Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experts Please Help: How do you know your sleeve is "full"?

Hi everyone: I am 3 weeks post op and just starting eating soft, moist and very tiny pieces of Protein. Veggies and fruit will be added next week on my program. I have been chewing and chewing but there are some more pureed types of food that go down faster, like yogurt, cottage cheese, humus, etc. I am one of those people who does get hungry (both head hunger and real hunger) and I am really trying to pay attention to my body and STOP EATING WHEN SATISFIED, OR FULL. The problem is I can seem to figure out when that is. I am also one of the people who have not changed my taste for the favorite foods I love (except asperteine-flavored beverages).

Last night I got into a scary spot because I was reminded of my old compulsive eating habits. This was the first time it happened since surgery. I was eating humus, and loving the taste so much. It also seemed to go down smoothly. I was probably slipping into an "unconsious" eating stage and ate too much too quickly because it tasted so good. I finally stopped when I began to feel sick, like if I put ONE MORE tiny spoon-full in my mouth, I would vomit! This scared me, becasue it was the first time it happened. I didn't vomit, but just felt sick for an hour or so until it passed over.

I don't want to fall into my old patterns, but don't know how to tell I am full so I can stop and not OVEREAT.

Does anyone have experience with this and have any advice. What does it feel like to you when you are full and satisfied. Help is sorely needed.

Thank you so much, Phyllis, aka, Hopeful Spirit

That is exactly the feeling you get when you have hit the top. At the first twinge of that feeling I stop. I am 3 weeks out. What works for me right now is that I eat when I am hungrey, maybe 4 times a day. I start with a Protein Shake in am which gets me 60 of Protein including the skim milk. Then mid morning I will have about 2 onces of fish and a spoon of applesauce, same again around 1, then about 4 I will have a couple ounces of something I want, then again about 7. In between food I will have a popsicle and Water. That is why you should try to eat slow and then as soon as that feeling/pain comes, stop.

I am 3 months out. You will feel full. And if you take one bite too many you will be uncomfortable. And if you really over eat it can be painful. I liken it to trying to force a tennis ball through a toilet paper tube. It can downright hurt. Just take it easy. Eat slowly and take your time. I only have problems when my head hunger takes over. So I try not to let that happen! :0) Good luck!!!

I think the "full" feeling registers differently with different people. It's important to eat slowly to give your body time to send the "I'm full" signal to your brain. If you eat too quickly, you can easily take in one or two bites of food over your stomach's limit, and that will either hurt like crazy (because in addition to that extra food, your stomach is going to push in some digestive juice and extra saliva to process the food), or you'll be sick and empty it the unpleasant way.

I think most experienced sleevers tend to undereat their sleeve--that is, we've learned through trial and error that we need to eat slowly, pay attention to our bodies, and when we sense that we are no longer hungry (NOT "we're full," since that's something different), we stop eating. That's the biggest change, I think--you eat until you're not feeling physically hungry, not until you're physically full.

Another really good way to gauge how much to eat at first is to measure, not by weight, but by volume. For instance, I can typically eat half a 6-ounce container of yogurt, 2/3 c. of brothy Soup, or 3 good-sized boiled shrimp. I know what those things look like, size- and volume-wise. I use that as a mental guide when I'm faced with food of similar consistency. I can eat approximately 2/3 c. of lentil Soup at a restaurant, for instance, but less of chili (more dense Protein per serving). This really helps me be mindful and stop eating before I overeat. Also, honestly, a few times of overeating because of mindless eating really does teach you the hard way that it's not a good idea. I had problems in the first few months with excess acid, and between that and some thoughtless eating, I was sick a LOT--especially problematic at a business conference where I was talking during lunch instead of paying attention to how much I was eating. NOT good. After a few times, you will begin to pay attention, and after a while, it becomes second nature. I'm pretty aware of how much I can and cannot eat now and simply stop--there will be more food available later if I need it.

Good luck--your sleeve is a great tool; be sure you're eating slowly and thoughtfully and allowing it to help you!

Thank you all for your understanding and advice. It is really important to know the experience of others at a time like this. This is such an opportunity to learn how to eat properly. Thank you again.

I've noticed that this changes for me all the time. At first I could get full off even one sip of Water. I was extremely swollen right out of surgery. I would have to take tiny sips every 30 minutes just to make sure I was getting enough fluids. Then around 3 weeks out I'd be full off a few bites. I'd feel it in my esophagus, so I'd have to take a long time just to eat at tiny bowl of Soup. Of course I'd never even really finish it actually.

