Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can i start really working out.

I am on week three and i have not lost a pound it seems like the scale is going up.... how do i work out with out leaving my house because it is so freezing outside i am just really having a rough go at this..

Assuming you have no equipment and household supplies you can:

Work Abs - regular crunches, side crunches, you can also do bicycles, alternating elbows to opposite knees, knees to elbows, elbows to knees - each variation works different parts of abs.

Work upper arms with push ups, biceps with weights - even if you don't have any weights you have bottles of detergent and stuff around the house.

Personally, I would suggest getting some basic things - bosu, weights, resistance strap - if you don't want to go out then order online and have shipped to you.

Aerobic - jump rope, run in place, if you have open space do suicides like they do in basketball. If you steps use them to go up and down - just need one step up and down at an aerobic pace.

Core - do planks

also you can do squats and thrusts

You can find many exercises online.

Thomas, Thank you for that list! I use the treadmill and exercise bike at my apartment complex, but wondered what else I could be doing. Those are some great ideas and I will be printing your post! :)

I think weight training is good to go with after you have a little cardio. If you circuit weight train you will burn just as many or more calories as you would with cardio but the weight training is going to help us tone the skin from the weight we are losing and provide some definitition. Cardio is good but i was told to skip most of it and focus on weights. I am only 4 weeks out today so I cannot lift more than 20lbs, but I bought some small 5lb weights and starting working my arms. Its been two weeks and you can see the difference already. Since I was pretty much in the house the whole month I also used household goods and climbed the stairs. I am mlooking forwrad to getting back in the gym this week to circuit train. I must say its been a month but my knees feel great! I will be focusing on squat,lunges and my core!!

I was sleeved on 11/3 (2 and half weeks ago). Other than walking right after surgery and increasing it each day, I just started going to the gym towards the end of last week. I just did some basic movements with weights like I used to do, but without any real weight. Just getting used to the movements again. Today I went to the gym and added the slightest amount of weight to those movements and will continue to do this for the next few weeks until I'm back to my old strength and fully healed. With that said, I would surely listen to your Dr and do whatever he suggests. I think early on after surgery it's mostly about movement and getting up, walking around etc as opposed to just sitting all the time. The key is probably just easing back into things, no sense in being in too much of a hurry and injuring yourself. Good luck!

weight.png

I am on week three and i have not lost a pound it seems like the scale is going up....

You don't have a ticker so I don't know how much weight you have to lose and how much you lost pre-op, but this is what would be worrying me. This doesn't sound right. :whatchutalkingabout

i agree, when you said you haven't lost anything within 3 wks. i would check w/dr. not worry about xercise

My Dr. said wait 4 weeks to exercise and 6 weeks for anything more like weights. But I love resistance bands, they are pretty reasonable at Wal-Mart. You can also get some workout DVDs at Wal-Mart like the Biggest Loser workouts and they are fun.

I walked the mall and other indoor places early out (also treadmill at the gym). Last night was my first real workout (I'm six weeks out) and I did Water aerobics. That felt really good.

The couch to 5K program is great. I do that when I can't make it to the gym. I started walking at week three and gradually started adding weights. The shake Weight works really well if you don't have one. I didn't go back to the gym until week 6. I started going a couple of times a week and worked my way back up to going full time.

thanks everyone funny thing though i just found out that i have been losing and my scale was broken like 15lbs over broken.!! so that pretty much made my life and now i am pretty relaxed about it i cant wait to drop more.

Megaking: i'm so relieved that only you're scale was broken - not you. Keep on keepin on.

kathy

DOS 12/6/11

Good basic exercize routine - your first piece of equipment you need is a big mirror so you can see your form. Form is key.

CORE - Planks! Start on your knees - you will shake as you do it, set a timer for 65 seconds - it gives u a change to get in position so you do it full minute.

Push ups, core ball exercizes - the key is to do several different types of exercize positions, but not everyone every day. except for planks. Start panking with at least 1 days rest in between and no more than 3.

Squats are good.

If you plan to want to include heavy weights or pull ups, etc. start working on the strength of your grip.

You may also want to get the book "yoga for wimps" as a primer.

I am big but the one thing I never gave up on is my exercize. Do as much as you can, even if it i just a little.

Your core exercizes are foundational. Core refers to the fact that it exercizes, strengthens and PRIMES you central core muscle groups...you use several sets of muscles, and have to fight coordination and balance as you strengthen. These are the muscles that when exercized the will make you seem taller, will make you more balanced and sure footed. The shakes you experience is your muscles and central nervous system relearning to work together again.