Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst Foods You Can Eat With The Gastric Sleeve

2 1/2 weeks post-op and on mushies. I used to live on Peanut Butter, so I slipped a small amount into my blended chocolate Protein drink. I almost threw up, I was so nauseous. That's the only nausea I've had. Never again. Aaargh.

So funny, Peanut Butter has been one of my life-saver go-tos since sugery. I've been eating spoonfuls of it as a snack since early post-op, it's very soothing to my sleeve. And I didn't even like it that much pre-op. :D

I am only 17 days post op and have found that foods that didn't like me before surgery still don't like me. tuna gives me heartburn so bad I wish I was dead. I have tried cracker dust and bread in Soups and as long as I let them soak I care eat it. Most of the things that gave me heartburn before still do after so I stay away from them right now.

I can eat pretty much anything without fear of "dumping" except sometimes a lot of sugar will get me. Apple juice and Syrup are HUGE no-no's. I have to dilute the apple juice with Water about 50/50 before it's okay and syrup just kills me. Major shakes. It's weird because cupcakes and cake and Cookies and brownies all seem okay. I think it's because I don't eat much of any of those things (usually the amount of 1 cookie or the equivalent), but I can pile on the syrup and chug down the apple juice. I had apple juice and half of a pop tart once within an hour of one another and the next thing I know I couldn't even sit up. lol

The only other thing that bothers me is Peanut Butter. It sticks and kind of hurts unless it's spread pretty thin on toast or a cracker. It doesn't make me dump, though. It's for the best because Peanut Butter is my favorite food on the planet and I have no self-control with it. I can still eat bread and Pasta and all of that. I sort of wish I couldn't because those have always been a huge weakness of mine.

I use Splenda to sweeten my cream of wheat and greek yogurt (or sometimes I sweeten it with jam or honey), and I tolerate that just fine.

Sugar is no good for me so far. I haven't tried bread or Pasta yet. I LOVE TOFU and so does my sleeve! I have been a bit of a rebel and tried some spicy stuff a couple times (Spicy food is my passion. I would be DEVASTATED if I couldn't tolerate spicy food) so far so good. My sleeve does not like egg yolks. Egg whites are fine, but scrambled eggs set my sleeve on FIRE!mad2.gifI get very hot, and nauseous when I eat too much sugar. That's what happened to me with my cream of wheat, too much sugar. I'm ok with that, It will keep me from over indulging.

You might want to try making the Cream of Wheat with Water, and thin it with something like Rice Dream or almond milk. They're very good substitutes in cereals, though I don't care to drink them or use them in coffee. This will get around the lactose intolerance, if that's your problem, and they're a bit cheaper than the lactose-free dairy milks. This is supposed to be one of the best Phase II foods after Greek-style yogurt, so I hope you can enjoy it.

You might also try using only true artificial sweetener, too, to be safe - nothing like Splenda's half real brown sugar/half artificial sweetener. I'm only 2 weeks post-op but they really stressed to me how much of an irritant sugar is in the early weeks, so I wouldn't chance it. Good luck!

The really dense and drier Proteins give me the blues - canned tuna, baked or grilled chicken. Pasta is also really touch and go. I add a few, and I mean a FEW noodles in with my ground turkey Pasta Sauce (one of my favorite things). But, any more noodles than that and I am DUST!

frumpy' date=' that's so funny. I grew up in Ft Myers........... ............small world. Had my surgery in Naples by Dr Thomas Bass.[/quote']

I will be having my surgery with dr bass to! How are u doing?

I still can't eat chicken (6 weeks out). My staples are fish and eggs but on any given day they don't sit well. I find it odd that what I can eat one day I can't eat the next.

I don't know why but frozen yogurt makes me vomit like nothing else. I've tried it twice now. Never again!! (Bummer deal....I used to LOVE it)

I had a sushi roll with white rice that caused me to vomit violently within a very short time. I'm very careful to avoid rice now! Also, I had heard that people have a hard time with salads, so I had been avoiding them. But I finally tried one this past week and did just fine, so I'm relieved to be having salads again. (Sleeved 12/3)

i can no longer eat eggs' date=' having a hard time with fish, and nothing fried (yuck!) tastes have definetly changed. No problem with carbs though...[/quote']

My nutritionist says to try duck eggs, I know weird but was people who can't tolerate chicken eggs can normally tolerate duck.

i am almost 10 months out. i cannot eat most chicken, ice cream, most breads. those things will typically send me running to the bathroom. i eat a lot of greek yogurt and that includes the frozen variety. it tastes good and has a lot of Protein. early on i didn't have a desire for sweets. however, i do want sweets at times now, but i have a lot more control than pre-op. sometimes sugar will make my stomach hurt. good luck!

I can't handle pudding. Weird' date=' I know. I've tried different flavors, sugar-free, regular sugar, fat-free and regular fat. One bite and my stomach is pissed![/quote']

I'm the same way this does not work for me at all lol

Sent from my iPhone using VST

real eggs give me a problem, but the eggs from the carton (egg beaters) are not a problem. Some red meats are giving me a hassle too, but chicken and pork are fine...everybody is different.