Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Weak - Please Help!

I was sleeved on 11/18 with extraordinarily great recoup time. Initially, I had more engergy - lost 15 pounds on pre-op diet and another 5 since surgery. I am on liquids - 3 Protein Shakes a day with 80g of Protein which I do consume daily. I also drink 64oz of total liquids. The challenge is the past couple of days I've gone from having plenty of energy to having close to none. I have taken long naps and can hardly do anything. I've now become a couch potato! I do get in my walks, but they are more difficult now. I'm concerned about how I'm going to be able to work effectively.

Please help by telling me if you experienced this too and how long was it until you regained your energy. Thank you!

hi Veda - I'm so sorry you're feeling weak. :sorry: My goodness you're able to accomplish things that i've heard are hard. Getting all your H20 and Protein in and even starting towards a marathon :youcandothis: But you are allowed to be tired, taking naps etc. You're doing everything right - I think time will make you better - one day at a time right?

You're surgery being only a couple of weeks ago (11/18/11) get off your back. You will feel better soon. Keep doing what you are doing - and being a bit of a couch potato :behindsofa: is totally allowed after what you've been through. Think of the great things ahead that are coming up.- don't worry about being tired now - you''ll get past this. If everything else is going well, don't sweat the small stuff :welldone2: take care

P.S. I haven't even had my surgery yet, but this is consolidated stuff i've heard, I hope it was ok that i gave my 2 cents before surgery.

sending good wishes toward you

kathy

DOS 12/6/11

Hi. I am not an expert and I have not had surgery yet. I went to my dietician and she said I should take sublingual Vitamin B-12 after the surgery because it would help energy wise. I hope this suggestion might be useful, but I would definitely call the Dr. Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon!

Keep in mind you're barely 10 days out from surgery. I felt pretty good at that point, but definitely still was resting when I needed to. The B12 is also a good idea - my plan only requires one sublingual B12 weekly, but I know other people take it daily or even get injections to help with energy. Hang in there, sounds like you're doing great overall!

In addition to B-12 be sure you are taking your Multi-Vitamin and an Iron supplement. The iron and B-12 both can zap energy when low. All that being said, when you are at a large calorie deficit and dropping pounds quickly you are going to be tired especially as you recovery from surgery. I think I had daily naps for the first month post-op. Take care!

Amanda

At 10 days out I felt so tired too. This lasted until I was about 1 month out, then its all up hill from there! You are totally normal!

I've gone from having plenty of energy to having close to none.

I would call the nurse at yours surgeons office. It might be normal but since you HAD energy and it plummeted, I would ring them.

Also, I take Multivitamins, Calcium, Iron, anti-oxidant & potassium daily. I just bought my b-12 today. What do you take?

You are doing all of the right things - getting in your Protein and your liquids. The suggestions for vitamis, Iron and B12 are all good ones. Also, forcing yourself to get up and walk is the right thing to do - keep your system working well to get up and walk. In addition to the things mentioned in other posts, you could just be taking some time for the effects of the anasthesia to leave your system. I know it normally takes a couple of weeks and maybe a little longer than that for me to recover fully from anasthesia. I fall asleep at random times throughout the day until it is totally gone. If you add in the Iron and b12 and still aren't feeling better in a week, call the surgeon and or your PCP.

I buy a good sublingual Iron at Walmart - the brand is Nature's Bounty. I buy my chewable Iron online from Bariatric Advantabe - my favorite is Lemon-Lime flavored. They also make a strawberry one, but I like LL better. I take my Multivitamin and B12 in the morning along with Calcium, and my iron and Vitamin C (chewable from WalMart) in the evening. Iron is absorbed best with Vitamin C, and shouldn't be taken within an hour or two of taking calcium.

I was sleeved 9 weeks ago. The first 3 weeks I had quite a bit of fatigue. I allowed myself to rest, you are recovering after all. I went backto work on the 3rd week which was tough. About the 4th week my energy levels started to raise and things started to normalise.

Now I still get a bit of fatigue if I am not eatting correctly.

I think this is just normal part of recovery, however as others have stated, if you are concerned speak to your doctor.

Remember, you just had major surgery. Not only that but you DRASTICALLY changed the way you are eating, cutting off the carbs, the real food, all that will lead to being weak. The first several months as my body adjusted and the weight loss was the most drastic I was very weak. Over the last couple of months (I'm 9 months post op) my energy and strength has started to return.

Oh my gosh, you are all wonderful to respond with such encouragement!

The Vitamins my surgeon insists that his patients take do not agree with me at all. I just took another type tonight and already feel better. I think I minimized the importance of them, which I should have started a few days ago and then they made me sick so I quit 'em. I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow so I should have all the Vitamins and supplements I need by tomorrow night when I discuss making the change to new ones.

Thanks a million for your replies! If you know anyone who wants some unopened Bariatric Advantage Protein powder and chewable Iron, let me know and I will give them away - I'll even pay the shipping!