Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery - Things Aren't Getting Any Better

Thanks Lissa I sent a pm also but did not get response. Thanks for letting us know. Hugs to her we were all concerned.

Thanks for the update. 5DogMa and I have the same Dr and I am concerned for her.

This surgery was done in the states?

Btw. sleep apnea machine would explain alot of irritation and gas. I refuse to wear mine now cause of gas and also cause I hate it. Personally if I did use mine I dont think that I would use it for atleast 3 months post op. your taking a chance on complications happening from stretching to making a small leak to a bacterial infection due to forced air.

(null)

Wow, I am so impressed at what a supportive and loving family we have here on this board!

Kudos to Lissa and sandyd for reaching out to 5DogMa with good advice and well-intentioned pestering! heart.gif

Thanks for everyone's support!! I can go home tomorrow if I can prove I can drink enough to keep hydrated . I feel I've turned a corner and am better. Will write when I get home. Paula

Paula thank goodness. You are in the right place we all want you to be okay and that was scary. Rest to gain strength, then as you start to move you will feel better. I hope they also confirm what is causing your tightness.

Please do let us know how you are doing....

UX - we really are well intentioned. Personally, I only wanted to be a part of a community that was supportive and sometimes it means a little "urging" but definitely for the right reasons:)

Take care all

Glad to hear that Dogma is getting checked out!

Did this information come from your surgeon? I have been instructed to use my CPAP even when napping as we are at especially high risk due to the anesthia.

Btw. sleep apnea machine would explain alot of irritation and gas. I refuse to wear mine now cause of gas and also cause I hate it. Personally if I did use mine I dont think that I would use it for atleast 3 months post op. your taking a chance on complications happening from stretching to making a small leak to a bacterial infection due to forced air.

(null)

So glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!! I hope you were able to have that damn drain removed too!!

Thanks for the update, that sounded like some kind of rough recovery!! I hope you start feeling much better now that you are hydrated!!

:hug:

Glad things are looking up, best of luck and I hope they get things figured out!

Saying prayers that you recovery fully soon

Okay, I'm home. Feel like I've been to hell and back.

CT Scan and Upper GI show no blockage and the sleeve is perfect. Just swelling and irritation.

My simple conclusion - my CPAP irritated my esophagus and encouraged more gas and swelling. My acid reflux that I have pretty bad was not being treated because I couldn't swallow enough of the liquid Mylanta to do the job my Nexium usually does. These two things caused additional swelling and irritation that also resulted in spasms of my espohagus and stomach - that I'm still having. He's not sure what's really causing that but those things prevented me from drinking enough to keep me hydrated resulting in 2 nights in the hospital hooked up to and IV. I think they gave me 5-6 bags of fluids and 1 bag antibiotic and then my vein blew last night around 6 pm. YAY because that made them take it out and it was hurting like a you know what. The Fluid was just going into my arm that started to swell. Oh gee, that kinda hurt! When I was admitted hey put the IV in my right arm inside bend at the elbow that turned me into a lefty with only 1 arm. Could hardly pull up my panties! I had to keep my arm out straight because if I bent it the IV machine would go off because it was being blocked. What a pain!

I'm exhaused! Dr said stay on Clear liquids for a couple more days before I start trying Protein drinks. Gave me a perscription for an antiacid that desolves under your tongue. I can drink more now so something is better. They also pushed some kind of PPI in my IV 3 different times. I think they said Protonics? I haven't had my CPAP for 2 nights so maybe that has something to do with it?? They kept my bed a 45 degree angle since I didn't have my CPAP and my arm out straight because of the IV. Gee, do you think I got any sleep???? Add a Chatty Cathy room mate who has everything under the sun wrong with her and has to tell you every detail about her condition.

I am so glad to be home! I think I'll get better every day and I really think it was my untreated acid reflux and the CPAP that caused this. Oh, I did get my drain out when I went to the Dr on Monday YAY that feels so much better! I took a shower at 3 am this morning at the hospital YAY that felt good too!

Thanks for all your concerns and comments. You all are great!

So glad things are looking up for you. Just keep moving forward!