Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Gastric Sleeve Op..why Am I Hungry?

I was looking forward to no tfeeling hungry like so many describes. I was also looking to not having a craving for food but right now all I keep thinkingbout is rice and beans.Ive' been drinking and eating Soup but it ain't doing nothing for me.I did look at my xray of my new stomach and it is smaller but boy oh boy does my appetite say something different. I feel a little heartburn and a little gas pain but I dont feel full like i thought I would. Ok what the hell? I want my food cravings to go bye-bye why are they still here?

it does get better. i think our minds have to play catch up with our tummy. im a little over a week out and it is just now getting to where i am not hungry as bad. I have started adding thicker liquids like pureed bean Soup to my diet and that helps so much. i dont get hungry again for about 5 hours and i drink Water the entire time in between so something is always in my stomach. the cravings however, are still here. but i do a chew it up spit it out routine when i really feel like i have to taste something. the craving goes away instantly. It will get easier. just hang in there!

MsLady, Are you on an acid reducer yet? The gas can make it seem like you are hungry, and you may be having "head hunger". Your body still expects to eat at certain times and your head says "Hey, where's the food?"

IIRC, you didn't have a pre-op diet, right? That may make the head hunger more intense for you.

Good luck!! I know you're gonna rock that sleeve!!

I am 1 week post op and have "felt" hungry maybe 3 times. I have to FORCE myself to eat/drink something. I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to eat. I am getting in about 32 oz every day between Water, broth, Soup, Protein Drink etc. Not that i'm not happy don't get me wrong but it just seems like so weird to not eat.....

Maybe once I get back to work and get on a schedule like may others reccomend it will be different. but for now.. I feel like i'm consuming for strength alone....and healing from the actual surgery..

Oh, I felt like I was starving on my post-op liquid diet. It's the "head hunger" messing with us. The cravings do get better once you can physically eat actual food again. I was sooo happy when I could eat mushies and then real food once again. It might not just be head hunger- we're so limited on calories at first post-op that there's likely some physical hunger mixed in with that.

It does get better, I promise. PPI's also seem to help many people here with their physical hunger. It's the head hunger that's the hardest to cope with. We lived our lives eating so much food, that it's difficult to reset our minds to our new eating habits.

I get hungry too so I just sip sip sip all day long, especially my Protein Shakes. That might go away once we can eat more solid foods. I always reach my Protein goal of 71 grams or I would be really hungry. I drink homemade seasoned broths for variety, but it's the protein that keeps me "neutral" (neither full nor hungry). :-)

Ok guys...quick update! So it wasnt head hunger or none of that. I was feeling hungry because of the acid in my sthomach. Spoke with my doc and he said that the stomach is still producing a lot of acid. Having a stomach full of acid gives u the feeling of having an empty stomach. He said that I needed to take my nexium in the am of course on an empty stomach ...then another nexium 2 hrs before bed. This will help to reduce the acid in my stomach and the hunger pain should go away. Well lo and behold... I did it for one night and it made a differnce. I no it will get better. I was not starving all day...go figure. My surgeon is the bomb diggity... so pass the word on to others who may be having the same issues.

I'm glad you found the answer. I went through the same thing until PPI's did it for me too! I was so frustrated when people told me it was head hunger when I KNEW it was in my stomach! lol