Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone Chime In / Respond Please

Hi. I'm new,had my sleeve almost two weeks ago and I have posted a few things butnever get a response. I'm looking for someone who's around my age or so (43). Who has had the surgery. I want a buddy that I can talk to. My big question is why do I get nauseated when I drink something that's sweet. I am on non sweets but had a sm bite of my daughtersicecream an I got sick. Low fat yogurt did it to. Maybe it is lactose. Anyway I am worried I'm going to b the failed patient. My work knows I had the surgery an if I fail they will know. I am down 14 ponds since my preop diet an surgery. I started out at 240 an now 226. Anyone want to chime in?

I just had my surgery on Nov. 16 and I am new at all of this. It is all overwhelming this first week. Sorry I can not answer your question for you but I would be available to chat and maybe you can give me some pointers! :)

Talk to you soon,

Traci

I was sleeved three wks ago. I'm in my early 30's. I started with 255 and today I'm 228. I too get a naseous feeling and headache with sweet things, even my Vitamin chewables. I switched to lactaid n it's good. I also go with gluten free things Now. A lot of people mentioned what u r saying regarding sweet things n taste buds changing. It supposedly passes eventually.

Hi Sushe, welcome to VST. I'm sorry no one responded previously! Usually all posts get some type of response.

I am close to your age, I'm turning 38 in a few weeks, so maybe I can help some.

I used to get nauseated a lot early out from surgery too, especially if the drink was too sweet tasting or too strong. Some of us get overpowering taste buds. It didn't last long for me, about 2 months at the most I believe. Also, I do get serious issues when I eat real sugar. It literally makes me very bad sick. I never eat more than 15g in one sitting. If I do, I will get dizzy, near blackouts, headache, bad nausea then need to visit the bathroom if you know what I mean. This is more common than most believe with the sleeve. I don't know the statistics, but I"m one of them. You probably should stay away from sugar as much as possible, especially right now while you are healing. And yes, I get the same from dairy products... though not any in awhile.

Don't worry that you won't fail, UNLESS you don't intend to follow the sleevers rules. If you do all the right things, you WILL be successful. That simple!!

HTH

Sugar makes me feel sick too. I still can only eat very small amounts at ten months out. I pretty much stick to Water to drink. Hopefully you will feel better soon. I think your weight loss is looking great. Everyone loses at their own pace, so don't stress too much. I have never been successful at losing weight and keeping it off until now. You will get there, just be patient.

Hello My name Chrissy I am 43 till Jan. lol. I have not had my surgery yet, I go Dec 10 for mine. I am patiently waiting. I am 240 lbs 5'2" I quit smoking 4 1/2 yrs ago and put on 70 lbs. I have been waiting to fine someone about my age and size to follow, just to compare to see how I am doing. I read all these successful stories and wonder if I will loose like them or just loose a little. I hate to spend all this money for a little weight loss. Im sorry I dont have any answers for you, I think give it a little more time, I have also heard that your tast change some of the things you loved being heavy, you may not like them any more and the things you didnt like you may like now.Good luck

I'm not your age but I was close to your starting weight. I always enjoyed seeing people around my starting stats and their progress. Maybe you'll feel the same. I'm almost 5'2" and started at 242 pounds. Now I'm 16.5 months out and down to 138 pounds.

I have a reaction post op to both lactose (I'm highly intolerant now) and artificial sweeteners. What I would do is pull one of those from your diet for a few meals and see how you react. For me, it was immediately clear what was causing the problem. If you're having trouble even with things like Crystal Light, the issue is clearly the sweeteners. If you suspect it's lactose intolerance, try swapping out for soy milk or rice milk for a day and see how it goes. The big offenders with lactose intolerance are milk (even Lactaid, in my case), yogurt and cottage cheese. I didn't start to have a problem with soft cheeses until later on. Try cutting out some of those items to see how you feel.

Sugary things still make me feel sick. I just can't eat them and don't enjoy them. I get a sick feeling if I overindulge so it's easy to avoid these things now.

We all worry about being a failure, I think. I'm a slower loser than a lot of folks and there were times when I wondered if 60 pounds was all I would lose. It's very hard not succeed at this surgery. If you aren't trying your damnedest to suck down milkshakes and force down bacon double cheeseburgers, you're going to lose weight. Your stomach isn't going to make smart food choices for you, but it IS going to keep you from eating half a pizza, I promise.