Today at 14 months out I judge my fullness in a completely different way. I do not get that stuffed feeling in my esophagus unless I've clearly eaten TOO MUCH. There is a difference now than full and too much. My first sign its time to stop are either a hiccup and/or burp. I know once I reach this point, and if I go further I'm going to regret doing that.

Good luck! You will find your zone, just be patient and listen closely to your body.

My signal to STOP is a hiccup and or my nose will run. Those are my stop indicators. I don't try to force the food in. I have learned that when I get the first hiccup I put down the fork/spoon. This is all by trial and error for everyone. No two people will be able to gage the sense of being full the same. You will find what works for you. Good luck :)

Deb

I agree that the feeling changes as I progress and get farther out from my surgery. However, for me, it has consistently been 2-3 hiccups when I am full. The important thing for me to remember is to eat slowly, chew, chew, chew and be mindful of what I am eating. It is 3 1/2 months since my surgery and now, I can look at the amount of food and almost tell how much to eat.

As you eat more foods, you will begin to have a better understanding of how your body is reacting to different types of food and how your body will feel when you are eating it.

Oh, Phyllis, I just posted something almost identical to this! You and I are going through almost the same thing..... Even asking the experts, lol!!! I don't get sick, or feel like I need to vomit, though...just get really bad pressure when the food backs up into my esophagus cause I've eaten too much!!! Check out what I wrote/asked...

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/26823-experts-does-it-go-away-get-easier/page__pid__226744#entry226744

I agree that fullness registers differently with each of us. But as the others stated the nasty feeling was the main indicator that you had taken one bit too many. For many, I get a pressure near my breastbone area and if I don't heed the warning, it gets very uncomfortable very quickly. When I over eat or eat too fast, I also get the slimies--totally gross. So the task of learning to chew, chew and eat slower continues. We just have to remind ourselves to be mindful eaters.

In the beginning, I could not judge by feeling full. If I ate until I felt full, I was in pain about 20 min. later.

I had to judge it by the size. I knew I could eat one of those tiny cans of chicken salad. I pictured my portion fitting into one of those little cans.

Now, I feel full like I did before surgery, but on a tiny amount. If I eat one piece of pizza, I feel like I have eaten the whole pizza.< /p>

"I'm pretty aware of how much I can and cannot eat now and simply stop--there will be more food available later if I need it." I don't know your name and the "Quote" thingy didn't work right but this was such a simple sentence, yet it has PROFOUND meaning for me.

I grew up poor, really poor. There were times where I went to bed hungry and only got to eat at school. We fished on the weekend but if they were not biting, we didn't eat. We didn't qualify for assistance because my parents had a shrimp boat. Didn't matter that it was sunk in the canal behind our house. When we did have food in the house, there was no wasting. If it was on your plate, you ate it no matter how full you were. This went on from as early as I can remember until I was about eight years old and my Mom got her Nursing degree. By then, the "eat it all no matter what" mentality was stuck.

In my adult life, I have never been in this situation. My parents instilled in me a solid work ethic and a strong desire for a higher education so that I would never be in that situation. However, the thought never crossed my mind that "there will be more food available later if I need it". I am in tears now (trying to hide it from my co-workers) because this makes perfect sense to me. There is a ton of food in my house so I will never go hungry. Why would I continue to worry that there won't be any??

Now the question is how to turn it off? How do you change the way you have thought about food for your entire life?

Dear Shae:

I so totally appreciate your entry here and admire your courage to face your past traumatic family situation of food deprivation as you struggle with changing those early patterns that hold such a firm part in our minds. Perhaps a start is just consciously reminding yourself and even looking at the extra food you may have in the house every time before you take a bite. You can always go back if you are really hungry. But I know this is easier said than done.

Although different from yours, I also have my "demons from my early childhood" which interfere with my desire to only eat until I am physically satisfied. I was sexually abused as a child and have it "set in my mind" that I have to overeat to feel pleasure and be fat to protect myself. Of course, that isn't the case now, but I, like you, have to have the courage to confront those deeply set ideas to change them. Becasue my life is different now and there are other ways to find comfort and protect myself. The problem is that it isn't easy to learn those "other ways" but I am determined to do that. And for you, learning ways to convince yourself that you are no longer deprived and that food will be available when you need it, will also be a difficult journey. I think may people on this forum deal with similar issues, so you are not alone.

