Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anything you wish you have known/done before surgery that you didn't?

Save others from making the same mistake!

I am about 3 months away from surgery, and am trying to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row.....but there is no substitute for experience!

You that have completed the process, is there anything that you wish you had known, or that you wish you had done (maybe advice you wish you had followed), but didn't?

Maybe your advice will reach someone else and keep them from making the same mistake!

Thanks in advance for all replys.

Maybe it's cheeky, but I wish I had done this sooner! Before my health issues started.

Also, I took too much "stuff" to the hospital and then had to pack it all back home. I didn't use my laptop, just my iPhone and I didn't read any of the book I took to the hospital. I also never put on "my" nightgown or any makeup. Since I only spent one night, I left the hospital too quickly to really use any of that stuff. I DO wish I had taken my body pillow (would have made laying on my side more comfortable because of the support) and I was very happy that I took my cape, which doubled as a blanket and a cover-up for when I was walking.

I wish I had looked at my liquid pain meds and known what the metric to english conversion was for it. Because I didn't, I had to spend the night I came home from the hospital in pain. I still haven't opened the bottle.

I also bought too much Protein powder and I didn't need the baby food that I bought "just in case". The Protein Powder is being slowly used up, but I really didn't care for the taste just after I came home.

Lastly, GO TO THE SUPPORT GROUP MEETINGS if your doctor/hospital/center offers them. They have been invaluable for the support of the other sleevers, even though I'm not super fond of the psychiatrist who runs ours. I've learned almost as much from those folks as I have learned here.

I wish I had weaned myself off the lortab pain medication a couple of days sooner. It led to a Constipation problem that I wouldn't want to repeat.

definately would have started my Fiber supplement sooner, waiting until you are in pain and cant go was a lesson well learned! i would recommend a few scoops of the tasteless benefiber into any liquid u sip. also i wish someone would have told me to buy the tasteless Protein Powder and NOT the Isopure, yuck. i use bipro Protein because after surgery any vanilla flavored protein was too sweet!!

I packed too much too. All I needed was the tv that was in my room. I ended up laying there watching a Top Chef marathon (oh the irony) and a Real Housewives marathon. I had my surgery in January so I had a long fleece zip up hoodie robe packed and that was all I needed. I didn't touch anything I took and I'm a real bookworm and normally can't resist reading. Did.not.want.

I also bought too much Protein powder too.

I wish I had started saving money beforehand for clothes I'd end up needing later on.

Disney, I have watched more episodes of Chopped since being sleeved than I can count! :)

Disney, I have watched more episodes of Chopped since being sleeved than I can count! :smile1:

LOL Wow! You're only a few months in too. I couldn't watch tv for probably the first 2 or 3 months after getting sleeved. I would get so so angry at all the food commercials every other commercial. It caused the two meltdowns that I did have.

Oh! And OilSooner... I had my parents pick me up a case of Smart Water at Sam's. I remember in the very beginning I felt so thirsty but I couldn't get very much in so the smart Water really helped me out there. If your grocery store has half calorie/half sugar gatorade get some of that as well. It's 7g carbs for 8 ounces. I did drink that in the very beginning too and I still do on occasion. HEB has a store brand generic so that's what I buy.

Some of you may wag your finger at me for this one, but I wish I had that "one last favorite meal" before surgery because after getting sleeved i resented having to give up food for two weeks prior to my surgery and feeling like it would be several months before I would eat a non pureed or liquified meal again. Of course it's been 3 weeks now, so that resentment has subsided now that I'm beginning to understand my sleeve, but I was PISSED when I wanted a piece of fried chicken and just couldnt have it.

I did have a bit of ice cream the night before my surgery, but it was such a small amount that I kick myself for not firing up a juicy steak instead.

OMG did I overpack. The only thing I used outta my bag was some clean underwear. The robe, night gown, heating pad, laptop, toothbrush/toothpaste didnt even come outta the bag while I was there. I used everything the hospital provided. It was just easier, and besides they charge for every piece of gauze that's used on you, so you might as well get your money's worth!

Good luck with your surgery! And pack a small, firm pillow...it definitely helps to support your stomach when you get up out of the bed or chair.

If you have bad allergies make sure to take your flonaise. You can 'fill up' on nasal drip and it will make you sick.

Thanks for this. It reminds me to also take my neti pot, just in case. Actually, I will start using it today to hopefully have it under control.

longer-life, I'm so happy that you've finally got a date! :)

Disney, food Network doesn't seem to have as many food commercials as the other channels. I also watch a lot of HGTV when I'm on a TV kick. I usually skip anything Guy Fieri hosts on FN, mostly because he's showing all the foods that made me fat: ribs, fried everything, and his show features lots of bread products, something I'm trying to avoid for the most part.

Yes, take a small, very firm pillow to brace your belly with! I had a cold and cough before the surgery and boy did it make a difference to have something to push into. Also, ask for a binder. My hospital provided one upon request and it really helped with those first few walks and bathroom visits. You'll do great.

I brought elasticized pants that I could wear to keep my rear end covered, but they still allowed the nurses and doctor to check my belly. I also brought my Kindle loaded with some audio books. I wish I would have brought earphones for it as well.

My hospital's auxiliary provided a little pillow. You might want to check to see if yours does as well. If not, you will want to bring one. It is great for that extra support in your belly area.

I would say to not waste your time on crappy food. I love steak, and I knew that was something I wouldn't be able to eat for a while. When we went out to eat, I would order a steak. Not every place we went were good at cooking steaks. I'd rather not have had one than had the one bad one that I did have. I also avoided fast food because it wasn't good. I'd rather have a good burger than a fast food one.