Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December sleevers!

It's funny how I went back through this thread last night and read all the posts including my own. Now looking back, almost one year later, I can say how great this past year has been, how much better I feel, how much money I have spent on new clothes, and how I appreciate each and every one of you who have gone through this journey with me for sharing your successes and trials. Praise God that we were able to have this opportunity and for enriching our lives in the way we have done. Happy Thanksgiving to all the December 2011 sleevers! YAY!

Hey, we need an anniversary thread! Some of us may need a little help for that final push to goal, others celebrating goal, and others till maybe feeling a little off track. It has been an incredible year and support from my fellow December 2011 sleevers has made such a difference!

I hope you are going into this holiday season with much joy and ready to enjoy the true meaning of Christmas (which shockingly, isn't food and wine!).

Loving life!

hey fellow december 2011 sleevers - i know you are out there - show your pretty little heads, and smaller bodies!!!! :)

we all started WLS together - look at us now!!WooHoo

lets hear it for us!!!!!

i'm counting down 9 more days til 12/15 - best year of my life, surgiversary,

I / we want to hear more from all about your progress/success - year in the life etc.

luv those stories :)

luv hearing NSV's

fellow sleevers - i'll give you my "poop" on the 15th!!! :wub:

i know there are some fellow sleevers that have had some problems - if you'd like to share, that would be nice too

maybe we can help, at least give you a shoulder to lean on - or we could lend you a hand or an ear to listen

Lets Get This Party Started

Hey there everyone...its been a long time since I've popped in here ,but coming up on one year I am thinking of all of you. Still have about 21 lbs to go to a final goal for me, but feeling awesome about being darn close to 100 lbs down!

Hope you all are well. I need to get back on a cleaner eating track, and better exercise again.

Today is my one year surgiversary! I am so happy. i only had 55 lbs. to lose and have lost 68. I have never felt better in my life. Congrats to all of us who have changed our lives for the better!

Happy Holidays fellow Dec. sleevers. It will be one year on Dec. 28th. I have lost about 54 lbs since surgery for a total of 65 lbs. I am just 3.5 lbs from the goal that the Bariactric Center set, which was based on my overall bone density, muscle mass and body fat. That is still overweight according to all medical charts, but I do carry a lot of muscle, especially in my lower body. I have lots of concerns and that is why I am here today. I am hearing far more negative responses from people than I ever anticipated. I am hearing, OMG, are you OK? You're looking ill, your face is hollow, you're to thin, please don't lose any more weight, you look so much older etc. I work in a public place and people are way to honest at times. Some days all I hear is negative. Yes,I have my supporters too, but the negativity is something I was NOT mentally prepared for. I get up at 4:30 five days a week and work out. I am 55 years young, but between 2-3 o'clock in the afternoon I could use an old lady nap, but overall I'm in good health. Losing the natural fat has allowed the wrinkles that existed, but that were hidden and plumped up with fat now shine through. I would say my face is sagging. :-( I hope to win the meg-a-bucks for some plastics, but don't see them in my future. :-( It's funny how my entire life I heard, "You have such a pretty face, to bad you couldn't take off a few lbs"... Now, the opposite.

I am concerned about this coming year, how much more will I lose? Can I maintain this loss since I've never won that battle in the past. How can I make myself look healthier and or deal with the negativity. My face is thin, no doubt, but check out the rear, it's still there bold and proud.

Has anyone here been in my shoes? If so, how are you dealing with it. I still wear a size 10, not a skinny mini here, but a round petite woman.

Happy, my primary care doc just warned me about this last week. She said that everyone, including doctors! are so used to women being fat, that when they see a normal one, they look skinny. She herself gets it all the time and I am glad she said something because I am still in the overweight catagory but having friends say "you don't really have more to lose do you?" She has a very petite build, no breasts or curves to speak of, but that is her natural. She also told me that I am very likely to start seeing the creases in my face the next 20 pounds off which will trigger a whole new set of remarks.

