Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

46lbs Down And They Didn't Notice?

I've kept my vsg journey under wraps from a lot of people. I could probably count on one hand how many people I've told. My brother and sister in law were in the group of people who are not in the know. I'm close with my brother but not so much with my sister in law. It's not that we don't get along...we do...we just seem to be in two totally different worlds. Anyway, I've seen them a handful of times since I had my procedure and they never said anything. I kept thinking that maybe it was because my sweater was loose or maybe my pants were too loose fitting to tell. Today I saw my sister in law and I was feeling pretty good about myself. Well fitting jeans and a top that wasn't too big for me to hide in...still, she said nothing. There's no way she couldn't have noticed.....right?? I mean 47lbs...I feel like she's bound to have noticed a little bit! What in the world? Have any of you had this happen to you before? I know weight is a sensitive topic...but if it's a loss, why wouldn't someone jump to cheer them on? Weird.

Alot of people are affraid to say anything because of the yo-yo affect. mabye they dont want to pressure you about your weight loss. Im sure they noticed but know that your weight is a sensitive subject and are just waiting to say something until they know its a perminant thing. dont fret about it. you are doing great and soon everybody will be noticing. :)

I've lost over 60 pounds, but most people aren't commenting yet. I think that people who don't see us all that often really don't see the difference until the results start getting really dramatic. The folks who see me once or twice a month usually notice the difference immediately, but those who see me every day don't really notice and those who seldom see me don't really notice YET.

Also, since these people are family, there may be other issues at work. They may have noticed the loss, but don't want to say anything because it might jinx you on losing more. Or they are jealous and don't want to say anything because of that.

You just keep rocking your sleeve, girl, and don't let them affect your mood. You are doing a terrific job and the best revenge is when you make goal, and then maintain that goal. YOU get the better health. YOU get the satisfaction of making it to goal and YOU are the only one who counts! :)

Good luck and keep your chin up!! :)

I have gone from 262 to 192 and plenty of people have not noticed (or not commented)! Some say I look like half the person!! I do feel kind of sad when people don't notice but some people just don't notice weight at all. Try not to worry, keep doing what your doing!!! 46lbs is fantastic!

I've lost almost 75 lbs, and nobody except the people who know have commented. I definitely look different though, so I'm not sure if it is a politeness thing, like they don't want to accidentally say something rude because if they said "wow you look good" it could make someone wonder if they looked bad before, etc etc. It bugs me sometimes because I do work hard and at this point I wish it was more obvious, but I know eventually it will be impossible to ignore.

I also decided not to share photo's until I am much closer to my goal... I want the shock factor :D I have moved around a lot, so I have friends in my Facebook all over the country and in Canada... I can't wait to see their reactions when I post an "after" photo for the first time... I've only told a couple people so for the rest of them it will be a surprise!

Thank you ladies...so glad to hear I'm not alone in this. After reading your posts I'm almost convinced it must be a sensitivity issue. I'm with you sleeve of steel, I'm a little sad when people don't notice. BUT, I cant really complain since it was my decision to exclude them from my experiance. Since we've all had someone not say anything when we wished they would've, let me say to all of you, "YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! Your losses are something to be excited about and I'm so proud of you!" :-) lol

I hear you... it is weird! I have kept the news that I had this procedure VERY private. Only my husband knows. What is crazy is that there are people who literally cannot stop telling me how awesome I look and then there are people who don't seem to notice at all. It is one way or the other. My kids bus driver tells me every other day how awesome I look and that I am disappearing right in front of her... then I go to a family gathering with my brother and my SIL there and they say nothing at all to me... but my parents (at that same gathering) will be showering me with compliments of how amazing I look. So I know my brother and SIL hear the comments... yet nothing. No big deal. I think weight is a very sensitive issue for my SIL... she is overweight and has been most of her life. I, of all people, can totally understand how it feels to be insecure about weight. And my brother knows how uneasy weightloss talk makes her feel so he probably doesn't want to make a big deal out of it. Totally understandable! Just know that YOU are doing great... and they do see it even if they don't comment :)

I am one of those people that don't really notice weight loss/gain in other people.. There was a friend that lost 50 lbs and I truly didn't realize it.. but then again.. I really don't notice it when there is a gain either!

