Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unable To Exercise O:(

hi, i was never a big exercise person.

i am just 5 days post-op , but i just am lazy. i am walking around the house to get myself moving though quite a few times a day.

By the way, laziness has nothing to do with my recent WLS. Just being honest

I will push myself to do some walking and i maybe Leslie Sandson (msp) tapes that i have. (don't know how successful i'll be with the tapes)

Bottom line, i will follow my plan to a tee eating, listening to my sleeve etc.

I have always been overweight, and i must lose these 95 lbs. Thats not a question - but not doing that must exercise, how much will it hurt me not to exercise with my weight loss. i see all these people doing unbelievable daily work outs.

thanx kathy

DOS 12/15/11

kathy again,

forgot to mention the main reason i really don't really like to exercise - i broke my femur a few years back. After it was "fixed" my left leg was 1 1/2 in shorter than the right. i wear a lift in the left shoe, but its still not even to the right so i limp just alittle. i do plan on some swimming, i know that will be good.

Anyways, will a lack of running/exercising hurt my weight loss, or just slow it down?

Kathy

DOS 12/15/11

Not sure what you consider a lack of exercise, because as long as you're doing something - whatever it may be - then you're doing fine. In my opinion everyone should strive to do a little physical activity, like 30-45 minutes about 5-6 days per week. Just doing what you can without injuring yourself in the process will still burn more calories per day that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Not only that, you're going to raise your metabolism. The health benefits from doing some type of workout, such as regulating blood pressure, lifting your mood, etc., is worth doing them in itself.

Wishing you well on your journey!

i just feel that walking isn't really that much of an exercise. People do so much more. jogging and stuff like that, eliptacle (msp)

maybe i'm getting down on myself, and you're right as long as i do something, that will be beneficial. Just wish i could do more. i'm 58 yrs. YOUNG - not over the hill - just wanted to do more.

Also, how much will this delay my extra weight loss, i'm not running around etc. like many others.sad.png

thanx for your help - always luv you divakiss.gif

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

There are many exercises you can do right in your home sitting on your couch. Pick up some hand weights and one of those large rubber bands at Target and you can do a TON of stuff. Yoga and stretch are also ways you can get a workout in. Search the web for stationary exercises or band exercise.

There are always options for any person's situation. Cheap, too!

http://www.band-exercises.net/

Honestly, the only excerise I have done is walking. I started with just a few laps around my building while at work and built up to walking around the entire complex during my breaks. Just getting up and moving has increased my physical, emotional, and mental health in so many ways. Just feeling the sun on your face and breathing the fresh air can make you feel so good. Just find what works for you and go with it. Try not to over think it because it will become too much of a chore.

Also, please don't worry about exercising right now, you are only 5 days post op and you shouldn't be doing too much right now (just walking). Wait until your Doc releases you before you start exercing more aggresively. Don't worry, your doing great!

((HUGS)) Shell

i just feel that walking isn't really that much of an exercise. People do so much more. jogging and stuff like that, eliptacle (msp)

maybe i'm getting down on myself, and you're right as long as i do something, that will be beneficial. Just wish i could do more. i'm 58 yrs. YOUNG - not over the hill - just wanted to do more.

Also, how much will this delay my extra weight loss, i'm not running around etc. like many others.sad.png

thanx for your help - always luv you divakiss.gif

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

Ohh noo!!! Gurrll no getting down on yourself! You're on your way, but remember too you're barely 7 days post op. Honestly I really wasn't doing much more than walking at 7 days out. Right now is healing time, and most surgeons will tell you, walking right now is sufficient. However once you get healed up and ready to roll with your workouts, then you can start expanding. Have patience with yourself right now. BIG BIG HUGS!!

In fact give yourself a big pat on the back for doing something like WLS to live a whole new life!

There are many exercises you can do right in your home sitting on your couch. Pick up some hand weights and one of those large rubber bands at Target and you can do a TON of stuff. Yoga and stretch are also ways you can get a workout in. Search the web for stationary exercises or band exercise.

There are always options for any person's situation. Cheap, too!

http://www.band-exercises.net/

Great suggestions PdxMan, thanks! I would also like to add that, Kathy, when you start doing more, I've seen some pedals you can simply place on the floor using your chair for sitting. They were something around $50... not too bad IMO. Not when it comes to needing to have something around that will get your calories out!