Her advice was to just go for what is healthy for YOU and something you can maintain. Nod and smile politiely to the inqisitors - they will likely get used to the new smaller you or perhaps they won't, but don't let it get to you,

My surgery was 12/12/11 and it has been an amazing year. I sent from 308 down to about 174-175 - I just recently moved into a size 10. That is unreal for me. I am still plump, and oveweight by the charts. My goal is to get to 158, my primary care doc says I should probably weigh in the 140s, but she wasn't sure I should necessarily go for that considering I have never been able to maintain a weight that low. I actually spent some years weighing in the 160s back when that was considered "Plus sized". Anyway, as she said, the scale is a number, I am going for when I feel like I am healthy weight but I really do want to be in single digit clothes. A 6 or 8 just isn't small like it used to me (in college, I got down to those mid 140s and never got smaller then a 9/10 so sizing has definately changed!).

Besides the numbers on a scale, life has changed for the better. My horse hobby is a whole new set of fun now that I am no longer constrained by my size. I have joined a competitive drill team and will feel comfortable wearing those slinky tops and riding in front of big crowds.

I am enjoying shopping for clothes for sure. The hazard is that everything looks good...lol.. compared to before when nothing looked good. I mostly shop at Ross Dress for Less so am able to satisfy that urge to try on 8 things, buy one, and get out of the store for about $12 so it works. What is most exciting is that I can wear fashionable shoes and boots without killing my feet so /I feel like I can wear dresses and skirts again! Woohoo!

I am even enjoying the gym alot. When I worked out before, I never really got to where I could do the fun stuff. I am doing spinning and most recently a very high intensity bootcamp style condiioning class. I love that high energy workout, it gives me a shot of "gogo" that just makes me feel good!

Friends, family and coworkers are just estatic for me! I have told some about the surgery, but don't even really care one way or another about people knowing

I have come to understand that to maintain this massive weight loss, I need to eat very little, and to eat moderate carb - really avoiding junky food. Right now, I am feeling really good about it, but a recent exposure to a bunch of Christmas treats which I normally just don't eat, but did, remind me that this is going to be something to work work work at forever!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you!

My surgery was 12/12/11 and it has been an amazing year. I sent from 308 down to about 174-175 - I just recently moved into a size 10. That is unreal for me. I am still plump, and oveweight by the charts. My goal is to get to 158, my primary care doc says I should probably weigh in the 140s, but she wasn't sure I should necessarily go for that considering I have never been able to maintain a weight that low. I actually spent some years weighing in the 160s back when that was considered "Plus sized". Anyway, as she said, the scale is a number, I am going for when I feel like I am healthy weight but I really do want to be in single digit clothes. A 6 or 8 just isn't small like it used to me (in college, I got down to those mid 140s and never got smaller then a 9/10 so sizing has definately changed!).

Besides the numbers on a scale, life has changed for the better. My horse hobby is a whole new set of fun now that I am no longer constrained by my size. I have joined a competitive drill team and will feel comfortable wearing those slinky tops and riding in front of big crowds.

I am enjoying shopping for clothes for sure. The hazard is that everything looks good...lol.. compared to before when nothing looked good. I mostly shop at Ross Dress for Less so am able to satisfy that urge to try on 8 things, buy one, and get out of the store for about $12 so it works. What is most exciting is that I can wear fashionable shoes and boots without killing my feet so /I feel like I can wear dresses and skirts again! Woohoo!

I am even enjoying the gym alot. When I worked out before, I never really got to where I could do the fun stuff. I am doing spinning and most recently a very high intensity bootcamp style condiioning class. I love that high energy workout, it gives me a shot of "gogo" that just makes me feel good!

Friends, family and coworkers are just estatic for me! I have told some about the surgery, but don't even really care one way or another about people knowing

I have come to understand that to maintain this massive weight loss, I need to eat very little, and to eat moderate carb - really avoiding junky food. Right now, I am feeling really good about it, but a recent exposure to a bunch of Christmas treats which I normally just don't eat, but did, remind me that this is going to be something to work work work at forever!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you!

