Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Choose The Right Agency To Source Gastric Sleeve Surgery In Mexico?

There are so many! We are considering Dr. Fernando Garcia Govea. It seems they are all the same price and they offer the same package and the same doctors. So far I've seen: Successfully Slimmer, Ready 4 a Change, Mexico Weight Loss Surgery, A Lighter Me, and Obesity Solutions International. There are probably more. Does anyone know which is the best one to use? It's time for us to choose and I want to make the right choice. One wanted a $2,000 deposit and another only $500 deposit. $500 isn't such a risk, but $2,000 is. How do we know we arent' getting scammed? Please tell us who you used and your experience. Thanks so much for your help.

I choose A Lighter Me because my best friend used them a year prior to my decision to get surgery. So I guess in my case a strong referral is how I made my choice. Y deposit wsd only $1000.

I chose wls4betterlife best choice I ever made. I was also referd by a friend. I chose them because they are in Mexico and the rest are in the US. I felt I would be attended better with someone on site and that was the case. Good luck on your choice.

God bless...

I used Christi at Successfully Slimmer. It worked out perfectly. It was $4500 with $500 down. I had dr. Ponce de leon at Jerusalem Clinic. I had no problems! Good luck to you! :)

Hi,

I remember when I was thinking about having sleeve surgery, I sat back and read all these posts, until I felt comfortable enough to join in and ask my million questions. I had such great support and wonderful people who helped me along my weight loss journey. I always promised I would pay it forward. So I am here 3 years after my "sleeve" surgery.

I had the most amazing experience. I am now 66 years old and thought that maybe I was too old to do this. Boy, was I wrong. I picked Dr. Aceves to do my surgery. That was the best choice I could have ever made. I happend to work with a good friend who had Dr. Aceves for her doctor and had WLS with him. She made me do lots of research and take some time to make up my mind. It took me 6 months to make this choice. What an amazing journey I have had. I started out at 225 pounds and lost a total of 105 pounds. I now weight 120 lbs and have maintained that weight loss. I now know I will always be able to maintain it. I am never on a diet, but made a life style change that will last forever.

My goal is to help and support people who are just not qutie sure if they want this surgery, or if they have questions and are scared to ask anyone. I am here to listen to you, talk about your fears and help and support you in any way I can help you. You deserve to have it ALL, and there really is a way. If diet and exercise were all it took, and it worked then some of us would not need to have WLS. Most of us have lost it and gained it back many time in our lives. I believe it took more strength to have this surgery than anything I had ever done. But, I knew it had to be ALL about me and NO one else. I had earned the right to do this for myself. Life is wonderful, and I have NO regrets what so ever. My husband fell in love with me when I was fat and so now he loves me just as much when I am healthy and thin.

He has even lost weight because of how we both eat--healthy. I have had great support from him all the way though my weight loss journey. So if you are just sitting there and reading this and not sure what you want to do talk to me. I will be honest and tell you the good and the bad side of all this.

It takes work on your part and effort. This is NO mircle cure and you have to have your head in the right place and want this more than you want anything else in life. This is your tool to get to the goal you want. It takes making good food choices, and some exercise on your part too. I used to be the person who "hated" exercise....now I honestly look forward to it 5 or 6 days a week. My choice of exercise is pretty easy, I walk. So please feel free to ask questions, say what you are thinking. There isn't anything that we can't talk about. I want you to ask all kinds of questions. The biggest question I want you to ask, is what kind of a facility will you do your recovery in. If it is a recovery house STAY away from these doctors. This is why you are paying less. It must be a complete hospital--NO CLINIC'S. We are talking about your health and when it comes to your health --that is NOT the time to be price shopping.

Take care,

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008 Dr. Aceves

Hello, I alsoused Dr Ponce, I did not use any clinic, my surgery was at a different hospital than the ones mentioned, but all of my Drs reccomended him, he is much less "commercial" than most, in my opinion, and, basically a great guy.

I am from Tij so I do get to see him every month for a consult, and a y question even 4months later....he always makes time, even over the phone.

Good luck !!

E

I am going to dr Kelly and I went through a lighter me. I have not had any issues with them at all. There are a lot of great surgeons in MX however as Suzannesh said, this is not the time to price shop. Good luck!

I'm using Christi at Successfully Slimmer as well. She has been very helpful and quick to answer any question I might have. There was a $500 deposit and I am going to Dr. Kelly.

i used christi at successfully slimmer and had dr kelly--i remember being worried about being scammed too--but i am two months out now and very happy with my decision

I wanted to use dr. Ponce de leon so I googled him and thought it was his website. I got a call from a Marlon Sanchez who said he worked for the doctor. I asked if I needed to use a coordinator and he told me no! Come to find out he was a Coordinator who bought this website! I sent him a deposit and tried to get it baCk after learning the doctor doesn't even use him and that he made promises for you to have surgery with Dr. Ponce but once you arrive he would have another doctor! Marlon took down that website but I imagine has a new one by now. Dr. Ponce had no part in this and is a great doctor! So, be careful!!

You don't have to go through anyone besides Dr. Aceves' office staff. All you have to do is call them. As Suzanne said, I did not feel safe having my stomach operated on and then recover anywhere but in a hospital.

I am another Dr Kelly patient. I used Trish - she is right there in Mexico and offices right in the hospital where the surgery is performed. www.wls4betterlife.com. I highly recommend Trish because she is onsite and takes excellent care of you before and after. I am 10 months out and still talk to her at least monthly.

No matter what you do make sure you do your research - there are my options. I would not change a single thing about my journey so far - from surgeon, hospital and coordinator. I have had an excellent experience.

Kim

A Lighter Me has been GREAT- my surgery has come and gone, and I received a lovely e-mail from Linda (whom wasn't even my personal coordinator) following up, and apologizing for any confusion on which hotel we had (everything went smooth, no complaints!).

In the end, it's all about your surgeon, but it's great to have your questions answered thoroughly and promptly on your journey, and rather than waiting for one person to call me back- they all return calls for each other at A Lighter Me.

I met Dr. Kelly's new coordinator Sara (I believe that's her name) who seemed quite sweet the night after my surgery, she along with Dr. Kelly and his wife dropped off my medication at my hotel. I believe she is his personal "there in person" coordinator, which some may find more comforting as she works more directly with him.

I never felt like Sandy at A Lighter Me was ill equipped because she was asking my questions to Dr. Kelly via a phone vs. in person, and they certainly do more than just "take your deposit"- I had my every concern addressed promptly, even silly questions like "is red Jell-O OK?".