I do much less "formal" exercise than many folks, but I still get in a fair share of activity. For example, I know it sounds odd, but I love to rake leaves. I put on my headphones and can get a nice little workout in about 30 minutes (and a nice yard too!). Also, rather than just walk, I always have a purpose. For example, I will walk to Trader Joe's to get some groceries or to the pet store for supplies. Not only do I get in a walk, but I burn a few extra calories on the way home with the extra weight from my purchases. Just some ideas for later when you're healed up and cleared to "get moving." smile.png

Another benefit of exercising while losing is it helps your skin retract. When I have lost a large amount of weight previously I exercised throughout. My skin retracted back much better than this time - although I am 8 years older, so that my be as much of a reason for the droopier skin this time. I haven't been doing much exercise this time around. Some elliptical, some walking and occasional Zumba classes.

Back when I worked out with a trainer, he was a fan of using your own body weight to exercise. For abs, his favorite was the plank. He also was a great fan of squats and lunges. If you don't know how to do these, look them up on the internet. You can do them while you have the TV on.

Good luck!

Wow ShellBear, PdxMan, IslandGirl,SKCUNNINGHAM & of course LilMissDivagrouphug.gif Thank you so much for your great responses - nobodies written me so much since my 3 little grand-kids sent a holiday cardthankyou.gif

focus.gif It sounds like i shouldn't feel so bad about the "just" walking situation. And the idea with the bands too.

I'll also try to not to be so hard on myself.smile.gif

All have a good night

your fellow sleever

kathy

DOS 12/5/11high5.gif

PdxMan I bookmarked the pages with the band exercises , they look especially goodthankyou.gif

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

Yes, a few years ago, post shoulder surgery, I was on a band exercise program and I was surprised at what a great workout it was. My heart rate was up and I was sweating!

Kathy, Before surgery, I really felt like I wouldn't be able to do much in the way of exercise. My docs all told me to go slowly and do what I felt like I could do. Right after surgery, I started walking by literally going a few feet at a time.

Even I am amazed at how far I've come. I couldn't walk from my front door to my car without being out of breath. I started out by walking up and down my hallway, then by walking around one end of my building, then around the whole building. Now I can walk 1.5 miles on the treadmill at 2.5 mph. Some of the hard core long timers are probably laughing at how slow that is, but I am proud of that. I've come a long way in just a few months...and I recently walked the entire length of the mall twice without feeling out of breath or needing to stop.

So, you can definitely improve your health very quickly with very little effort. As you recover further from your surgery, you will feel more like moving around. Just do as little or as much as you feel completely comfortable with and, before you know it, you're be considering a Couch to 5K running program, or zumba classes!

Good luck!! :)

Hi, let me tell you that I've lost 150+lbs in the past 2 years and I don't exercise to the extent of madness. I do it all naturally. . .for example, at work, they make us park 1/2 mile away from work so I am forced to walk that 1/2 mile every day. . .oh sure i could park right behind the building, but the cost of parking is $12/day. . . where I park now is only $2.50/day. . . ummmmm I'll walk! then at home i putter about doing this and that, I walk to mailbox which is way down a hill, so going is great, coming up not so great. . that's ok, every bit counts right. . . . but i wasn't going to the gym. . .so at 1 year out i noticed that i had lost all this weight, I thought great! I reached my doctors goal of 212lbs plus more. . . but then it stopped dead! No more weight loss. . actually gained a few lbs over the course of another year, not much (up and down between 15lbs) so wanting to get to my own personal goal of 170 lbs I am going to tighten the buckle and get to the damn gym this coming year. . . .yum I'm going to become a gym rat on the wheel of life. . . starting January 3rd I'm going to attempt 3x per week. . . not going to change my diet (cause I like it how it is now) just going to increase my exercise and see if i can't lose this extra 30lbs. . . .if I do, good for me, if not, well good for me. . . I'm not 350lbs anymore right? Good luck to you in all you do! Keep us posted of your progress!

I suspect you'll find that as you lose the weight you'll have more energy and exercise will seem more appealing. Remember, you don't have to be using equipment or hanging out at a gym. You may just turn on the radio and dance like a wild woman for 30 minutes!

This early out your main job is to let yourself heal, and walking is GREAT. As you continue losing weight, you want to make sure your body is burning fat and not muscle, and that's where exercise really helps. Muscle is going to help keep your metabolism high, which is so important in helping you reach goal, and to maintain long term! Try to keep an open mind about exercise, and look for things you can do to incorporate more movement into your day in a way that you enjoy.