Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Not As Bad As I Thought

Hi everyone I had my surgery 12/7 and I am 4 days post-op and feeling better each day. The first night after surgery was ruff because I woke up with all sorts of drains and tubes and was still under the affects of the anesthesia. I was able to get up and do one lap around my floor. I had some dry heaving and vomiting but the nurses were quick in giving me meds that stopped it. The next morning I had to get up early to drink some nasty blue substance to check for leaks in my JP tube and then I had to go to radiology for the leak study and everything was clear. After the nurses removed my catheter I was able to do two laps on my own. It took me most of the days to be able to use the bathroom but I was able to concur that to and after a few more hours I was discharged. The worst part for me has been the gas, GasX has not really helped but walking and trying to drink warm liquids have. My stomach has been making the most incredible noises and sounds I have every heard. Today the gas has not been to bad but I have been walking at least 10 minutes each hour and sipping very slowly. Yesterday is when I started my full liquid post op diet and it took me 4 hours to finish 8 oz and that was all I could handle. I sip slowly on Water in between and do feel tightness if my sip is to big. Each day the soreness is better and I have a little more strength. I know this is going to be work and take time but so far so good. I got on the scale this morning have lost 8 lbs since surgery. I hope all my other December sleevers are doing well.

Sounds like you are progressing nicely. I am being sleeved tomorrow.

Skinny and Firm, Welcome to the loser's bench! It sounds like you're doing very well post-op! :)

Chunky- you'll have to change your name soon! hehe

Congrats to you! I'm glad to hear you are doing well after surgery! GasX was helpful to me. The hospital sent me home with a script for a chewable anti-gas medicine but I didn't fill it because my insurance didn't cover it as it is something purchasable over the counter. The pharmacist told me to take two of the gasx strips to equal one of the pills prescribed and that's what I did. Maybe taking them two at a time will help you more?

congrats on your surgery.. sounds like you are doing fabulous... i am getting sleeved tomorrow and its a little nerve racking but after reading your post i am hoping that it goes well for me too.. i normally recover quickly from surgeries, but this is different from my knees so i am hoping all goes well.. keep us updated on your progress! and good luck on your new found loses... he he he

congrats on your surgery.. sounds like you are doing fabulous... i am getting sleeved tomorrow and its a little nerve racking but after reading your post i am hoping that it goes well for me too.. i normally recover quickly from surgeries, but this is different from my knees so i am hoping all goes well.. keep us updated on your progress! and good luck on your new found loses... he he he

Good luck tomorrow!!

hey & way to go !!!!

i had my sleeve 12/6/11. I am at a 9 lb loss! I have been on Clear Liquids only and thought moving into week two i could add a Protein Shake (zero carb). called doctors, they want me to go for as long as i can into week two on clear liquid without Protein if i am doing /feeling fine and not hungry. Which gratefully, i am still not feeling hunger , just lots of distracting smells and sights of holiday tempting me which i have been easily able to set aside.