So this early in the game you should be focusing on first, figuring out the nausea so that you can improve your day to day life. Then, follow the rules. Expect to be human, expect to slip occasionally. But follow the rules 99% of the time and you're going to reach goal in no time. I'm a horrible role model. I follow the rules about 60% of the time but guess what? I'm going to reach goal in the next month...and in the long run does it really matter if it took me 17 months vs. 10 months? Nope.

Enjoy it. Learn to live with this surgery and learn to love it, too. You're going to have to make changes but you'll do just fine if you're prepared for that.

~Cheri

I was sleeved on 11/18/11 and can also echo the statements about taste changing. When I used to read what people posted, I just could not imagine ever thinking anything was too sweet. I LOVED and lived for sweets! Yesterday, I ate sugar-free Jello and almost couldn't swallow it. I thought, well I guess I don't like that brand. Then I tried a popsicle - the same ones I was eating right up to being sleeved - AND yucky. Awful. I'm so excited that sweets are not my deal, at least not now anyway.

Also, a lot of people cannot tolerate ice cream. Some think it is the fat that causes the problem. I guess we are in the process of exploring what our bodies like at this stage.

All the best to you and your journey!!!

Hi , I'm Julie I am 48 and had my sleeve on the 10th of Nov.

For some reason sweet doen't bother me. Except for artificial sweetners.

I can drink my Protien shakes just fine. I don't love thta they are sweet , but I have no effects from them.

Hope you resolve your problems soon.

Julie

Hi Suche,

I'm 42 and had my surgery on 11/9. I have dealt with some nausea when I drink too much, too fast...esp things that are too sweet. Like others have said, my taste buds have changed drastically. I have a vanilla whey Protein Powder that I've been using for years and now I can hardly stand it. EVERYTHING is too sweet for me. I think we all wonder, at some point, if this is going to work. But I just have to remember that if I follow the guidelines, I'll eventually get where I want to be!!!

You're in the right place for support....sorry, no one responded before.

Sugar doesn't make me sick, but it also doesn't do anything for me . . . in general I don't really care if I sweets or not anymore. :)

Having so much to lose made me worry about "Failing" also. Then after surgery when I found how little food it took to satisfy me-not such a big worry anymore.

I too am having a nausea issue-not bad just annoying. Thanks for all the things you guys suggested-I hadn't thought about it being sugar (I never ingest artificial sweeteners anyways). I too am so sick of all the sweets anyways. I wonder if I will ever crave chocolate again after 4 weeks of shakes for Breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Hang in there and the real key to success is having a support group. So keep posting.

I had my 2 month follow-up with my surgeon yesterday and I told him that I suspect the real reason for the liquid/mushie diet is to make WLS patients HATE sweets! :) I can't stand sweets right now, and I am lactose intolerant as well.

I'm 45 and weighed 352 at my highest, so I have further to go than many of you. But, I know I will get there and I'm working as hard as I can. The thing about being sleeved is that it makes it so much easier to do that work. I don't mind eating smaller portions and not snacking between meals because I have very little hunger.

Sushe, You are NOT going to be a failed sleever. I'm not sure it's possible to fail to lose initially because our bodies and tastes have changed so much. I know that it's possible to regain if we aren't diligent, but that's why we have to work to always get in our Protein and Water first, then our veggies, then carbs. If we remain diligent at following those rules, maintenance should be maintenance, instead of regain. That's the theory I've developed since seeing others here who are in maintenance.

Good luck! :)

Looks like I'm the oldest so far on this post...LOL!!! I had my sleeve on Oct.26,2011... Will be a month tomorrow(ALREADY). I'm on a soft food diet now. The diets they give us are called "HEALING DIETS", so our stomachs can heal from the inside! NO SUGAR, NO FAT!!! That's the whole reason we went through this... to use as a tool to change our eating habits & to lose the weight we ALL want to get rid of! I won't even try sugary things or fatty things. Everyone in my house is getting use to not eating fried foods & they all eat what I fix! Ground turkey is now used & no frying anything! Baking, broiling & my crock pot are the ways I cook now. Good Luck to all!

Different things make different people nauseous and some are more sensitive than others. Since it hasn't been mentioned that I have seen, I wanted to say Sugar Alcohols make me nauseous. I feel like I am coming down with the flu about 10 minutes after I ingest them. I found out this is a hypoglycemic reaction. My body thinks they are sugar and floods my system with insulin which zaps up all the sugar, but does nothing to the alcohol sugars, and causes my blood sugar to drop rapidly. It takes about 30-60 minutes for me to recover. I have no problems with lactose or sugar or artificial sweeteners.. go figure.

I hope you find out what it is that is causing your stomach upset. Let us know.