Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am the only one on here that doesn't do sugar free and fat free everything??

I feel horrible when I drink sugar free lattes, sugar free drinks, and have sugar free popsicles.

Can you notice a difference when its not in your diet? I feel like it is toxic.

I know it can help cut back on calories but I don't think that is needed for when I am (or others with VSG) are eating such small volumes of everything, plus I found out recently I need to eat at least 1200 cals a day to lose weight.

I am not a carb counter- but I definately eat high protien first. Actually 80 grams per day.

What is your opinion? What does your surgeon recommend?

My surgeon's plan says eat sugar free and fat free everything but my NUT and the NPs I see know I won't follow that.

One nurse mentioned she actually thinks it is better for some people.

What do you think?

Really, and as I'm looking at your ticker it seems you are doing just fine without all the SF, FF, etc. If whatever you are doing is working, then keep doing you.

I do sugar-free mostly, but I don't follow the fat free philosophy. I do SF because it's what I'm used to doing, and because my son that lives with me has diabetes. I can actually taste when a drink has sugar in it. I usually do Decaf and unsweetened tea for drinks, if I'm not drinking Water. And, I still haven't gotten my taste back for most sweets. chocolate is the exception, unfortunately.

I don't do fat free because the substitutes for that usually make my tummy irritated. I religiously did low fat when my kids were small, and gained weight the whole time! Now, I just keep the portions small.

I agree with you. How bad can one piece of full-fat bacon be for me? I'd rather eat that one piece than a pound of the turkey bacon!

Since my surgery I hate the after taste of most sugar free foods and drinks. I can't stand sugar free Jello now which I loved before. I agree with you; as long as your daily calories are in check, why not eat the real food instead of the fat free and sugar free stuff if your stomach can handle it?

Good question. I have not done the sf or ff. Just a bunch of additives I don't need. My thought is to eat what I want, but always Protein first. Maybe this is why I have only lost 21pds since surgery but the way I look at is that this is a life style change not another diet. Right? Can you tell I am a bit conflicted. Been on a week stall at only 5 weeks out. Really messes with your head.

I agree with Diva, U wont need to eleminate them unless u are on the final stretch and feeling like they are holding u back! but to me when it comes to fat and sugar I DO the real stuff. I have my starbucks drink everyday with caramel * normal* one cause as u said at the end of the day we are eating too little and this wont make a huge difference to the calorie intake. It is actually dangerous in just one way, when ppl keep snacking all day long on sweets and Desserts and fatty stuff. Other than that I have the sugar in the morning, the fat in whatever I am eating wont bother me cause when it comes to the actual grams consumed it is really little.

I use to be (splenda and Equal addict) before sleeve but now my stock is just full, I nearly never use them.

I don't do fat-free, either. I figure we don't eat near enough to worry about a teaspoon of real butter or real mayo in our tuna salad. And all the cheese I eat is full fat. I did this so I could be normal and eat normal and not count every calorie or carb or gram of sugar that I ingest. Honestly, I think all of would lose weight no matter what we ate at this point (unless you survive on Doritos, cheeseburgers, nachos, and slider foods!). I think after a year with maintenance it matters more, but not to the point of cutting out all fat and sugar...just doing what you are doing, eating Protein first, veggies, etc, and if you want to, have a few bites of chocolate! I also don't do sugar free, but I'm not a 'sweet' person, so I'm lucky that way, but I do use sugared Creamers in my coffee, sometimes I'll have a few bites of cookie. I DON'T FEEL GUILTY ANYMORE AND I NEVER WILL AGAIN! :rolleyes: At least not for what I put in my mouth That is my mantra. I've spent too many years punishing myself for my eating habits and now I don't have to. I can enjoy a piece of pie (or a few bites) or some fish and chips without gaining any weight. Anything in moderation, right?

I also know I do lose faster when I eat more calories - it takes by body out of homeostasis, or starvation/store/stay-the-same mode.

I don't eat much dairy but when I do I tend to use 1% or 2%, on occasion I will get FF yogurt. But I found that the FF has more sugars/carbs to compensate for the lower fat. So screw that! I'll take the tiny bit of fat and burn it off. Carbs and sugars tend to make me more hungry and sabotage my weight loss. Like others have already said, we eat such small amounts anyway. Like Soon2B above said, if you're not eating all day long a lot of junky food, it should be okay. I generally stick to three meals. I never was a snacker anyway (just one big, gigantic meal from hell!). So it's still hard for me to make myself eat - especially since I'm not hungry. And most of the time a few bites and I'm full. So, I don't think that if I ate full fat it would affect me so much. I just keep the lower fat stuff also because of my husband and family. They need to eat well too! As far as sugar substitutes, I don't use much of those either since I'm not a sweet person per se. On occasion I'll have crystal light but I don't really like the flavor so much. I have a friend who cut out sugar substitutes completely, especially splenda, because of the havic it was reaking on her body. Two weeks after she got back mobility on her joints and was pain free. She swears it's toxic!!!

I am really glad to be reading this because i was worried about what i was going to do because i am allergic to aspartame and almost all sugar free foods seem to have that in it.........

As far as fat free-depends on the product. But I NEVER do sugar free. I get terrible headaches and the taste (even with stevia or truvia) is horrible to me.

When I had to do Protein shakes I went with Carnation Instant Breakfast. I think, for me at least, part of the process is to eat unprocessed and natural now since I think fast food and overly processed food is what got me in trouble in the first place.

I've been cutting out artificial sweeteners for about a year now because I've started to wonder about the whole chemical/hormone connection and if this has contributed to some of my weight issues. Since I'm pre-op I've been trying to figure out how I'll do SF Clear Liquids. I guess I'm going to be limited to Water and broth.< /p>

Most sugar free products has that nasty aspertame in it and that is actually more harmful to your insides, but go figure them health advisors telling us to eat or drink that stuff, I drink Water with a little added flavor, natural flavor that is. We are all individuals and our bodies react different to products. Guilt is not an option, if you make the right choices

I have sf and ff everything. Low fat too and 0% or 2% yogurts. I am afraid to add more calories than necessary because I don't count. I just have three tablespoons of something three times a day and one Protein Drink and sf Snacks twice a day. I don't understand how upping the calories helps lose weight. I was always taught less is more and will help weight drop faster.

I don't look for things that are sugar free or fat free, i pretty much eat normal things. My one big thing is i that i try not to drink my calories so I do drink a variety of the flavored zero calorie waters/iced teas. In my hot tea, I use splenda cause that is what I am used to and I am no longer using fat free milk, i only use a splash and I don't feel the fat free is doing anything for me. Other than that I eat most regular normal food, i do use light mayo, miracle whip and salad dressings. i only buy the no sugar added or sugar free popsicles as well.

I suppose I could lose a bit faster if I watched those things more closely.

I do a mixture. I have been dieting my whole life so there are some things that are just normal to me (fat free milk, for example). Sometimes I choose ff or low fat cheese, sometimes not. I try to make my drinks sugar free. Because this is a lifestyle change I'm trying to make healthy choices, but I'm not obsessive about it like I once was. Everything in moderation.