I have to ask my hubby whenever we are looking at my horses trying to figure out if they are gaining or losing weight. (We have to keep a grazing muzzle on 2 of them because of weight.)

My hubby lost 130 lbs doing it the weight watchers way. He would lose big amounts of weight and I just CAN'T see it.

I also would think some people are jealous of any weight loss that someone else has... I know I was always envious (sp) of my hubby.. not that I wasn't glad but always wished it was ME losing that weight!!

Heheheheh!!! NOW I AM!!!!

Rhonda

I totally understand this. Me and my mum both were sleeved within two weeks and she has lost 4.5 stone and I have lost 5.5 stone. We have not shared with many people and my aunt, my mums sister is one who does not know we see each other about once a month and she is the only one in our family who has not made a comment! I think she is jealous as she is still a larger lady and she can't bear to see us looking healthy and slimmer!

I really don't care much for her but I know it upsets My Mum that her own sister is not happy for her!

(null)

You are not alone. I was a little bummed when I hit the 50lbs lost mark, and not one person at work noticed. The funny thing was that the following week, my clothes started hanging off me, and I couldn't escape the comments. It would seem, at least where I work, that people don't notice until there is some sort of obvious visual clue (like having to pull your pants up every 2 steps). When I start to feel a little bummed, I try to remind myself that I'm the only one I have to impress, and I'm pretty happy with my progress thus far. smile.png

I agree - some people either don't see it or they don't want to offend you by pointing it out.

But wait - when you get down near goal weight, people who haven't seen you for a while will start asking if you are "sick" or have cancer or something.

You're doing great!!!

Wow, this has been so helpful to read. I have lost 52 pounds and went to a function recently where I saw people I had not seen for a long time and two of them said, "Have you had the surgery yet?" I was initially crushed until I had a good long talk with myself. Guess I did a version of slapping myself and saying "Snap out of it!" I know what the scale says. I know that I just cleaned out my closet and have gone from 24, 26 and 28 to 1x and 18. I know that I can bend over and tie my shoes. I know that my WL surgeon tells me that I have lost 35% of my excess weight. I know that I am off all diabetes meds and one BP med, etc. etc., etc.

I love what all the responders have said here. I needed to hear it also so I am very grateful for you putting up this post. It is so curious that the reactions can be so different. I know that there have been times when I did not say something when I thought folks had lost weight. Sometimes it feels like a personal, off-bounds kind of observation. Inherent in it is a comment that they were less than optimum before, which is not what I really think, but will they think that?

I recently started a Water aerobics class and I am always a few steps behind everybody else and looking at my neighbor. The instructor, who herself was once 230 pounds, reminds us all that this is our time and just concentrate on our own workout. I am trying to care less about the approval of others, but it is hard when we have done so much work and it appears that some folks have no clue.

I've lost over 50 lbs, and not many people have commented on my weight loss either. I suppose it's not a big deal, but it's always nice to hear that you're looking good!

I'm sure the weight loss is noticeable, but many people just don't want to be intrusive. Weight is a sensitive subject (especially for women, unfortunately), and maybe they don't want to risk being offensive.

Maybe they're all talking about how great we look behind our backs ;)

I will be 30+ pounds down at Christmas and I can guarantee you my sil and brother won't say a thing. Mind you that this the same two who said NOTHING to me after i had a total hysterectomy, remodeled a one story house to two stories, and walked in to my new house and did not utter a word. I know what their problem is...and it is eating them up from the inside out. Yours are probably suffering from the same thing.

Jealousy and envy.

I find everyones' posts interesting. I personnally hate it when anyone remarks on my weight, whether I gained weight or lost it, but particularly when I lose weight. It makes me very uncomfortable that people are paying that much attention to little (or big) ol' me. I especially hate it when other men, for example a boss, comments.I feel the only one who has a right to comment is the person I share my body with- my husband. So, I think others feel the same way I do. Since I do not want to make others feel uncomfortable,(I don't want people to think I want to intrude into their personal business, so I never comment about someone else's weight. If anything, I will only say, "you look nice today". (I didn't realize by me not commenting, someone would feel hurt or disappointed. I just try to treat others the way I would like to be treated. ) I thought it was bad manners to comment on personal issues, like weight. So I learned something new today!