Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Drain Tube

I saw my Dr yesterday and I am scheduled for surgery Dec 7th. Got all the approvals etc and I'm good to go. I am scared and excited, but mostly scared. Oh, do I really want to do this??? 48 hour clear liquid diet before surgery and that's all.

One thing that's really bothering me is he said I will have a drain tube in for almost a week! He says it will lay beside the sleeve to make sure there is not leak? He's never had a leak. I guess whatever drainage comes out you can tell if you have a leak??? What? Anyone ever heard of having a drain tube in for so long? I can't take a shower and he said he will take it out at my post-op appt that is 6 days after surgery. Can you imagine bending over the kitchen sink to wash your hair with this drain tube in the way? This is gross. I have heard some docs don't even put in a drain tube. They take x-rays to check for leaks. Is this old school or what?

Your experience and comments welcome PLEASE.

I had mine for 8 days. It's really not as gross as you think. It has to be emptied at least twice a day, but it takes 2 seconds to do it. I was allowed to shower as soon as I went home from the hospital, so I had no issues with bending over the sink.

If your doc doesn't give you one, you might want to get a key ring lanyard for around your neck. I wore mine for the entire 8 days and the lanyard helped to support the tubing so it didn't pull. I also tucked the drain bottle into my bra (sports bras are a wonderful thing right after surgery) and that helped hide it when I went out.

I'm not sure what the whole purpose of the drain is, but I had to drink some blue liquid when I went in for my first post-op. When the blue didn't show up in my bottle, he pulled the drain. Take a deep breath and then let it out. It felt like the dropping sensation in your tummy when you are riding a roller coaster, but it wasn't unpleasant.

I didn't go back to work until my drain came out. I also used some guaze and tape over the hole to catch any excess drainage. You may be able to use a band aid, but I'm allergic to latex, so I didn't. After my doc pulled the tube, he put a bandage over the opening for three days, allowing me to shower. After the 3 days, I removed the bandage and haven't had any problems.

Someone here just went back to the hospital and posted about it because she developed an infection, but she's the first one I've heard of with that problem.

Research what you're scared about and you'll find that lots of people have had the same fears and have had successful surgeries.

Good luck on your journey!! :)

Hi,

Drain tube is to drain n e excess draining we have,so it doesn't collect under the skin.

My Dr stitched it in and it hung out of my side. I thought it was gross but it did the job.

They told me to shower and wash it with soap n Water. I got it removed 6 days post op,

And it felt so weird when she pulled it out. Coverd it with sterry strips n its all most

Completely healed....no problems hope this helps.......michele

interesting how every surgeon is different.

Mine was removed 2 days post-op before I left the hospital.

The measured the amount that was collected during that time and it was safe to remove.

I was told NOT to shower. That probably bothers me more than anything. Sponge bath just doesn't get it for me. I like my daily shower, it feels good and wakes me up. I wonder why so many don't have a drain tube? I really don't want to have to deal with it if it's not absolutely necessary. If you guys could shower why can't I?

Hi guys,

Lissa it was me who developed an abscess and i have not found anyone else. I am an extremely clean professional woman (age 46). When I went back to get the drain removed on day 9 (I had been allowed to shower as well), my tummy had some stabbing feeling but just a bit and they said nothing about it, by 2 days or so after the removal, I knew I was in trouble. The opening was healing but it was discolored and the site was hard and hot. I was admitted last Tuesday for emergency surgery to clean it out, luckily it was contained in my peritoneal cavity and did not spread. I now have an opening in my stomach area which is completely covered by gauze and go back next Tuesday. This has been a set back to me but, today I feel better. I am taking lots of suspension antibiotics as well.

Normally other than my obesity related issues I am in good health. Don't smoke or drink. I ride ATVs, go for walks with my hubby, we camp etc. So far as I rethink everything, we live remote area on a few acres. We have well Water and I am not sure if that did it or I went to Whole Foods and got natural antibacterial soap and used that right after they pulled the drain so maybe that caused it just not sure.

The thing I learned is they can help you. Don't be scared. If you need this, only you can make the decision.

Hey Lisa they never gave me a lanyard. I used a tie my husband made and pinned the bulb to that. Never thought aout lanyard that is a good one.

I knew nothing about having the drain until they gave me one. My 1 week post-op is tomorrow and they are supposed to take it out then.

I have been allowed to shower- Was told to cover the area with Saran Wrap (the cling type works better) then tape. Helpful to me is that I also have a hand held shower attachment so no Water was ever directed right at my drain area.

Funny thing is the drain was never mentioned at any of my pre-op classes or appts-so i was really unprepared when I saw it. Not painful. Not even that annoying. Mine actually is long enough to fit into my pocket and it is unnoticable when covered with a shirt.

I had a drain for a week. Before leaving the hospital, I did have an xray as well to check for leaks. I wasn't told the drain had anything to do with leaking -- it is used in other types of surgeries as well.

I was able to shower. You may get better instructions when you are discharged from the hospital about that.

My doctor used some type of tape with a loop for my drain just under my belly button. I would tuck my drain in my underwear to keep it stable and hidden. I did NOT like my drain, but it was a quick week. It was a weird feeling when it was removed.

While I had the drain, I changed my bandages daily. I did get a reaction to the bandage, but it cleared up quickly.

Sandy, I'm glad you are doing well!! I was worried about you. :) Glad to see that you still have that positive spirit!

It is probably a JP drain. These drains are used for almost all and any abdominal surgery. They're a little bulb like device that you squeeze to create light pressure that will drain any Fluid after surgery. It's normal for tissue to "weep" a bit after it's been cut and you don't want it to pool in your abdominal cavity. The amount of drainage will determine how long it gets left in. Some people need them longer, some less. What you need to watch for is amount and color. At first it will probably look quite red and should change to a light red/yellowish color.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to shower and cover it up with plastic wrap to try and keep it dry while keeping my back to the shower stream.

I have a pre-op with some person in the doctors office who will go over all the pre/post-op questions and most likely talk about eating after surgery.

Just 15 days away, I'm so scared.

I was worried about the drain as well as I am a 2 shower a day person... BUT It isnt bad at all- I could shower the day after I got home and felt 100% better after doing so- IT is not hard to empty and like Lissa said the sports bra is wonderful during this time- I am looking forward though to haveing it removed tomorrow at my 1st post op appt..

I wasn't so concerned about the drain tube itself as I was the NOT being able to take a shower!

Also, I don't understand why some, even a lot, of doctors don't even use them. If they are really necessary why doesn't everone use them? If they are not necessary, then why do the use them. I'd rather not have it if it's not really necessary.

I guess I was fortunate! I didn't have to have a drain. They did a scan the day after surgery to check for leaks. Had to swallow some nasty stuff for the scan!