Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Thought I Was Out Of The Woods....

I did verything in power to avoid Hair loss

(taking Biotin everyday since 2 weeks post-op, using Nioxin, eating right.)

But I am at four months post op and the hair loss has really began. :-(

My weight loss had been great, and I eat at least 80 grams plus daily of protien and currently 1200-1600 cals a day.

I think the hair loss now is correlated to the first few months of rapid weight loss and really low calorie intake.

I am trying not to panic but my long blonde mane has been the one great thing I love about how I look (I have been chubby since birth)

Wondering if anyone else has cut their hair when it was falling out and does that help it but not weighing so much???

Any insight for this anxiety I am having would be great!!!

I have lost about 30% of my hair so far... At 11 months, it is still coming out, but a little slower thank goodness! My hair was waist length. I finally cut it, not all the way off, but in layers to help minimize the thinning look of the ends, and to include the tiny short hairs starting to grow back. It is what it is.... I have always valued my thick shiny hair too... when the body did not satisfy... The new cut was a lift, and after a few days of playing with it, and trying new conditioners and products, it looks really good. You will be fine, just let go and try some alternatives until you feel happy about it again.

This depresses me because my hair is an A-line cut to my chin and grows very, very slowly. If it starts to fall out, I can't really cut it; I won't be able to do much at all. Very depressing as I already hate my hair; it's super fine. No one can really confirm why this happens. I've dieted in the past to the extreme and never lost my hair.

I'm sorry that's happening to you.

Sleeve of Steel-- we are sleeve sisters I think.. I am four months out too and my hair is really falling out now too. I have very fine hair. i am not going to cut mine as i dont think it will make a difference. It is what it is. I had an inverted bob for a long time to hide my fat face. I decided to grow it out about this spring and it is just now on my shoulders in the front but not quite as long in the back because of the cut. Its starting to flip out all around. My stylist suggest that we just keep it trimmed to keep it looking good. I am not going to sweat it. I am wearing it straight and thin so I dont think it will be as noticable. I dont want to get a cut that requires a lot of styling product or heat or pulling as it might come out more. I also dont run my hands through it wet anymore! I try to leave it alone. Hard habit to break. Just hang in there, it gets better I hear.

The 4 month mark is where i noticed a lot of Hair loss too. My suggestion would be to keep up the Protein, take a multi with Iron in it, and continue the Biotin if you take it, to encourage the new Hair growth. I started taking the Biotin months before my surgery, and even though it didn't stop my hair loss, I am seeing tons of new growth coming in now. I did get my waist length hair cut to right below my shoulders. It was way over due anyway!! I don't know if anything has slowed it down or if it is doing it on its own, but I am not noticing near as much hair loss. In fact, mine may be back to normal now, unless I go through another loss later. I don't know if it helped, but I did start taking Silica after I noticed it coming out so bad. May be just the timing, and mine was about to slow down on its own. Either way, I am probably gonna continue getting in the protein, multi w/iron, Biotin and Silica til I am at least a yr out. I know it's worrisome, in fact, as prepared as I thought I was about this matter, I totally freaked out. It's quite scary. But the hair does grow back!!

:)

I'm 4 months as well and noticed it bad about 3 weeks ago. It seems to have slowed some as of yesterday or maybe I am just hopeful. I am on a feeding tube right now so I can't do the Biotin. I agree it must come from the early months because right now I am getting everything I need from the tube feedings but before this I couldn't get my Protein and some Vitamins made me sick. I did decide to cut my hair shorter and may get some layers in it too.

Sleeve of steel,

the Hair loss thing is the only down side to this surgery!

My hair started to go really fine a couple of years ago... I kept it long but it started to look really fine and to be honest, pathetic! Limp, lank and dowdy. I had it cut shorter a few years ago... and kept it around my shoulders and face. Since the sleeve, it has gotten worse, growing back a little but not to what it was. More recently I have had it cut really short. Tapered short at the back, heavy layers in the front and a part fringe. The difference is great! Although it is still fine and thin, it looks thicker, feels thicker and I now have a trendy hair do!

There can be an upside to it...?? =]

Thanks all I'm trying to stay positive.

I have always had extremely thick curly hair. I started to lose it at 2 months and it was scary at about 4 months. Handfuls each shower. It slowed back to maybe a dozen stands during daily showers at about 8 months. I finally got it cut at about 10 months. It is regrowing but everything about my hair has changed. The texture is different the calics are even different. I suggest you find a stylist you trust and talk to them. I am taking a supplement from GNC called B-beautiful. My stylist says that it is helping, but I am not seeing much change with my hair but my nails look good:)

to all .... I am just under 3 months since my VS surgery, and so far not much Hair loss at all (basically a few strands when I wash my hair, but I am attributing that to the weather change) ... I started using Wen Shampoo about 2 months prior to my surgery in September, and I don't know if it has helped or not, but so far, so good. Wen is a sulfate free shampoo, and is supposed to help strengthen and make your hair healthy ... so for anyone who might be interested, it seems to have so far worked for me. But then again, I don't know what will happen in the next few weeks/months w/my hair, so I will have to wait & see and keep you all informed if there is any change. Just thought I would share this info about Wen shampoo in case for any reason it helps w/hair loss ... I have thick curly hair, and am so hoping I don't start losing my hair ... I think I will be very upset (but am ready for it, since everyone seems to say it happens). I'm just happy I'm losing weight - down almost 50 lbs since Sept. 24th, so for that, I'm extremely thankful!

I am 2 1/2 months post op and have noticed my hair is shedding some. I started taking Biotin a couple of weeks ago and am now waiting to recieve my silica caps. It is really bothersome to see my hair shedding. Also read a blog about not using chemical products on our hair due to the possibility of damage. I need to dye my hair every 6 weeks otherwise My sides are gray. That will be lovely.. LOL Hang in there and do the best we can, at least we will have healthy bodies. Take care.