I found a very good workbook, "The Food and Feelings Workbook, A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health by Karen Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed. This really helped me identify my feelings when it comes to food. Maybe it can help you too. You can get it on Amazon.com. Another good book is The WeightLoss Surgery Workbook, by Doreen Samelson, EdD,.MSCP. This book also has some good tools for "emotional eating." I am also lucky to be seing a therapist to help me through this "new" stage of my life where I need to find new forms of pleasure (I know they are out there!!) and new ways to protect myself without being fat!

Good luck to you and may your journey be blessed!

Phyllis, aka, Hopeful Spirit

"I'm pretty aware of how much I can and cannot eat now and simply stop--there will be more food available later if I need it." I don't know your name and the "Quote" thingy didn't work right but this was such a simple sentence, yet it has PROFOUND meaning for me.

I grew up poor, really poor. There were times where I went to bed hungry and only got to eat at school. We fished on the weekend but if they were not biting, we didn't eat. We didn't qualify for assistance because my parents had a shrimp boat. Didn't matter that it was sunk in the canal behind our house. When we did have food in the house, there was no wasting. If it was on your plate, you ate it no matter how full you were. This went on from as early as I can remember until I was about eight years old and my Mom got her Nursing degree. By then, the "eat it all no matter what" mentality was stuck.

In my adult life, I have never been in this situation. My parents instilled in me a solid work ethic and a strong desire for a higher education so that I would never be in that situation. However, the thought never crossed my mind that "there will be more food available later if I need it". I am in tears now (trying to hide it from my co-workers) because this makes perfect sense to me. There is a ton of food in my house so I will never go hungry. Why would I continue to worry that there won't be any??

Now the question is how to turn it off? How do you change the way you have thought about food for your entire life?

Hi Chris:

\It is pretty funny that we both are experiencing the same "problems" with eating and asked the same questions, but I have received some TERRIFIC answers from people and I looked at your post and you did as well. There is a different way to know that you are full, and I am using all the advice I have received and working on fine-tuning my method of knowing when I have had enough PHYSICALLY! Physically is the operative word here. To work out what I want to eat EMOTIONALLY is a totally different subject and needs to be handled on emotional terms. NOT EASY to do. Believe me, I know all about it, but I am on the journey to work it out and I hope you can join me and the many others on this forum who managed to also work it out. A hugh undertaking, but well worth it.

The first thing I did after posting my request for help here is to set specific times when I eat so I don't graze. This hasn't been that difficult to do because I have been keeping busy in between times. That is also important. That way I don't think about food until I eat my meal. I drink lots of Water in between. And I try to change my priorities to look for value in other things besides food, and things like that. I am also eating foods like fish which have a lot of Protein and little fat and if cooked properly, is pretty moist. I make a little tarter sauce with low fat mayo and relish and put a little bit (tiny bit) in a small bowl with a small amout of fish (I have cod today) and mix it up and eat it. I happen to love fish, so I guess I am lucky, but for now, it is something I can work on. The biggest problem I have, like you, is loving the taste and wanting to eat more than I can. But, besides becoming very uncomfortable, I know it will lead to weight gain in the future and I have to force myself to put controls on myself. So I also just put about 2 oz of whatever (now it is fish) in my tiny plate and sit down and eat it as slowly as possible. I don't get up to have more until I have stopped eating for at least 10 minutes. This is hard to do, but I am getting better at it.

I also just recommended a book to Shea, above, and I will recommend it to you as well. I have found it very helpful with helpful tools. The WeightLoss Surgery Workbood, by Doreen Samelson, EdD, MSCP. There you can find different strategies for controling emotional eating.

Good luck and let's keep in touch!

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

Oh, Phyllis, I just posted something almost identical to this! You and I are going through almost the same thing..... Even asking the experts, lol!!! I don't get sick, or feel like I need to vomit, though...just get really bad pressure when the food backs up into my esophagus cause I've eaten too much!!! Check out what I wrote/asked...

http://www.verticals...744#entry226744

Me again, Chris. One more thing. Why don't you change your "Ticker" to something other than pumpkin Pies? Anything other than sweet food. That way you can start changing your mind. It is a small step process. I don't even want to think aobut pie right now. Later, maybe if I feel I can handle it. I hope I am not being too forward here. Please forgive me if you think that is the case.

All good things,

Phyllis , aka Hopeful Spirit

http://www.verticals...744#entry226744