Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

See's Candy...........big Mistake!

So, I'm still new to Sleeve eating and I took a big stumble last night...........

I should preface this by saying that I have been 99% compliant since day 1 (a cup of coffee and a few sips of wine account for the 1% !) Yesterday, I had my usual Protein Drink for Breakfast and some cottage cheese and cucumber for lunch. I wasn't very interested in dinner, but I was very interested in the box of See's candy that's been in our house since last week. I figured "No dinner, one piece of candy - what's the big deal?" .........Okay, one piece turned into three and I felt guilty, but it was just one (little) slip.

About 20 minutes later, my body went into full-on "sugar-shock." My heart started to pound, I got dizzy and weak, and broke out sweating profusely............. It was not good. I had to lie down for about 1/2 hour until the room stopped spinning. My stomach didn't hurt and I didn't throw up, but I never want to repeat that feeling again! I was a very big sugar eater before my sleeve and I've never reacted to it like that before. When I felt a little better, I sipped a Protein Drink, hoping to counter-act the damage.

I'll tell you, last night was enough to keep my fingers out of the candy box for the rest of the holidays!

I had something similar happen with a Reese's Peanut Butter cup. I thought I was going to faint. Bad feeling. It was effective though. I have not had one since!

Good to know!!! Being a 'chocoholic' I'm storing this information for later! (55 days, 19 hours and 34 minutes to go til surgery, but who's counting??)

You are not alone in the slip or the reaction!

I slipped last Friday and ate three small chocolates. Left to pick up my daughter from basketball and while in the middle school parking lot, got the worst abdominal pain of my life (and I've had 3 c-sections and the VSG)! Started sweating horribly, had the pain, I seriously thought I was going to die.

You can bet I won't eat chocolates again!!!

Thanks for the advise!

hey chicke, you had surgery last week right? this is 1rst i've seen you since you said something like surgery was a little harder than you expected, something like that. You're looking better today. laugh.png

Do you want to talk about stuff, tell us any experiences? Would love to hear. i'm post-op 12/15/11. Went pretty good. no shoulder pain, no gas, but very sore - totally compliant, liquids, Jello, popsicles - but haven't lost one ounce!!sad.png

sorry forum for "crashing" like this - hope i'm forgivensorry.gif

luck babigirlll & all of us

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

not there yet, but get ready to make a little room for me on losers benchsmile.png

I had something similar happen with a Reese's Peanut Butter cup. I thought I was going to faint. Bad feeling. It was effective though. I have not had one since!

unbelievable that you mentioned reese's Peanut Butter cup. my hubby was doing his work on the computer while i was on this site. he had a peanut butter cup. i wanted to die. not seeing anything is one thing, but when i saw that, i really wanted onesad.png i did know i wouldn't succumb, now after reading the above posts, i'm sure i won't eat candy. which by the way candy is a downfall of minesad.png Don't want to get sick, or feel flush and all that good stuff - thankx for the warningthankyou.gif

kathy

dos 12/15/11

I thought the Jello Temptations were sugarfree and when everyone was having desert, I took out one of those. They are NOT sugarfree, they are 100 calorie. My sleeve was not happy and let me know it. I felt like crap for the rest of the day and had to lie down, like you.

At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong and thought I was getting the flu. I called a friend who had the sleeve before me and she asked if I'd eaten sugar. That's when I figured out they weren't sugarfree.

I am glad you posted this, Mim. We just got See's candy from a client and if I were tempted, I'm certainly not now. I hated feeling like that.

Yup, I get that when I eat too much starches, especially pretezels. . . so I have to be really careful. Yesterday I was going through the liquor cabinet to see what i needed to go buy before next week. Well i came across some Irish Cream and guess what? It was only a little bit in the bottle so I figured i could just drink that and it would be one less bottle in there. . . it was only about 1/2 cup so i finished it and about 3 minutes later, there I went, sicker then a dog. . .sweating, palpations, nausea, etc. . sugar rush no doubt. . .don't think I will be adding any Irish Cream to the stock either! yuck!!!!

I have this happen to me everytime I try even the smallest piece of anything with sugar (even fruit sometimes). I have tried small pieces a few times since my surgery (almost 3 months ago). My philosophy going in was to live how I wanted to proceed so I do not follow a strict diet so to speak, I was going to let myself enjoy the occasional sweet treat, drink at a party etc. This is also coupled with working out each day. It works for me and I dont feel like I am missing anything.

Anyway what I was not expecting going into this was how bad the food with sugar and high fat content would make me feel. It is a real learning experience, now I look at these things and can take it or leave, my head no longer craves it.....bonus I guess.

I eat dark chocolate virtually daily without problems (I'm 6 weeks out), I think it's individual.

I really hope I can add sweets into my diet in the future. It's weird that this never happened to me with the Band. One of the reasons I didn't want bypass was the whole "dumping" issue. I want to indulge in a dessert once in a while! I think it must have been a combination of not eating dinner and having too much sugar after not eating it for two months.

However, it was a good reminder to me that I did this to be healthier, and eating chocolate for dinner was not the healthiest choice I could have made. blush2.gif

chocolate for dinner is a bad idea for sure, but I think a piece of chocolate (especially dark) every now and then is fine! I get sent tons of European goodies for Christmas from my family in the UK, and though I allow my husband to eat most of them, I refuse to completely avoid them.

I am down to 135 lbs too :D

On top of that, I don't avoid alcohol- they sent me some nice brandy and I have one glass of that a couple times a week with my husband. I'm of the opinion that so long as you enjoy the naughty stuff in moderation, it's good for your soul.

What got me to being obese was not having the ability to "moderate"- I'd go through an entire box of chocolates in a day, along with massive portions of everything else. I am happy I can no longer go nuts, but I don't really care to over indulge now, even if I could.