Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Not Have Any Issues After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

I want to start by saying fisrt of all that I am very grateful for what I am about to report. I had my Surgery on 11/21/11, so I am 4 Days Pot-op. I have not had any nausea or heartburn. I have had a little gas (burps) but that is it. Yesterday was my first day home from the hospital and I was able to sip sip sip on about 45 oz of Water all day and I got in 69 grams of Protein with proetin shakes. I have just read over and over again that is is really hard when first out of surgery to get your requirements in. Although today an will aim to drink more water, I was just wondering how many others there are out there like me who didn't have any problems. Do I have anything to be worried about? I did follow the pre-op diet to a "T" and didn't cheat once! So I am attributting it to that and a positive attitude. Like I said I am thankful, and excited to officially begin my journey.

Surgery 11/21/11 4 Days Post-Op 22 lbs Lost since per-op diet!

Lol I just posted something similar. I had surgery on the 16th and "only" had a bad episode of nausea/heaving etc for 45 minutes at the hospital. After that it has been easy peasy. On my 6th day post op (today is 8th), I got to my highest of 107 grams of protein/ 71 ounces of fluids PLUS 1/2 Jello, 1 popsicle & 2 ounces of pureed fruit! GULP!!!!!!

I did not have a pre-op diet, but I do have a positive attitude. I am attributing it to good luck or...... not being normal. :blush2: LOL

I am thankful too! Best wishes on your journey!

I didn't have any issues except that it took me a couple of days to figure out what "full" felt like for me. I must say that I've had a relatively easy post-op journey. :)

Good luck on your journey!! :)

I had some pain but part of that was from a car accident i was in the day before leaving. Other than that it's been smoooooooth sailing!

First and foremost, congratulations on your new sleeve!!

I was sleeved on April 4, and I didn't have any issues at all. I was a little concerned at first, because I just figured that I was going to have some kind of problem, but I didn't. I will say that the first night home from the hospital was difficult, only because I came home with a drain, and of course, I had the standard post surgery pain. I couldn't get comfortable at all. I also had a problem because I took a pain pill on an empty stomach, and I was so nauseated, I broke out in sweats. But other than that, it was smooth sailing. So I counted my blessings that I really didn't have any problems at all. So relax, and just concentrate on healing, and starting your new life.

Annette

I woke up with some nausea but no pain, no gas and felt awesome. I don't drink enough Water but that's because I don't try hard enough to remember not because it won't go down. I have felt very blessed to have no complications or problems whatsoever.

I too have no problems sipping, I can actually take normal size drinks...and no nausea.

I was sleeved on Nov. 14....so I am still on liquids. But I do wonder if my sleeve was made small enough. The only thing I notice is that if I drink a little too fast, i get a tight feeling. But it goes away.

I'm with Lily-At first I thought "I've been duped-they must not have taken enough" but now, 10 days out I am starting to be able to tell when it's time to stop, drinking or eating.

Let me say how glad I am to see this post. When I was getting ready for surgery all the posts were about how awful things were going, all the problems. It really scared me.

Then when I didn't need pain meds, didn't have severe gas, only minor nausea and overall felt felt, I thought something was wrong!!

I hope other pre-ops find this thread and see that there are a lot of us out there who come through this with relatively little difficulty.

Not even 2 weeks out and I don't feel like I've even had surgery. Other than being limited in what I eat (still on full liquids) and how much (usually 1/4 cup) everything else is back to normal.

Although I feel pain on the right side still on wk four and was catious n did a lot of testing thank goodness I've really had no issues post surgery. Of course a little vomiting n some eating n diet obstacles but that's how we learn I guess.

I am 4 weeks post op and had no complications, very little pain, was able to go back to work in just a few days, have been eating normal foods for 2 weeks, can eat anything I want with no change of taste (though some things arent quite as yummy and satisfying as I remember) and have never had any nausea or vomiting. Always got enough Protein which my NUT says is the reason I felt so great.

Only issue is I wish I could drink more Water but it appears I am able to take larger drinks just lately - I probably am hydrated enough - but I personally like to drink more water than I have been able to. I feel very blessed that it has been so easy and feel badly for everyone who has trouble of any kind after the surgery. I do not think it is abnormal to be problem free after surgery, I just think we don't post about it as much as people with problems who are seeking answers. That is why you see mostly complications and problem posts.

Glad you are doing so well!

I didn't have any issues except trying to get the Water in--cold made my stomach spasm, room temp tasted icky, and hot never stayed hot long enough for me to get it all in. Fortunately, that only lasted a week or two and was my only problem other than trying not to heave after Vitamins and Calcium, which resolved at about six weeks. You will continue to do great I'm sure!

I am almost 9 weeks out now and had a pretty easy recovery.

No pain killers after I left the hospital not even panadol, very little gas (I expected more), there was a little issue getting cold Water down, but as people have said above room temperature and I also found if I put some sugar free cordial into it, it went down way easier.

The hardest part about this has been the emotional changes that I have had to make, ie recognising when I have eatten too much, the initial fatigue as my body adjusted to a change in intake.

I have actually been shocked I have not had to take a pain killer for any reason for 9 weeks now, pre-op it felt like I was always taking them for some ache or pain.

I am 3.5 months out and I have zero issues! Happy as a clam. (I of course felt like a bus hit me the first 3 days after due to the trauma of surgery) but thats it!!!! Best thing I have ever done for myself