Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It makes no sense to do sugar free and fat free at the same time!!! Many things that are sugar-free have a higher fat content, and many things that are fat free are higher in sugar!!

I do low carb, but only because I am carb sensitive. However, even though i'm low carb, I don't count them anymore since having my sleeve. I figure there is absolutely no way that I could eat the same amount before, especially since I always eat my Protein first... and by the time I do that I don't have room for anything else! I have been losing steadily and feel great. When I am meticulously counting everything I mentally feel like crud because it puts me into "diet mode" and I won't do that to myself. The only thing at the store that I buy special is a low-sugar ketchup. My sister (she is 6) is very sugar sensitive as well and regular ketchup sends her up the walls. I also happen to prefer the taste. Oh, and I buy the "light" cheese sticks, but only because those are higher Protein and I can't taste a difference.

As for feeling cruddy with sugar-free and low-carb products?? DEFINITELY! I noticed this immediately post-surgery. Before surgery I loved propel Water and Powerade zero... afterwards? They make me sick. I feel dizzy and weak and hot and I hate it! Even some of my Protein shakes that have artificial sweeteners bug me!

I've been cutting out artificial sweeteners for about a year now because I've started to wonder about the whole chemical/hormone connection and if this has contributed to some of my weight issues. Since I'm pre-op I've been trying to figure out how I'll do SF Clear Liquids. I guess I'm going to be limited to Water and broth.

I didn't do it on purpose... but anything with artificial sweeteners made me sick after my surgery. So I ended up doing Water and broth.... it wasn't horrible but I did get sick of it very quickly. It was better once I added in my Protein shakes, though not completely because even those had the artificial sweetener in it.

This is a great post. I'm 8 days out and of course I'm limited to water/crystal light and broths. Today however, I've been released to yogurt, applesauce...things like that. My taste buds are so sensitive and so is my sense of smell. I'm beginning to hate the taste of splenda----but for the next month, I'm following the plan set for me. Failing this tool is not an option. Blessings2u--BJ

I hate sugar free, but have been able to tolerate a blend of stevia/sugar (like that crystal light pure), otherwise, I do unsweetened or regular sugar. I do have skim milk. Personally, I don't think sugar free is essential to success, I think it sets you up to want things way too sweet and to get used to having those overly sweet things.

I"m so glad to see that there are so many others who are anti-artificial sweetener! I am 6 days out now and for a while have been trying to 'do' splenda and stevia. I have mostly been using Agave since it has a low glycemic index and I feel that is the best for me right now. Sometimes I use a very small amount of agave and augment the sweetness with stevia. I hate those chemically aftertastes and using natural sweetener tends to help that.

I do not do the fat free/sugar free anymore either. My surgeon told me that his only restrictions were no fruit juices and no glasses of milk of any kind - not even skim. I have followed that to the "T" and he said whatever I am doing just keep doing it because it appears to be working for me.

I have sf and ff everything. Low fat too and 0% or 2% yogurts. I am afraid to add more calories than necessary because I don't count. I just have three tablespoons of something three times a day and one Protein drink and sf Snacks twice a day. I don't understand how upping the calories helps lose weight. I was always taught less is more and will help weight drop faster.

As do I. I also use the light mayo as well. This was a life change for me so I plan on sticking to what my surgeon tells me. I don't want to get into bad habits....again.

This is really interesting, I have a REALLY sweet tooth, so have had a LOT of sweetner my entire life to help cut calories, and although I still have 4 sweetners in my coffee (yes most peole wretch at that too), I have to be really careful about the brand now, there is a commonly used type of sweetner (not sure which one) because it makes me so ill. I have given away a small fortune in Protein shakes which make me feel like I'm possibly dying!

Not nice, but a small price to pay! :)