Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Days Post Op, How Much Walking?

Hey all. I was sleeved on the 12th and i'm wondering how much walking i should be doing?

I'm still sore and not really taking pain meds anymore. I'm getting up and walking at least 5 minutes every hour. Is this enough, not enough? I'm worried about blood clots and my dr didnt really tell me how much i should be walking every day.

All they said was at night when sleeping to get up every 4 hours and walk, but didnt even say how much walking to do then.

Also is it ok to take liquid Tylenol at this stage?

Thanks,

Amber

i was sleeved on the 15th. i also don't really take anymore pain meds. i was given liquid tylenol, just don't really use it. As far as you then taking the tylenol, sounds ok to me - but sorry, the basic stardard comment is check with your doctor at all times. sorry couldn't be more helpful

Amber - i wrote above, didn't mean to end post, i goofed.

i am confused that the dr. would actually tell you to wake up during the night every 4 hrs. that sounds pretty strange to me.

As far as walking goes, i do similar to what you're doing. I'll get up and walk around the house for a few minutes. Then just continually do throughout the day. the more the better. i've seen people talk about 5K, but they been around longer of course.

In my case like i said, i'm doing as much walking as possible, to "keep things moving down there!' Thats how the dr. puts it.smile.png keep on keepin' too. this extensive walking is the only exercise i am presently getting.

Someone else jump in - walking around is better than nothing ?

kathy

Amber,

I ws sleeved on the 13th. My instructions were similar to yours walk 5 mins every hour you are awake. I was not told to get up after 4 of sleeping though. My dr. also told me not to use a recliner and while sitting use your feet to push an imaginary gas pedal and brake pedals.

I am up and walking up and down steps quite frequently but when I get sore, I stop.

Good Luck

Amber, I'm on coumadin FOR blood clots. My surgeon didn't give me any guidelines for walking except "walk as much as you can".

However, at 5 weeks post-op I drove 3,000 miles for a trip to Kentucky and South Carolina. My pulmonary doc told me to stop and walk once every hour, even if all I did was walk around my car and get back inside it. So, I try to walk a little bit every hour, even now. His other guideline is that I MUST get 30 minutes of cardio exercise in every day, on top of the tiny walks every hour. It's not hard to do 30 minutes in spells. If I walk to the car for something, I walk around my building while I'm doing it. That takes two or three minutes. If I'm taking trash to the dumpster, then I walk the long way around. I also have access to a treadmill so I try to walk 30 minutes on that 3 times a week.

I don't know if that all lines up with what your doc wants, but it should be sufficient. BTW, even while I was on my trip, my pulmonologist did NOT require me to get up while I was sleeping to walk. That's an interesting instruction to me. Do you have blood clot problems already?

Good luck on your journey!! :)

I had a gradual system for walking after I got out of the hospital. I started out around 5 minutes every hour. Never had to wake up in the middle of the night, though. That sounds kind of odd. You'd think the doctor would want you to get your rest, at least during night hours. I'd never fall back asleep if I got up to walk around!

I'm now trying to do 10 minutes every hour. It's easy for work, since I'm on my feet all day anyways. I can get forgetful when at home, especially if I'm working on a project or reading a good story and lose track of time!

For some reason around my area, it's really hard to find liquid tylenol! I was told it was because there was a recall on some of it, but I'm not sure. I had to buy the children's tylenol. First time I took it, I felt so horrible. I think it's because since kids won't take medicine unless it's candy-flavored (I had the grape kind), the sugary Syrup did NOT sit well with my stomach. I think I was about a week out. Literally within 5 minutes of taking it, I got so hot (it felt like I walked into a sauna) and nauseous that I had to rush to the bathroom, lean over my sink, and keep cooling myself off with Water from the faucet. You probably wouldn't have the same adverse reaction, but I don't recommend children's liquid tylenol (I'm still scared to try it again to see if I'd fare better). I am not a medical professional by any means, however.

Its been 4 weeks now since my sleeve and i remember my dr telling me when i left the hospital that for the first two weeks my walking excersice should increase gradually. In the first week i walked every hour for 5 - 10 mins to get rid of gases. The second week i started walking for about 15 - 20 mins once a day. Now i walk 5 miles everyday. It will only get better and better :)

As for getting up from my sleep every four hours thats very strange never heard of it. In any case you really dont need to that.

Good luck and remember, it only gets better.

do what your body tells you, I thought I would be brave and try to go shopping with my mom at walmart.....it drained me nonod.gif My surgery was on the 8th, and I walk around the house, but when I was at the store I hurt so bad, came home took my pain med and went right to bed, but remember, everyone is different.

I didnt have specific orders but listening to your body is the best answer. If you can handle walking a mile or two a week without hurting, being tired, or being sore I think to go for it. I'm four days out and I just walked to our neighborhood store and I was hurting on the way back so I know that this is too much for me right now. I will stick to walking around the house for few more days then try the longer walks again. I'm going to do what my body allows to make sure I dont over do it and pull something.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I went ahead and emailed my Drs office and they said walk every 2 hours 5 minutes each time. And i did NOT need to wake up every 4 hours at night. DOH! I must have misunderstood the nurse at the hospital.

Also they said i could take tylenol in pill form so that helps.

Thanks again.

I was sleeved on the 7th, and I walked pretty well in the hospital, and the day I came home I did a bi of walking in my apartment, but I mostly slept to be honest. The day after that (4 days post) I took two walks which were a little under a mile each. I have increased it a bit each day, and am a little over 2 miles now...I think everyone moves at their own pace. Keep up the good work, and we are starting an awesome journey!!

I was sleeved on the 19th. My first big walk drained me. I stopped so many times and I had a time talking, trying to catch my breath. I believe it was the sun that realy drained me. Still determined to push through, I will try again in a couple of days. With each day it gets better and better.