Good morning.. Thank you for taking the time to write about your journey. I thought I would update you. Over the last 2-3 months those negative comments have really stopped and I'm actually getting the compliments or comments I expected, along with a few flirtations. Now that gives this older lady the GOGO juice., LOL I have continued to work out faithfully maybe don't eat as carb free as I should, but I wanted to be healthier and not feel feel like I'm dieting and fighting my body all the time. I am in a very HAPPY place. I will NEVER be a size 2 like my daughter, my make-up isn't like hers. I am very happy where I am, the workouts are doable and also are a great stress reliever, the satisfaction in my diet is at 100% so no need to closet eat or overeat. I believe I still have great restriction, as I visual measure my food and just hate that "over full " feeling and do my best to avoid it. I still don't drink with my meal as my Dr said always eat on a 6 inch plate and never drink with your meals and you'll be successful. I hope and pray that this success is long term. I have absolutely no regrets. I think once I passed the one year mark and have not lost any more weight, my skin is settling in and my face doesn't look as hollow. I now wish I had the courage to do something fun with my hair, but guess I just haven't seen anything striking that would make me cut it off.

Life is very good and I hope the same for you!!

Thanks for the like...good prompt to update! I got to goal in Feb 2013...amazing for me to lose that time of year!

I weigh in the mid 150s and wear size 8 pants no stretch. I could get smaller but i am pretty good right here. My PCP says I can be thinner but I am losing curves and heading for bony. I do indeed have a large frame and once I have plastics I feel pretty "right sized " in this general size range.

Did I mention I LOVE my sleeve and the new life it has helped me find?????

Happy, reading your update makes ME happy!!!!!!!!

Now, i am off to the gym....have a great day!

Hey December '11 sleevers:

I lost quite a bit of hair post-op and fortunately I had a lot to start with, so that hasn't really been an issue.

It's still growing back, but it's growing back curly and when it's humid like it is today, I have all these little hairs that give me this halo effect all over the place. I'm not exactly the "Touched by an Angel" type.

Being 17 months out, I'm wondering if it's ever going to be the same or if this is my new normal?

Anyone else still having this issue?

Carol

Good morning... I am 18 months out and I too lost a lot of hair between the 5-9 month span. I have always had curly hair, but the stuff growing in is almost kninky. Not pretty. I use huge hot rollers to straighten my hair, but it's reached a point where it looks thick at the root and thin on the bottom. I really need a new hairstyle, but love throwing my hair in a clip when I work out, walk etc. I hope it eventually fills in everywhere. I also noticed the white/grey hair are coming in fast and furious. It is normal for my family to hold off on greying and having it come overnight. I guess at 56 I should expect some. :-) My temples don't need frosting anymore. I'm going to look around in the 2010 or 2009 sleevers and see how they are doing .

Hey December '11 sleevers:

I lost quite a bit of hair post-op and fortunately I had a lot to start with, so that hasn't really been an issue.

It's still growing back, but it's growing back curly and when it's humid like it is today, I have all these little hairs that give me this halo effect all over the place. I'm not exactly the "Touched by an Angel" type.

Being 17 months out, I'm wondering if it's ever going to be the same or if this is my new normal?

Anyone else still having this issue?

Carol

Hello December!

Well to update I started doing serious weight training back in March and while I haven't been losing alot of weight I've been losing sizes. Now down to a 16 from a 26/28 originally. I need to lose another 39lbs before goal.

My current exercise routine is

5 days of cardio, an hour each day, two days off then 5 days of weight lifting, a different muscle group each day, also hour long workouts.

When I started I could barely bench press the bar by itself which is 45 lbs. Now I'm benching 75lbs.

On leg presses I started at 50lbs, now I can do 270lbs.. I'm leg pressing more than most of the guys in there, talk about a good feeling! lol

July 2013

July 2013

June 2011

June 2011

16 from a 26/28 originally. I need to lose another 39lbs before goal.

AmberDawn

nice to see you and all my fellow december sleevers again

love to see this thread re-opened at times :)

my, my - don't we all look great!!!!

Amber you are doing wonderful

your exercise program is very impressive :)

i'm "alittle" ashamed to admit that exercise was never one of my big qualities

its hard to know/imagine what people look like at 50, 75 et al weight loss

well, i know what 103 lbs looks like now ^_^

when i tell people from out of town, "you"/they just can't imagine!!!!

look at my profile if you like, thats what 105 lbs look like!!!!! :)

its ok to "brag" a bit, right???

we all deserve too after all our hard work we've done, and will continue for the rest of our healthier, happier, longer life :)

keep up the good work

luck on your continued success :)

kathy

congrats