiencing real hunger and actual stomach grumbling (distinct and different from just the intensinal gurgling which I've had a LOT of!) I can tell because I feel hungry, and then it goes away when I drink something or eat Jello.

@LBM – did your doc actually allow milk right after surgery? I think mixing flavored Protein powder would help a lot, but I can’t have until week 2.

@SherylO – I agree the broth w/protein can be very satisfying. I don’t know what you’re using, but I got the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand. I got the one that is already flavored as chicken broth. It’s actually really good. Pricey, but I figure worth it right now.

@ countess – great idea on the beef broth!! I’ll give it try.

@RosieSweetie – my Gummy Vitamins are my little treat : )

@ LoserMama – hang in there. I know I noticed I had actually GAINED weight after the hospital stay (presumably all Water weigh from fluids being pushed via IV) I’m so proud of you for walking every day ... that’s fantastic! I’ve felt too weak but hope to start in the next day or so. Just keep it up...you WILL lose the weight!

Help on this! I'm on day 4 of Clear Liquids. Have stuck to it 100%. Hunger pangs that can be satisfied with the apple juice, unjury chick broth, etc. But I'm actually starting to feel very lightheaded. I'm going to ask the doc's office this tomorrow, but to all of you:

Did anyone drink a Protein drink made with milk during the first post-op week?

I thought if I made one and split it up throughout the day it would help.

In answer to your question, I had yogurt right away and milk around day 4. But I have no problem with dairy ... if you don't know whether you are lactose intolerant, wait a while to try. For me Greek yogurt has been a life saver; mix either vanilla or nonflavored powder into it. Stops the hunger strikes for me.

I am allowed skim milk as a clear Fluid so I could try it right away. I can do creamed Soups on day ten and had my first Decaf latte today.