Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Did You Go From The 'idea' To Booking Your Gastric Sleeve Surgery ?

I was just wondering how long it generally took people to decide to do the surgery from the time they started reading up about it and doing their research. It's only been a few weeks for me, I'm just pouring over message boards and blogs and trying to educate myself and choose a doctor. I'm in a funk right now because I'm thinking about how permanent this is. I'm afraid of complications (leaks, clots, infections & stents and being tube fed etc). I don't know if this is a phase. When I first heard of it I met some people who had gone through the surgery and they were so excited and I was excited and 100% sure I was going to do this. I'm not sure if the bad things I read are proportionate to the successes. Is this normal to feel confusion?

It took me a about a month for 2. I think that every one has a story and some a good and some are not so good. But you also have to think about your ife the way it is and the risks of being over weight. There is a risk to any and all surgery no matter how small it is. The best thing you can do is have faith that every thing will be ok. There is a reason you are looking into this surgery and those are the things you have to think about. I am 29 days post op have had very little trouble and for the most part feel great. I wish you the best of luck.

TLDR; Self pay in MX, took a few weeks from my first online inquiry to the surgery.

DETAILS: I could of waited for insurance but did not want to wait - I had a LOT of bariatric attributed issues. Someone here in my office took 8 months to get approved then operated on and they would NOT do the sleeve, she had a bypass.

I started researching in March and was sleeved Aug 30, 2011. So, I guess about 5 months. I'd have had it done sooner but I had some health issues and hospital stays in there.

If you're on the fence at all, let me tell you that it is SO worth it. This changed my life, and the lives of so many others. The rate of complications is very low. Do your research and choose a surgeon who makes you feel comfortable. That's the best advice I can offer.

Good luck on your journey!! :)

2.5 months from thinking about it to SLEEVED! I am 6 days post op & I FEEL FANTASTIC! My recovery has been a complete breeze. I know I made the right decision!

3 months from deciding to do it to surgery. Self-pay in Las Vegas (baby!).

The reason I did this was because of how permanent it is. When it comes to food, it is more powerful than myself. I had to take that power away from it and put it back in my hands. The sleeve has helped me do this.

Of course, there are possible complications with this surgery as there are with any surgery. Of course, do your research on the process, but more importantly, on the Dr, the clinic and the surgical team. That is what makes the difference. Your own preparation also counts, too. Are you willing to get into some form of shape prior to surgery to minimize complications and speed recovery?

Well thanks for your replies, it makes me feel better to know you all didn't wait years or something because I was worried I was rushing it by taking a few months (I'll probably do this is February or close to)

I think once I choose a surgeon I will feel a lot better. Right now it's really what is concerning me. So many choices. Mexico is looking high on the list, as I would have to travel anyways and I've never been there so that would be kind of neat, maybe do a bit of a trip before hand and stay in San Diego for a few days. I'm thinking physically my body is pretty good at recovering from a surgery, but I'm kind of concerned about it being botched or freak accidents, so choosing a good surgeon is so important. I've been on other boards and people are fighting and slinging mud back and forth about doctors and I don't know who to trust, it's brutal. I'm seeing a few names that stand out and interest me but I've talked to two coordinators here where I live and both are like "those are paid people trying to drum up business" then I think, well what about you, are you doing the same thing? How can I trust a doctor when I'm told all the bad things get deleted off sites, and there are fake people posting glowing reviews. You know what I mean? I am going to see my family doctor and will ask him if he has any patients that have had successful surgeries. AND what kind of care I can expect here at home if complications arise, as in, do we have any kind doctors who can fix leaks or any other scary things that could happen. That would probably alleviate my fears quite a bit if I knew I could be helped properly here, IF I had a complication. I am probably a good candidate as I am still quite young, BMI in 30's and no co morbidity. I have also tolerated surgeries very well in the past (I've had plastic surgery and a few other kinds not related to WLS).

I started researching in early spring. Then decided by June that I wanted to have this done. From there, it took a while for me to find a surgeon I thought was a good fit. Once that decision was made, it was literally 6 weeks until I was sleeved! I was a self-pay which sped up the process.

Good luck!

I saw my orthopedic surgeon in June 2009. Started wls classes through Kaiser in January 2010. And had my sleeve done August 2010. Had plenty of time to think, pray, research :)

i found out about the sleeve on may 22nd at a seminar for the lap band. i decided to have it as soon as i heard about it. i did my research, but i knew i wanted it right away. i got approved for surgery the end of july and i got my sleeve on august 16th. so happy i did too!

A year. But I had a low BMI so felt guilty about doing it when there were so many others fatter than me and getting time off of work was hard. Once I accepted that it was ok to have a "cosmetic" surgery I went ahead. I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome I look and feel. I'm rarely hungry and finally food and hunger don't run my life.

Thanks for answering my question everyone. I think even having people tell me their stories has made me feel a lot better. I think I was just going through a 'complication freak out' period. I also think I have chosen the doctor I want to do the surgery! So I feel so much better now.

I do not have insurance. If it wasn't for the $'s I would be on my way to Mexico 3 months ago. I have been researching it for sometime. I am almost there. Passport, airfare most of the cost of surgery ..........

CAN NOT WAIT!! :)