Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Have Reflux (gerd Disease) Before The Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Had my consult with a sleeve surgeon and was told that I'm unlikely a candidate for the sleeve. I was so disappointed, I started crying right there in front of the doctor. He said there is a 5% chance someone who has NEVER had reflux will develop it after the sleeve. There is a 10% chance people with reflux that have no symptoms will develop reflux symptoms. Of course I HAVE symptoms, which increases the chance of getting reflux that cannot be controlled with drugs - I have been on an on/off regimen of Omeprazole and Pepcid for several years. He said getting the gastric bypass would completely cure the reflux and I could lose weight, so in essence - "kill 2 birds with one stone". I told him I couldn't wrap my head around bypass at this time. He agreed to re-visit the possibility of getting the sleeve after getting pathology from an endoscopy...

Anyone been in my situation and went ahead with Sleeve surgery?

PS - The doctor also said he had 2 patients just like me who insisted on getting the sleeve and he revised them to bypass 2 years later (they were already skinny for bypass surgery!) to cure the reflux because it had gotten so bad and could not be controlled with meds.

Please reply, thanks!

wow, well, this is interesting. Now I'm freaked out! I didn't get diagnosed with silent reflux until november, well after my initial consult. I told the PA last month that I started dexilant for reflux, that didn't raise any alarm bells for her. Hmm. Oh god, if I hear I can't have the surgery tomorrow....man. I'll keep you posted.

I would go bypass though instead if I had to. He had told me either was an option for me. I can't figure out what the difference would be however. did he tell you why bypass doesn't have this problem? I'm so curious.

I have it. I've had it for over 8 years. I'm taking rx zegerid. I was taking it in the morning before the surgery, but now I take it after dinner, before bed. I don't think I need this strong of a dose now. This is not scientific, but I think the same size pill in my new small stomache is over kill. I had not refilled my rx on time and replaced a Saturday night and Sunday night pill with 2 tums. I didn't suffer at all.

I've had severe reflux for at least 10 years. Even when I had my upper gi they noticed it quickly. However, that was never an issue that my surgeon addressed. I asked my surgeon about my reflux after my sleeve, to which she advised would be rough at first, then eventually subside. I'm close to two weeks post op and still on my reflux meds. I have not experienced any problems with my reflux at all. It's still early on, but I'm confidant that I will be ok. During pre op times, sometimes I would experience severe reflux even on my meds. Alot if times reflux comes from diet too. I would experience it more with greasy, fried foods and soda, which I am staying away from. So I feel like my sleeve has even helped me from reflux. Are you set on having this surgeon or would you consider a second opinion? I'm no dr, but I've just heard such positive things about the sleeve. I know I'm very happy.

You are going to be fine. I have GERD and my reflux is pretty bad. Is controlled now with Nexium. I still dealing with the gas and the belching but I am sure it will go away with the time. My surgeon wanted a RYN for me instead the sleeve and I convinced him that the sleeve wad for me :) I love the sleeve so dealing with a bit of reflux here and there is ok with me as long in controlled with meds. I suggest you to talk to gastroenterologist better than your surgeon,it's what I did and he said that my reflux won't go away but improves after any type of weight loss program or surgery :) Good luck!

I was diagnosed with bad GERD back in the 1990's - before PRilosec and Nexium were invented. Zantac didn't do anything for me. Finally, with a combination of old fashioned medications, severe dietary restrictions, no booze, no carbonated beverages and self hypnosis when I felt an attack coming on, I got it under control. I went on the PPI's when they came on the market and ultimately got it under control with them.

Since being sleeved, I have been taking Famotadine (Pepcid) - first morning and night, now just morning. I also have been taking Prilosec at night - but have just recently stopped it. I am not eating any of the foods that make it bad - greasy foods, overly spicy foods, popcorn, raw broccoli and cauliflower, carbonated drinks or booze. I'm doing fine.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's replies. I'm now hopeful that there are other sleevers who also had a moderate case of reflux that went ahead with surgery. I'm happy to hear that you all were able to control it with meds. I will go ahead and see the gastro and get the endoscopy to see what's happening. I went to this surgeon because there seems to be a shortage of surgeons versed in the sleeve on Long Island, NY. I could go to NYC and have Dr. Fielding, Dr. Ren or Dr. Curian do it at NYU also...