Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Drain Tube

it is interesting how different the surgerys and surgeons can be. i didnt even have a drain. the doc wasnt even going to give me a leak test after the surgery but i requested one because i wanted to be certain there were no leaks because i live a good 3 hours away from the hospital. the doc kept me 2 days because of the distance and gave me the leak test apon request. no leak, and no complications. the big plus is that i only have four incision sites. 2 of them are only 1 mm, and 2 of them are 4 mm. they used steri strips to close so barely any scars left now. i feel really lucky! good luck to you on your upcoming surgery!

My experience with the drain seems to be a bit different. I had the drain coming out of my left side where it was held in with stitches. I was told that it was there to drain the Fluid that my body would naturally produce after having such a large area now empty. When they removed the drain, it was very painful. I know that there were only a few inches inside my body but it felt like feet. It seemed to "hit" things on the way out (I know it didn't). This was explained as the borrowing of pain receptors by organs that don't have any. ?? Anyway, it was over quick and I was sore for a day or two.

I feel a bit worried now. Nearly every post here says that they were leak tested or xrayed before leaving the hospital. My surgeon said at my preop appt that he would put some saline solution around the sleeve line, push air into my sleeve, and look for bubbles. Has anyone else had this experience?

Shae

Drain came out today..NO PROBLEM- felt weird but no pain.. THANK GOD!!!

I was fortunate to not have a drain. I did have a leak test done the morning after surgery. I was so thirsty by that point that the dye was wet in my mouth and that felt good. I am 4 monts post op today and I can not see any of the scars except the big one, and it is only about 3/4 of an inch. No stitches just steri-strips. My surgeon said to leave them on until they fell off on their own. I had an appointment about 2 wks after surgery with my primary care and he took one look at them and said, "these things can come off" and ripped them off. Must say it felt much better after that. Honestly all the little things that are annoying in the first couple of weeks you can hardly remember after a couple of months. It really just becomes a part of your normal life.

I had my surgery dec 12th and im supposed to get mine out on jan 4th. Its been a huge pain in the rear!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I had a leak after day 7 after surgery.....they found an infection and gave me a drain immediately and admitted me back to hospital. After 9 more days in hospital and a stent placed in my stomach to help the leak they then sent me home. Once again after a week the stent migrated into my stomach and I needed to be hospitalized to watch it move through my small intestine. It finally reached the beginning of my large intestines and was removed by a colonoscopy this past Friday. I am home again but still have a drain in my side that collects about 25ml a day.

I am wondering how long these drains must stay?

I,had a JacksonPratt after my open surgery for gall bladder removal, not too after JP prgected them Came out,just before I came home. I would say it's removal felt more like it was a large splinter they were removing with tweezers. Not bad but strange sensation. You can see where,it was after all these years because,my scar is a teeny bit wider there. So if I have a JP after my RnY, it will be "Hello old friend, I know what you're here for!" Prospect doesn't concern me, presence won't alarm me. I started out wanting Dr Needleman, probably,will still have him, but if it turns out to be Dr Noria, that also will be fine..She is 46,so not a toddler level skilled, but very goodn assistant,professer at Ohio,State when she's not busy cutting holes in people and sewing them back,up. Neither of them have ever had sections/lawsuits so they,do keep their professional "noses" clean. Not shifty eyes like Slither McSlime at the former program, drat his reptilian heart! Pfttt!

Did any,of you May friends have this?